Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes , if it weren't for Hillary's corrupt ways AR would have superchargers

There is a Level 2 charger at the Clinton Library in Little Rock.

So, EVs can get at least some sort of charge.
I have stayed at hotel in Bentonville, Arkansas and got a Level 2 charge there.

Unless you have specific verifiable proof about what your statement infers, it is FUD.
Complete FUD.

Reactions: ColBatGuano
Unless those aren't painted line but are some other kind of divider. (It sure looks like just packed gravel to me.)

Yes gravel. And not technically at the airport but at a nearby hotel.

To reply to @ohmman's observation: I find it *interesting* that a hotel owner could agree with Tesla that certain Supercharger stalls may be ICE'd. Any ICE-owner seeing one or two Supercharger stalls ICE'd will obviously feel less sorry about ICE'ing the stall next to it, regardless of what the sign above it says. And, by extrapolation, will feel great about being able to occupy all those EV-charging parking places in the center of our cities as well, given that he's apparently somewhat *allowed* to do so when he cannot find another convenient parking space.

This is a plague already (in our medieval city centers in Europe), and I'm quite sure we don't need additional ambiguity about whether EV charging spots can be ICE'd. Perhaps Tesla should rethink this policy.

To reply to @ohmman's observation: I find it *interesting* that a hotel owner could agree with Tesla that certain Supercharger stalls may be ICE'd. Any ICE-owner seeing one or two Supercharger stalls ICE'd will obviously feel less sorry about ICE'ing the stall next to it, regardless of what the sign above it says. And, by extrapolation, will feel great about being able to occupy all those EV-charging parking places in the center of our cities as well, given that he's apparently somewhat *allowed* to do so when he cannot find another convenient parking space.

This is a plague already (in our medieval city centers in Europe), and I'm quite sure we don't need additional ambiguity about whether EV charging spots can be ICE'd. Perhaps Tesla should rethink this policy.
I completely agree with you about the policy, but based on other posts (somewhere in this giant thread, I believe), a variety of reasons have been detailed. Sometimes it's just a matter of limited parking. Tesla wants to put in 8 Superchargers, the hotel only will allow 4 spaces because of existing parking constraints. So Tesla does a 4+4 layout. A recent Supercharger site in Ukiah, CA is in the city-owned public parking area, and I recall that they also put in signs denoting "2 hour General Parking."

When I first heard of this policy, I had the exact same reaction as you, though. The last thing we want to do is make it seem normal for these spots to be ICEd. Well, aside from maybe not having enough Superchargers. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

@ohmman covered part of this, but to explain in a little more detail:
At the other forum on Tesla's website, a guy who owns several shopping center properties told how this works. Some of his properties do have Superchargers at them. There are laws of how many parking spaces are required by the amount of retail space is in the buildings. They generally will only build about as much parking as they are required to. So they usually are just over the requirement by 3 or 4 spaces. If they mark off parking spaces as strictly for use by Tesla cars for charging, they are not available for shoppers to park there, and are subtracted from their total required by law. They usually do not have enough extra to remove 8 spaces from their total, so that is why you see maybe only 2 or 4 marked off for charging only and the others have to be shared use so they stay in compliance with their retail parking laws. So, this really doesn't have anything to do with any decision Tesla is making or allowing. It's the shopping center property owners who just can't designate more spaces than that for charging only.

I can imagine "shopping center property owners who just can't designate more EV-spaces" because they really don't have room for them (Singapore, Hong Kong, Manhattan, Monaco, central London or Paris, etc. :)) and can imagine Tesla from time to time having to cope with such situations, i.e. seek political compromises in the form of sharing such spaces.

But this does somewhat ruin the whole "you-may-never-ICE-an-EV-charging-stall" concept, which is a very much bigger picture (there are still a lot more Leaf's and Zoe's in Europe than Tesla's, and they need those EV-charging spaces a lot more often than we Tesla-riders do).

And I cannot imagine the average (i.e. not Singapore, Manhattan, Monaco, etc.) shopping center property owner being totally incapable of reserving Tesla stalls to Tesla's, as the case may be by building a couple more ordinary parking spaces.

Rest my case :)

..... If they mark off parking spaces as strictly for use by Tesla cars for charging, they are not available for shoppers to park there, and are subtracted from their total required by law. They usually do not have enough extra to remove 8 spaces from their total, so that is why you see maybe only 2 or 4 marked off for charging only and the others have to be shared use so they stay in compliance with their retail parking laws......
OK, I understand the concept, but it still doesn't make sense to me. When at Tesla arrives, parks, plugs in, and the owner then goes into the business, isn't that the same thing as any other vehicle? I have been having this discussion with several local businesses. When I arrive to charge, I ALWAYS go into one or more of the nearest businesses. So in essence, I'm a parking customer just like everyone else. There should be no subtraction. In a similar vein, I've been in gas/service/convenience stores that have little or no parking (non-gassing) spaces. What am I missing? We're all just cars, can't we all get along?o_O;)

OK, I understand the concept, but it still doesn't make sense to me. When at Tesla arrives, parks, plugs in, and the owner then goes into the business, isn't that the same thing as any other vehicle?
I'm pretty sure that handicapped spaces don't count either. Of course it depends on the jurisdiction, but often the codes are something like one handicapped stall for every X parking stalls. Although EVs aren't specifically written into most codes (as of yet anyway), I would imagine the inspectors would count them as special use spaces and not general parking stalls, similar to loading zones.

I'm pretty sure that handicapped spaces don't count either. Of course it depends on the jurisdiction, but often the codes are something like one handicapped stall for every X parking stalls. Although EVs aren't specifically written into most codes (as of yet anyway), I would imagine the inspectors would count them as special use spaces and not general parking stalls, similar to loading zones.

Speaking of handicapped, one of the six stalls at Cranberry is a fully marked Handicapped space.

I hadn't seen that before, but presumably it means I can't charge there...

Speaking of handicapped, one of the six stalls at Cranberry is a fully marked Handicapped space.

I hadn't seen that before, but presumably it means I can't charge there...
I think you can still charge there but should use other stalls first if they are available. I've seen pictures of handicapped stalls at other locations and they indicated that.

We've come a long way from when I took delivery of my first Model S in June 2013. Thanks to supercharge.info for the Way Back Machine.

Screenshot 2016-11-13 20.12.26.png

Today:

Screenshot 2016-11-13 20.14.05.png