Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of these "big box" store locations have large parking lots that are rarely ever filled up. For the urban new Supercharger locations, you would think that it would be in Tesla's best economic interest, and the BB owner as well, to allocate a remote and rarely used corner of their lot for Tesla to install a 30-50 bay Supercharger site. If the BB owns the land, then that saves Tesla the cost of purchasing the property. Presumably that is the longest duration activity in the process, with permitting second, and the actual construction being the fastest.

I tend to think that there will be an upcoming announcement of some major partnerships between Tesla and BB owners who have large unused parking space available. It's in all parties best interest. Hit the grocery store for 30 minutes, receive a full charge. Standard operating procedure going forward for thousands of urban shoppers starting later this year. Kill two birds with one stone.

RT

I had sent a suggested site to Tesla months ago. Probably got lost in the email nether lands. I am happy to see planned Supercharger sites on the Taconic Pkwy. and Long Island. Long Island is sorely lacking in SC'ers.
Superchargers are not for local charging. LI already has Brooklyn, Syosset and the Hampton locations. Maybe one in Riverhead would help but since the island is only 115 miles long from tip to tip those really do cover it already.

Reactions: wesley888
Superchargers are not for local charging. LI already has Brooklyn, Syosset and the Hampton locations. Maybe one in Riverhead would help but since the island is only 115 miles long from tip to tip those really do cover it already.

Not well. After Christmas, I went up onto LI with my X to spend a day with friends. Coming from DE, I knew I'd need charging up there to get home, and nothing we were doing was out at the far end. JFK wasn't a serious option, which left lunch at Syosset as the only way to do it without inconvenience. That did work, though the food options were limited and the SpC was full pretty much the whole time (including someone waiting for us when we came back from lunch.)

If you haven't read the Tesla blog post from yesterday, you might want to take a look. I think it's the first time they explicitly state that Superchargers are for everyone, long trips or local (because you can't charge at home for whatever reason):

Charging Is Our Priority

Toward that goal, Tesla will build larger sites along our busiest travel routes that will accommodate several dozen Teslas Supercharging simultaneously. In addition, many sites will be built further off the highway to allow local Tesla drivers to charge quickly when needed, with the goal of making charging ubiquitous in urban centers

You skipped over this statement.
And the point is, they finally realize (in writing) that many people will not be able to do so. I don't have that problem. But I'd hate to live in a co-op (for example) where the board says 'no', and then I couldn't 'legally' charge my car at a Supercharger. Now they can with no issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
A lot of these "big box" store locations have large parking lots that are rarely ever filled up. For the urban new Supercharger locations, you would think that it would be in Tesla's best economic interest, and the BB owner as well, to allocate a remote and rarely used corner of their lot for Tesla to install a 30-50 bay Supercharger site. If the BB owns the land, then that saves Tesla the cost of purchasing the property. Presumably that is the longest duration activity in the process, with permitting second, and the actual construction being the fastest.

I tend to think that there will be an upcoming announcement of some major partnerships between Tesla and BB owners who have large unused parking space available. It's in all parties best interest. Hit the grocery store for 30 minutes, receive a full charge. Standard operating procedure going forward for thousands of urban shoppers starting later this year. Kill two birds with one stone.

RT

Few retailers own the land their buildings sit on. Long term leases are the norm.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and RubberToe
And the point is, they finally realize (in writing) that many people will not be able to do so. I don't have that problem. But I'd hate to live in a co-op (for example) where the board says 'no', and then I couldn't 'legally' charge my car at a Supercharger. Now they can with no issues.
Yup. My view is that pay per use supercharging is funding - and requiring, by opening it up to local charging - this massive expansion.

Reactions: Missile Toad
Yup. My view is that pay per use supercharging is funding - and requiring, by opening it up to local charging - this massive expansion.
I'm strongly inclined to believe that Tesla's per-kWh fees for Supercharging aren't nearly enough to pay for the actual costs. This would be especially true in areas like the California coastal counties where real estate is expensive and where the utility companies assess hefty "demand charges" for the privilege of being able to draw power at high levels. Besides the real estate and electricity, there are the substantial installation and maintenance expenses. And, now, security guards at some locations!

EV charging is a tough business. Whenever charging providers try to recoup all of their costs, this deters use, as the prices are then closer to gasoline or higher. Before we got our Model S, we sometimes paid around $12 just to add 50 miles of range to our Nissan LEAF via evGo, or $0.59/kWh for Blink CHAdeMO.

Providing Superchargers at the current prices (or free) only makes sense for Tesla as a way to sell cars, and in the future other products, while maintaining customer loyalty. It is a wise investment, IMHO, but not cheap. Besides selling Tesla products, Superchargers do produce foot traffic for nearby businesses, so hopefully Tesla will be able to monetize more of this value as Tesla vehicles become more prevalent.

EV charging is a tough business. Whenever charging providers try to recoup all of their costs, this deters use, as the prices are then closer to gasoline or higher. Before we got our Model S, we sometimes paid around $12 just to add 50 miles of range to our Nissan LEAF via evGo, or $0.59/kWh for Blink CHAdeMO.

I worry about the EvGo and Chargepoints and other EV charging networks that seem to have a lot of capital costs installing the chargers and just a trickle of profit coming in (are they even able to sustain a continued build-out). The buyers of Leafs, Volts, etc. are the future buyer's of Tesla. Even with the Model 3, we really need to keep nurturing a thriving market at the low end with strong J1772 and other chargers.

I worry about the EvGo and Chargepoints and other EV charging networks that seem to have a lot of capital costs installing the chargers and just a trickle of profit coming in (are they even able to sustain a continued build-out). The buyers of Leafs, Volts, etc. are the future buyer's of Tesla. Even with the Model 3, we really need to keep nurturing a thriving market at the low end with strong J1772 and other chargers.
I disagree. The "low end" cars (otherwise known as crappy EVs) that have to plug into the J1772 at Whole Foods so they can make it home are doing no favors for EV adoption. If anything, they make it seem to the uninitiated that EVs aren't a practical substitute for ICE cars. That image of EVs is another obstacle that Tesla has to overcome.

I disagree. The "low end" cars (otherwise known as crappy EVs) that have to plug into the J1772 at Whole Foods so they can make it home are doing no favors for EV adoption. If anything, they make it seem to the uninitiated that EVs aren't a practical substitute for ICE cars. That image of EVs is another obstacle that Tesla has to overcome.

Compared to a Tesla the Nissan Leaf is crappy but I think you have unrealistic views of how one is used and what benefit a grocery store EVSE has.

In all the years I've had my Leaf I've only used Chademo on the drive home from the dealership and I've only used the whole foods charger twice. The thing is in the time I walk in, grab some food, pay for it, and walk out. I've gotten between 5 and 20 cents worth of electricity in a Leaf with a 3.x KW charger. Isn't even worth the trouble of plugging in at the grocery store and it sure isn't giving me any meaningful range.

I simply don't drive anywhere the Leaf can't go on 80 miles charge.

* Work 15 miles one way
* Grocery store 1-3 miles one way (depending on which one I go to)

I suppose you could imagine I'm driving from Tennessee to Alaska to get my groceries. But in reality I go to one of the 3 chain grocers closest to my house.

I can drive 2 days on a full charge (drving from 100% down to a couple miles remaining), but instead I normally charge to 50-80% on a daily basis so I wake up every day with a fresh charge and spare range for whatever I decide to do on a whim.

I don't know why you think I'd ever need to plug in to get home from the grocery store.

Wait does Austin not have grocery stores, do you have to drive to Alaska for groceries?

Last edited:
No, I can't, especially because one can't even get White Lily flour here.

You aren't missing much, White lily is OK for cakes and biscuits but it doesn't have enough protein and too much ash content for pizza dough and other serious breads. I wouldn't even recommend it for cookies. I haven't bought that brand since before I learned how to bake from scratch.

I can't say I paid attention to the flour on the shelf the last time I was in Juneau. But then, it was before my dough/bread kick, I was flying back, not driving and I wasn't about to pay AK prices for groceries to bring back to TN.

Last edited:
Tip to tip. But what about side to side? 1 4 stall charger in Syosset is becoming more crowded every day. Add the service cars and it is sorely lacking. I admit sometimes I do charge there and not for "long distance". I know this is not a popular position and I do my best not to have someone waiting for me. But I did buy this car with "free supercharging for life" .

The new plan calls for 3 SCs in Manhattan and an SC in downtown Toronto. Does anyone know how Tesla deals with SCs in urban areas with high parking rates? Could an urban SC be a good way to get free parking for an hour or so if you arrive with an empty battery and are a pre-2017 car that gets free Supercharging?

Or have your home parking be on the street where it isn't feasible to have your own charger. Lots of people here in Toronto don't have driveways and have street permits where they are allowed to park overnight.

The new plan calls for 3 SCs in Manhattan and an SC in downtown Toronto. Does anyone know how Tesla deals with SCs in urban areas with high parking rates? Could an urban SC be a good way to get free parking for an hour or so if you arrive with an empty battery and are a pre-2017 car that gets free Supercharging?
At the Colorado Springs Supercharger, you have to pay but it is really cheap since you're there less than an hour. If the parking garage booth is open, they won't charge you.

Not well. After Christmas, I went up onto LI with my X to spend a day with friends. Coming from DE, I knew I'd need charging up there to get home, and nothing we were doing was out at the far end. JFK wasn't a serious option, which left lunch at Syosset as the only way to do it without inconvenience. That did work, though the food options were limited and the SpC was full pretty much the whole time (including someone waiting for us when we came back from lunch.)

You couldn't plug into their panel? I often travel with a spare 50 amp circuit breaker (already know what brand of panel they use) and wire an outlet, plug in, and head off to lunch in their car. This being dependent on where SCs are could be a pain. You should have been around 4 1/2 years ago when there weren't any SCs.