Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like major updates (at least based on my memory) to the "coming soon" sites on Tesla's Supercharger page.

- in North America: I'm seeing a new horizontal path across Canada. Is that the trans-Canada highway?
I'm also seeing new sites in Mexico, including the Yucatan Peninsula. I think you'll potentially be able to get all the way there from Texas with maybe one non-supercharger stop.

- In Asia, lots of Coming Soon sites. Did they even show "Coming Soon" in China before? Looks like they'll be more than doubling the number of sites in China, Japan, Korea, and Australia "soon."

- In Europe, the biggest change I see is that Spain will be full of superchargers "soon."

Honolulu and Maui get superchargers. Funny to see them on an island when the car will have more range than the roads on the island.

To add insult to injury Honolulu gets 2 superchargers on the same island.

Yet East Tennessee has no new superchargers listed on the 2018 map. o_O

Last edited:
Looks like major updates (at least based on my memory) to the "coming soon" sites on Tesla's Supercharger page.

- in North America: I'm seeing a new horizontal path across Canada. Is that the trans-Canada highway?
I'm also seeing new sites in Mexico, including the Yucatan Peninsula. I think you'll potentially be able to get all the way there from Texas with maybe one non-supercharger stop.

- In Asia, lots of Coming Soon sites. Did they even show "Coming Soon" in China before? Looks like they'll be more than doubling the number of sites in China, Japan, Korea, and Australia "soon."

- In Europe, the biggest change I see is that Spain will be full of superchargers "soon."
These are all new 'coming in 2018' if that wasn't clear... I assume nothing was dated that before. I don't remember any of the ones near me (metro DC and mid-Atlantic). A lot of the ones in China and the cross-Canada line are 2018, also.

Current 'goals' for the number of supercharger _sites_, for supercharger rollout. I'm guessing that 2017 target will be about 50% reached on December 31, unless the new (gen2?) superchargers are also super easy to install. All numbers are U.S. only:
Permanent charger sites: 399
Expect in 2017:......... 227
Expect in 2018:......... 277

Reactions: emupilot
“To increase efficiency and support a high volume of cars, these Superchargers have a new architecture that delivers a rapid 72 kilowatts of dedicated power to each car. This means charging speeds are unaffected by Tesla vehicles plugging into adjacent Superchargers, and results in consistent charging times around 45 to 50 minutes for most drivers.”

Interesting to say the least! That solves the problem of paired superchargers, but can slow down a charge for those on a trip and maximizing charging speed by just using the bottom end of the battery. But then again, those drivers are unlikely to go to a city center Supercharger, and they'll still get up to120kw along highways.

Last edited:
I wonder whether these new Urban Superchargers will be free for Model S/X owners or will they be subject to the charge for electricity? Just curious; it isn't as if any will ever be near me.

Tesla said "They also have the same pricing as our existing Superchargers" so I would assume if you have free Supercharging, then you have free Supercharging. Otherwise they would have had to call these something else.

Tesla said "They also have the same pricing as our existing Superchargers" so I would assume if you have free Supercharging, then you have free Supercharging. Otherwise they would have had to call these something else.
Makes sense.

The proportion of cars with free Supercharging will diminish as the Model 3 takes over from the Model S/X, I expect.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I wonder if the new urban SC at 72 kW dedicated per slot is just Tesla realizing that their current proprietary Tesla plug just isn't up to snuff for 120 kW rates. Current SCs in heavily used and hot locations like CA are having problems consistently delivering anything over 60 kW.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Some more observations that haven't been mentioned yet:

* Second supercharger planned for Oahu
* Supercharger planned for Maui
* Perth supercharger; some doubling-up in the east
* Lots more New Zealand, including the south island
* More UAE?
* Mainland Europe looks denser?
* Second supercharger on Jeju

And of course, inevitably....

* Still none in Iceland :Þ

Ughh...... adding so many more sites and still not even adding a single "planned" site here is just rubbing it in. What a middle finger to us. Second highest EV adoption rate in Europe (after Norway), top ten highest per-capita incomes in the world, massive EV incentives (newly improved to be renewed for 3 years rather than 1), clean power, low speed limits, 2nd most expensive gas in the world, population concentrated into a nice neat ring (aka, supercharging required, but easy to supply).... every other major EV player is in our market.... but from Tesla? Crickets.

Since these sites are for "targeting by the end of 2018", I guess that means "wait until 2019 to be disappointed again".

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and e-FTW
Honolulu and Maui get superchargers. Funny to see them on an island when the car will have more range than the roads on the island.

To add insult to injury Honolulu gets 2 superchargers on the same island.

Yet East Tennessee has no new superchargers listed on the 2018 map. o_O

At least you have some superchargers :Þ

But yeah, you can drive the longest circular route on Oahu twice on a short-range M3. At least their population and tourism numbers aren't as small as likewise-physically-small Jeju. Jeju does have roughly double Iceland's population and tourism numbers, but gets two superchargers that they don't even need, while we (with the main road around the island being over 1300km - aka, actually needing superchargers) get nothing :Þ

Maui may however take the cake from Jeju. Population: 154k. Less than half the population of Iceland, but with no bloody need for superchargers, yet they get one anyway. In a country whose EV incentives are phasing out. Oh, maybe they're for the tourists! Annual tourists to Maui: 231k. Annual tourists to Iceland: over 2 million. :Þ To rub it all in, do you know where Maui gets most of their electricity from? Why, burning oil!

Last edited:
I just thought I would point this out:
According to supercharge.info, in the last SEVEN DAYS ONLY, just in the USA, there have been ELEVEN locations that have opened, and FIVE newly confirmed construction sites that were previously unknown!!! This has gotta be a record. Tesla is on a serious role.

I wonder if the new urban SC at 72 kW dedicated per slot is just Tesla realizing that their current proprietary Tesla plug just isn't up to snuff for 120 kW rates. Current SCs in heavily used and hot locations like CA are having problems consistently delivering anything over 60 kW.
This was never an issue until recently, so I doubt it specifically has to do with the plug. Tesla seemed to have changed their taper profile and thermal limits, plus Tesla is doing some throttling in certain packs.

This was never an issue until recently, so I doubt it specifically has to do with the plug. Tesla seemed to have changed their taper profile and thermal limits, plus Tesla is doing some throttling in certain packs.

That absolutely isn't the reason why people are seeing 60 kW or even 30 kW charging on non paired stalls. The handles are hot from previous charges, the Superchargers pins have had tons of insertions causing physical changes causing the pins to go outside of needed tolererances. Add in noonday sun at 90 degrees outside and the Superchargers can't handle it.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
That absolutely isn't the reason why people are seeing 60 kW or even 30 kW charging on non paired stalls. The handles are hot from previous charges, the Superchargers pins have had tons of insertions causing physical changes causing the pins to go outside of needed tolererances. Add in noonday sun at 90 degrees outside and the Superchargers can't handle it.
But from the other thread, the throttling is happening on brand new units with new connectors too, so the wear theory doesn't seem to be the case.

There is new reported behavior where the supercharger would throttle to a very low level immediately after a few minutes. I don't believe this was ever the case previously. I'm pretty sure there is a change in the algorithm.

Eh. I just got 104kW @ 22% and added 70% total in about an hour, paired most of the time at one of the busiest SCs in the network (Redondo Beach).

For those unfamiliar, Redondo (8 stalls) can go from full to empty to full in the space of an hour. It's had bad pedestals or a recurring site supply issue (reduced charging - all pedestals) pretty much all year. Tesloop and other livery are seen with regularity.

Having visited ~20 states/provinces in the past 4 months, I've experienced the drop after a few minutes but only at pedestals known to be bad. How do I know they're known to be bad? Because after the first bad one encountered during a road trip, I call Tesla to get a health check for the rest of the SCs en route. I suggest anyone covering long distances in relatively short periods do the same, as the state of the SC network is certainly not as robust as it has been in past years. It's a 3-5 minute call worth having, as then you'll have a chance both to use better and to avoid worse pedestals and sites without having to hop around in an inefficient manner delaying things for all concerned. There is a feature request outstanding to add this info to Nav but until then, this is on Tesla and the reps are perfectly happy to provide the requested info.

With all of that said, I haven't observed chronic hot handles or chronic throttling or anything that would indicate a wholesale algorithm change. It's been a mixed bag across the board, pedestal by pedestal, tower by tower, and site to site.

The supercharger techs I do encounter are generally somewhat circumspect; no single cause offered.

Do I believe some changes are coming? Yes - see the urban charger threads. Do I believe that while on the road we're all going to magically get less than 102kW-112kW at lower SOC across the board? No.

Get in, get out, and on to the next (aqap) will continue to be the mantra.

Take it for what you will.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf and e-FTW