Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However once the Model 3 production hits stride and they get up to the production and sales goals they set for themselves, the cost of supercharger expansion will be down in the noise.

Tesla reports the cost of building new superchargers buried in the "Automotive & Services and Other Segment" which includes the cost of manufacturing cars, depreciation of equipment, shipping, and a number of other things. For Q3 2017, that entire segment cost them $2.298 billion (superchargers may be part of the Services and Other subsection which cost $237 million in Q3). The revenue from selling cars was $2.667 billion.

Expanding the supercharger network is already paying for itself. They are losing money because their cost of R&D was $331 million and the cost of "Selling, general, and administrative" was $652 million. They also shelled out $117 million in interest expenses. By Q2 next year gross profit from sales will probably be twice what it is now, and by the end of the year closer to 3X.

They will have to continue to expand superchargers at a high rate as the M3 rolls out because the fleet in the US is going to triple in the next year, if not grow even faster. They also need to expand service centers to handle the growth. Some service centers are way over capacity today. Portland, OR is one of them, it's supporting the entire state of Oregon and SW Washington. They just opened a bigger facility and they have badly outgrown it in a couple of months. They are parking cars in a vacant field near the building because the lot is overflowing.
I knew they should have kept the old location open.

Given the cash crunch, I expect a significant drop off in Supercharger construction in Q1. So enjoy this while it lasts. I expect it to pick up again after 3-4 months.

You might be right and I think I may have heard Depak say something similar in the Q3 Q&A but the challenge is that ramping up or down takes "freaking" forever! I think they need to keep the current level of "under construction locations" from now on and reduce costs somewhere else to make up the difference. Maybe they can cut back on Lobbying expenses! Or improve the Gross Margin on S&Xs by 0.1% to cover the SuperCharger CapEx! ;)

Here is an update on the status of North American "Coming Soon" superchargers. There were by my count 283 on the Find Us page as of April 24th which claimed to have a target opening date in 2017. Including expansions, 11 stations came online in May, 10 in June, 10 in July, 18 in August, 23 in September, 25 in October, and 17 in November which is a pace which would complete about 45% of Tesla's ambitious 2017 supercharger network expansion plans. The pace of openings will continue to be rapid, however, as the number of sites in permitting or under construction is at a record high. Below is a list of the sites that came online in November and the 90 sites for which we have information or at least rumors on their location. Sites with confirmed locations are shown at supercharge.info; details on all sites is available at the Supercharger Progress wiki.

LocationSite Known?Status
Phoenix, AZ yes under construction
Scottsdale, AZ yes operational
Willcox, AZ yes under construction
Baker, CA yes operational
Calabasas, CA yes in permitting
Carlsbad, CA yes in permitting
Concord, CA yes under construction
Cupertino, CA yes under construction
Emeryville, CA yes in permitting
Fairfield, CA yes in permitting
Fremont (Fremont Hub), CA yes under construction
Fremont (Kato Road), CA yes under construction hiatus
Kettleman City, CA yes operational
Lake Elsinore, CA yes under construction
Laytonville, CA yes in permitting
Manteca, CA yes expansion under construction
Mount Shasta, CA yes expansion under construction
Riverside, CA yes under construction
San Clemente, CA yes operational
San Dimas, CA maybe in design/permitting?
San Luis Obispo, CA no unknown
Santa Clarita yes in permitting
Sunnyvale, CA yes under construction
Thousand Oaks, CA yes under construction
Truckee I (Gateway Center), CA yes expansion in permitting
Yermo, CA yes operational
Lone Tree, CO yes expansion operational
Poncha Springs, CO yes under construction
Danbury, CT yes awaiting power on / testing
Manchester, CT yes awaiting power on / testing
West Hartford II, CT maybe in site selection
Lewes, DE yes awaiting transformer / hookup
Altamonte Springs, FL yes in permitting
Aventura, FL maybe in site selection
Miami - Brickell, FL yes under construction
Miami - Wynwood, FL maybe in site selection
Orlando, FL yes under construction
West Melbourne, FL yes awaiting transformer / hookup
Buford, GA yes in permitting
Chicago - Wrigleyville, IL yes under construction
Sioux City, IA maybe in design/permitting?
Emporia, KS yes in design / permitting?
Leominster, MA yes awaiting power on / testing
Lynnfield, MA sort of in design / permitting?
Gaithersburg, MD yes awaiting power on / testing
Auburn Hills, MI yes awaiting power on / testing
Big Rapids, MI yes under construction
Gaylord, MI yes awaiting transformer / hookup
Livonia, MI yes awaiting power on / testing
Muskegon, MI yes under construction
Roseville, MI yes under construction
Sherburn, MN yes operational
Fayetteville, NC yes operational
Greensboro, NC yes under construction
Hickory, NC yes permit approved
Jersey City, NJ yes under construction
Woodbridge, NJ yes awaiting transformer / hookup
Deming, NM yes operational
Clinton Corners, NY yes under construction
Manorville, NY maybe in permitting?
New Rochelle, NY yes in permitting
Toledo, OH yes operational
Springfield, OR yes expansion under construction
Bellefonte, PA yes awaiting transformer / hookup
Austin (North Loop), TX yes operational
Dallas, TX yes in permitting
Fort Stockton, TX maybe in site selection
Pecos, TX yes in permitting
Plano, TX yes in permitting
San Antonio, TX yes in permitting
Southlake, TX yes permit issued
Fredericksburg, VA yes in permitting
Glen Allen, VA yes expansion under construction
Mount Jackson, VA yes under construction
Richmond, VA yes under construction
Woodbridge, VA yes expansion under construction
Bellevue, WA yes in permitting
Issaquah, WA yes under construction
Lynnwood, WA yes under construction
Vancouver, WA yes under construction
Madison II, WI yes awaiting power on / testing
Oak Creek, WI yes awaiting transformer / hookup
Oshkosh, WI yes in permitting
Beckley, WV yes awaiting power on / testing
Wheatland, WY yes under construction?
Squamish, BC yes expansion under construction
Tsawwassen, BC yes operational
Barrie II, ON yes awaiting transformer / hookup
Casselman, ON yes under construction
Etobicoke, ON yes under construction
Hamilton, ON yes under construction
Markham, ON yes under construction
Ottawa, ON yes operational
Owen Sound, ON yes under construction
Pickering, ON yes under construction
Sudbury, ON yes under construction
Vaughan, ON yes under construction
Baie-St-Paul, QC yes awaiting transformer / hookup
Laval, QC yes under construction
Mascouche, QC yes under construction
Pointe Claire, QC yes unknown
Regina, SK maybe in site selection

Just for fun, below are the remaining 141 sites for which we need to sleuth out information:
Montgomery AL, Bakersfield II CA, Commerce CA, Corona CA, Daly City CA, Downey CA, El Cajon CA, Folsom III CA, Fresno II CA, Glendale CA, Hayward CA, Hesperia CA, Hollywood CA, Irvine CA, La Jolla CA, Lone Pine II CA, Long Beach CA, Marin City CA, Napa II CA, Northridge CA, Palm Desert CA, Pasadena CA, Petaluma II CA, Pomona CA, Redding CA, Redondo Beach CA, Roseville II CA, San Bernardino CA, San Felipe CA, San Francisco (Financial Dist) CA, San Francisco (Mission) CA, San Francisco (SOMA) CA, San Jose CA, San Mateo III CA, San Rafael CA, San Ramon CA, Santa Barbara CA, Santa Cruz CA, Santa Monica CA, Sherman Oaks CA, Stockton CA, Vallejo CA, Vista CA, Alamosa CO, Aspen CO, Boulder CO, Denver II CO, Estes Park CO, Darien III CT, North Stamford CT, Old Lyme CT, Stamford CT, Torrington CT, Trumbull CT, Washington DC, Boca Raton FL, Fort Myers FL, West Palm Beach FL, Atlanta III GA, Madison GA, Honolulu HI, Altoona IA, Shelby IA, Chicago (Lincoln Park) IL, Chicago III IL, New Orleans LA, Beverly MA, Braintree MA, Mansfield MA, Natick MA, Orleans MA, Seekonk MA, Wareham MA, Beltsville MD, Halethorpe MD, St. Clair Shores MI, Alexandria MN, Minneapolis MN, Kansas City MO, St. Louis MO, Hattiesburg MS, Statesville NC, Fargo ND, North Conway NH, Barnegat Township NJ, Florence NJ, Hackensack NJ, Mount Laurel NJ, Newark NJ, Paramus NJ, Parsippany-Troy Hills NJ, Socorro NM, Brooklyn II NY, Hicksville NY, Islandia NY, Lower Manhattan NY, Manhattan (Midtown) NY, Manhattan III NY, Queens NY, Yonkers NY, Boardman OR, Portland OR, Tigard OR, King of Prussia PA, Philadelphia PA, Charleston SC, Nashville II TN, Austin (Downtown) TX, Dilley TX, Fort Worth TX, Fredericksburg TX, Houston II TX, Laredo TX, Wichita Falls TX, Fairfax VA, Tysons VA, Okanogan WA, Olympia WA, Seattle WA, Wenatchee WA, Milwaukee WI, Sturgeon Bay WI, Calgary AB, Sicamous BC, Vancouver BC, Belleville ON, Cambridge ON, Concord ON, Mississauga (Meadowvale) ON, Mississauga II ON, North York ON, Renfrew ON, St. Catherines ON, Stardale ON, Toronto ON, Charlemagne QC, Drummondville QC, La Malbaie QC, Saguenay QC, Saint Therese QC, Trois-Rivieres QC

So... the promise was to double SC sites in 2017, which was then revised to double SC capacity in 2017. Presumably globally.

Well, in the US there appears to be a ~25% year over year site increase with a fair amount in the pipe yet.

In China and Australia, perhaps 100% or better. Some progress in Europe. Even the Middle East and Mexico got on the board.

So after also factoring in numerous site expansions (versus new sites alone), as well as the patchy SvC SC enablement that was supposed to be at all SvCs beginning late 2015, what’s all that average out to? ;)

So... the promise was to double SC sites in 2017, which was then revised to double SC capacity in 2017. Presumably globally.

Well, in the US there appears to be a ~25% year over year site increase with a fair amount in the pipe yet.

In China and Australia, perhaps 100% or better. Some progress in Europe. Even the Middle East and Mexico got on the board.

So after also factoring in numerous site expansions (versus new sites alone), as well as the patchy SvC SC enablement that was supposed to be at all SvCs beginning late 2015, what’s all that average out to? ;)
Did they over promise again? I'm sure this comes as a big surprise to everyone. Amazing what Tesla has accomplished so far.

Reactions: KJD
Did they over promise again? I'm sure this comes as a big surprise to everyone. Amazing what Tesla has accomplished so far.

So... no numbers.

Darn that pesky accountability,

Anecdotally, from supercharge.info the present level of construction in North America alone may be a record. No slacking off for the winter this year.

No forecast yet for completing Mexico City to the Texas border. That would be a good earnings call question. You know, when accountability matters. The larger question being IF a path into Mexico, will our warranties still be voided by entering Mexico? Do we have to take delivery in Mexico and then migrate north? Anyway, probably 10 SCs or less away from that pesky scenario.

Any update for Elon’s promise to light up the Alaskan Highway in 2 years from when he said it? Another good earnings question in the context of global growth (along with circumnavigating Australia). The first Tesla traveled from Tijuana to Fairbanks and/or Juneau in 2013. And it was ollllld schoooool - drive for 4 hours, charge for 20, rinse and repeat. For 3 weeks round trip and that’s just the Alaska Highway part. Must have been incredibly beautiful.

And of course we still don’t have a direct transcontinental route (I-10) that doesn’t require snow tires or chains year-round (now just 1 SC away - Fort Stockton, Texas - permit is almost a year old). It’s close (dogleg left through Midland will work, as will driving very slowly with a large pack).

Milestones matter. Accountability matters.

That said, the infill (as many urban SCs as distance sites) *should* propel Tesla ahead yet again - and none of that includes a dedicated global megacharger network. It wouldn’t take but a few hundred of those in North America to turn long-range trucking on its head. And the opportunities in China are staggering. Meanwhile, depot and local can happen already. Well, in 2 years when they actually produce the trucks in Nevada... and perhaps China. And Europe.

Trust me, he never said he'd light up the AK Hwy in 2 years. Shoot that one down right away.

His words are engraved on my liver: "...and eventually, all the way to Alaska."

Gee....I wonder why I keep track of that sort of arcana?

On your liver, eh?

Oh, the imagery.

What, don’t want a steady stream of Model 3 owners descending upon one of the last paradises on Earth?

Oh, the imagery, a 2nd time.

In your estimation, what’s the best quantification of “eventually”? There are parts of the Alaskan Highway that are still pretty much vintage WWII, yes?

My rule is to not visit a state or province until there’s an SC in it. Although I may make an exception for North Dakota - I don’t know who annoyed Elon from there (fracking lobbyists, maybe?), but... it’s a bit conspicuous on supercharge.info and it’s also the only continental state I have left to visit.

I can get the car to Hawaii (and back) for a lot less than I thought (since Turo would be cheating), and I’ve already been as far north as one currently can get north of Edmonton while still being able to get back using only SCs (as you are probably aware there are L2 chargers at gas stations all over Alberta). The day after it opened, even - woo hoo.

So that leaves Alaska. Taking one or a series of ferries also seems like cheating (although incredibly gorgeous views). Is it fair to say 10 days each way as it stands now?

Am thinking 15 SCs probably plus a few from Williams Lake, BC? Sound about right?

Reactions: ElectrifyAB
Cut it out, TJ - you're not helping things. You misquoted and I corrected you; there's no reason for you to lash out at someone else as well.

And as far as your estimate of 15 SpCs - that would just about do it were Tesla to march NW-wards from Edmonton to Fairbanks and, through Anchorage, onto the Kenai. You mention Williams Lake though, which suggests to me that you're considering north from Kelowna, more or less. It should not take 15 between there and WLake, but if you're also looking at thorough coverage of BC at least southwards of Prince George - in other words, coverage of 90% of the province's population (going only from memory on this last one) - 15 is a pretty good number.

Not everything, eh? Wow.

If you’re so sure, how about some references? Actual quotes?

You know, since you’re so sure and all.

Yup.

Well, I'll give you a hint. If you look at my earlier posts on this thread you can find actual facts and quotes that refute some of your misrepresentations. As to the rest, what you say may be considered simply false until supported by some evidence. Go find some.

So... no numbers.

Darn that pesky accountability,

Anecdotally, from supercharge.info the present level of construction in North America alone may be a record. No slacking off for the winter this year.

No forecast yet for completing Mexico City to the Texas border. That would be a good earnings call question. You know, when accountability matters. The larger question being IF a path into Mexico, will our warranties still be voided by entering Mexico? Do we have to take delivery in Mexico and then migrate north? Anyway, probably 10 SCs or less away from that pesky scenario.

Any update for Elon’s promise to light up the Alaskan Highway in 2 years from when he said it? Another good earnings question in the context of global growth (along with circumnavigating Australia). The first Tesla traveled from Tijuana to Fairbanks and/or Juneau in 2013. And it was ollllld schoooool - drive for 4 hours, charge for 20, rinse and repeat. For 3 weeks round trip and that’s just the Alaska Highway part. Must have been incredibly beautiful.

And of course we still don’t have a direct transcontinental route (I-10) that doesn’t require snow tires or chains year-round (now just 1 SC away - Fort Stockton, Texas - permit is almost a year old). It’s close (dogleg left through Midland will work, as will driving very slowly with a large pack).

Milestones matter. Accountability matters.

That said, the infill (as many urban SCs as distance sites) *should* propel Tesla ahead yet again - and none of that includes a dedicated global megacharger network. It wouldn’t take but a few hundred of those in North America to turn long-range trucking on its head. And the opportunities in China are staggering. Meanwhile, depot and local can happen already. Well, in 2 years when they actually produce the trucks in Nevada... and perhaps China. And Europe.
So not that it matters or is even relevant, but I'm curious. If the current state of the Supercharger network would have been accurately foretold, instead of over promised, would you be impressed, satisfied, or still be disappointed by it's current state?

I was driving by Shoppers World in Framingham, MA this morning and saw these Supercharger stations waiting to be installed. It looks like the were installing conduit for the electrical. This is about a mile down the street from where the Natick Supercharger is slated to be built. I'm wondering if that location has been scratched in favor of this one.

I saw 5 of those crates.

Attachments

• supercharger1.jpg
    supercharger1.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 68
  • supercharger2.jpg
    supercharger2.jpg
    960.3 KB · Views: 58
I was driving by Shoppers World in Framingham, MA this morning and saw these Supercharger stations waiting to be installed. It looks like the were installing conduit for the electrical. This is about a mile down the street from where the Natick Supercharger is slated to be built. I'm wondering if that location has been scratched in favor of this one.

I saw 5 of those crates.
Was it here?
Capture.PNG

If so, @BlueShift , it looks like we have one (possibly with 10 Superchargers) under construction here: 42.303636, -71.394153

Last edited: