Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But from the other thread, the throttling is happening on brand new units with new connectors too, so the wear theory doesn't seem to be the case.

There is new reported behavior where the supercharger would throttle to a very low level immediately after a few minutes. I don't believe this was ever the case previously. I'm pretty sure there is a change in the algorithm.
My experiences last weekend was in Beaver, UT which has gen 1 superchargers, and has always been a problem child for me. It had also been recently used (monitored usage with 2 to 4 out of 4 slots being used for basically the hour prior to my arrival; 2 out of 4 cables were still VERY hot to the touch when I arrived). I tried 3 out of 4 before giving up and accepting the 60kW rate. On the coldest handle, it went to 108kW for maybe 30 seconds before rapidly dropping down to 60-ish. The other two I tried didn't even get above 70. I DID notice that at least two of the handles had been replaced (newer button for opening them, rather than the old style that has a physical break for the button). I figured it was just Beaver being Beaver. Then I hit Nephi, UT which is a newer supercharger, 8 stalls, no one there. It did the same thing - 100+kW for a minute or two, then down to 70kW. The handle WAS warm. I only needed about 30 miles of range, so I didn't bother switching. In a few weeks I'll be hitting up Tremonton, UT and Twin Falls, ID again, which have always been reliable for me. If they aren't this time, I'd definitely agree that Tesla changed to be more conservative.

My experiences last weekend was in Beaver, UT which has gen 1 superchargers, and has always been a problem child for me. It had also been recently used (monitored usage with 2 to 4 out of 4 slots being used for basically the hour prior to my arrival; 2 out of 4 cables were still VERY hot to the touch when I arrived). I tried 3 out of 4 before giving up and accepting the 60kW rate. On the coldest handle, it went to 108kW for maybe 30 seconds before rapidly dropping down to 60-ish. The other two I tried didn't even get above 70. I DID notice that at least two of the handles had been replaced (newer button for opening them, rather than the old style that has a physical break for the button). I figured it was just Beaver being Beaver. Then I hit Nephi, UT which is a newer supercharger, 8 stalls, no one there. It did the same thing - 100+kW for a minute or two, then down to 70kW. The handle WAS warm. I only needed about 30 miles of range, so I didn't bother switching. In a few weeks I'll be hitting up Tremonton, UT and Twin Falls, ID again, which have always been reliable for me. If they aren't this time, I'd definitely agree that Tesla changed to be more conservative.
Did you reach out to Tesla roadside while charging? They can troubleshoot this remotely for you. Could get to the bottom of this.

At least you have some superchargers :Þ

Aye, but the one location in east TN has been offline or reduced rate much of it's lifetime.

It'd be nice to have a set of the new urban style superchargers in Maryville servicing the city of Maryville, the airport in Alcoa (aka the Knoxville Airport), and the Townsend entrance to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. I wouldn't put them at the actual airport as the parking and food situation is poor for anyone not getting on a plane.

It'd be nice to have a set of the new urban style superchargers on I-40 east around exit 407 servicing Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg traffic, and the main TN entrance to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park while acting as a backup/alternate to Knoxville TN when coming from/to Asheville NC or Bristol TN.

The amount of tourist traffic through Pigeon Forge is too great to expect people to find lower power destination chargers that require a being a customer at a specific hotel or attraction (10kw (single charger cars), 13kw or 16kw in that area vs 72kw with the urban supercharger). Unless I'm misreading the other posts here were people consider 30kw at a supercharger to be slow.

It'd be nice to have a set of the new urban style superchargers north of Knoxville on I-75 around exit 122 (serviceing Clinton/Oak Ridge and acting as backup/alternate to Knoxville TN/London Ky in case one is down).

It wouldn't hurt to have a set in Athen's TN on I-75 south as an backup/alternate for Knoxville TN/Chattanooga TN.

Once you put in a couple of coverage locations it's no big deal if Knoxville, TN current supercharger goes down, you can hop to the next closest and continue from there. As is Knoxville doesn't have a much in the way of fast charging that I'd count on or recommend. But we do have I-40 and I-75 traffic on top of the metro population. I understand why they didn't focus on East TN before the bigger cities. I just don't understand why so many obvious travel routes have blank spots / long hops between superchargers given the high amount of traffic and appear that they will stay that way until 2019 or later since the 2018 map has nothing marked.

Last edited:
Did you reach out to Tesla roadside while charging? They can troubleshoot this remotely for you. Could get to the bottom of this.
Not this time. I have the 3 previous times I've been there. They recommended switching to a (specific) different stall, which didn't help any. It sure seemed like their response was based on "oh hey, the last person to charge here got a decent rate on this one. try that!" when in reality that meant that cable was still hot, and thus I got reduced rates. There's only 4 stalls there - I'm perfectly capable of hopping among them myself (fewer if another car is there) without having to call someone to do it.

But from the other thread, the throttling is happening on brand new units with new connectors too, so the wear theory doesn't seem to be the case.

There is new reported behavior where the supercharger would throttle to a very low level immediately after a few minutes. I don't believe this was ever the case previously. I'm pretty sure there is a change in the algorithm.

I don't know about this. Both times that I got brand new Superchargers in the last month, I got solid 90+ kW rates until well over 50%.

In case anyone is curious, I wrote a script to strip out only the "2018" superchargers and write them to a kml file, which you can load in Google My Maps, Google Earth, or any other geoviewer (remove the ".txt" suffix). There's a lot more than I thought!

mynd10.jpg
mynd4.jpg
mynd5.jpg
mynd6.jpg
mynd7.jpg
mynd8.jpg

Attachments

• out.kml.txt
    169.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
As a side note: Italy now has 38 current or planned superchargers, versus our zero. Also 5 Tesla stores, versus our zero.

EAFO | European Alternative Fuels Observatory

In July, we we purchased 335 new electric cars.
Italy, representing 12% of the population of the entire EU? A mere 409 :Þ

Given these figures, should I be more proud of Iceland, or embarrassed for Italy?

Also: Tesla, please stop ignoring us.... :(

As a side note: Italy now has 38 current or planned superchargers, versus our zero. Also 5 Tesla stores, versus our zero.

EAFO | European Alternative Fuels Observatory

In July, we we purchased 335 new electric cars.
Italy, representing 12% of the population of the entire EU? A mere 409 :Þ

Given these figures, should I be more proud of Iceland, or embarrassed for Italy?

How many Teslas are there in Iceland? Is there a Tesla club? Perhaps you could put together a video like the Tesla club of Portugal to try to get Elon Musk's attention.

Reactions: Carl
How many Teslas are there in Iceland? Is there a Tesla club? Perhaps you could put together a video like the Tesla club of Portugal to try to get Elon Musk's attention.

It's hard to convince people to buy a vehicle that they have to import themselves, and if something breaks, ship to another country (and of course it loses one of its prime advantages - supercharging - here). So there's not that many. The Leaf is the most commonly purchased BEV here, but there's a whole wide spread.

That said, I did have an idea today that I'm going to try out ;)

Italy, representing 12% of the population of the entire EU? A mere 409

All right Karen, you have piqued my interest. I know you are Icelandic. Why do you punctuate some of your comments with a thorn? And how do you get the screen to show the thorn? Do you call it thorn in Icelandic?

Thank you! :):)

Why do you punctuate some of your comments with a thorn?

What, you mean " :Þ "? Because it makes a more realistic sticking-out-the-tongue emoticon than " : P " ;) A person's tongue is in the middle of their mouth, not the side.

And how do you get the screen to show the thorn?

I don't understand this part - does your screen not show it as a thorn? If so, then how did you know I was writing a thorn there?

Do you call it thorn in Icelandic?

Yes. Although the English pronunciation would be more like "THAW dn" (don't voice the latter part). The "r" is an alveolar trill (or just an alveolar tap if said quickly), and the "n" devoices it (preaspiration).

We also have eth (Ðð). The difference between thorn and eth is that thorn (like English "thin"), is unvoiced and eth is voiced (like English "thine")

Reactions: GaryW
What, you mean " :Þ "? Because it makes a more realistic sticking-out-the-tongue emoticon than " : P " ;) A person's tongue is in the middle of their mouth, not the side.

I don't understand this part - does your screen not show it as a thorn? If so, then how did you know I was writing a thorn there?

Yes. Although the English pronunciation would be more like "THAW dn" (don't voice the latter part). The "r" is an alveolar trill (or just an alveolar tap if said quickly), and the "n" devoices it (preaspiration).

We also have eth (Ðð). The difference between thorn and eth is that thorn (like English "thin"), is unvoiced and eth is voiced (like English "thine")

Yes, I knew the differences. Studied language history and the evolution of the alphabet once upon a time long ago in a land far far away. . .

Thank you; I thought that perhaps you were writing an Icelandic epithet to get past the censors and not using the thorn letter as a substitute for the more traditional :p. :)

Reactions: KJD
Yeah, actually post #24 in that same thread that you posted a link to post #23 explained they are autotransformers. I'll keep an eye out for new California area Superchargers to see if those too have autotransformers. If not, it might just be a local power company requiremment.

As a side note: Italy now has 38 current or planned superchargers, versus our zero. Also 5 Tesla stores, versus our [Iceland] zero

Italy is a travel destination for road trips from locations in Europe where tens of thousands of Tesla's have been sold.
Anyone who plans a road trip vacation in Europe invariably puts Italy on their wish list.

Iceland is an isolated place and is not a road trip destination. I don't have any other reason to post this other than to suggest you pick a different angle to attack Tesla on, this one is not logical.

Reactions: Fiver