Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's how they've used the number in the past when postulating about the number of Supercharger stations coming, so I think you're right. I personally prefer locations to be counted as physically different groups of chargers, but I understand wanting to quantify adding 40 stalls vs. adding 6.
Sure. But Elon specifically tweeted the phrase "thousands of Supercharger locations". You think this was accidental?

Don't forget about the deal with Target. If the test at the more than 100 stores goes well, perhaps they would install them at hundreds more. If they team up with another company such as Walmart or McDonalds, they could easily add thousands of locations.
Don't forget about the deal with Target. If the test at the more than 100 stores goes well, perhaps they would install them at hundreds more. If they team up with another company such as Walmart or McDonalds, they could easily add thousands of locations.

I know a handful of Targets have gotten real superchargers, but the recent announcement made it seem more like destination chargers or generic chargers.

I know a handful of Targets have gotten real superchargers, but the recent announcement made it seem more like destination chargers or generic chargers.

John Leisen, vice president of property management at Target, made the announcement today:

Accelerating our efforts to install new charging stations at Target stores across the country is one way we’re building on our commitment to investing in solutions that leave our communities better for future families. And it’s an opportunity to work with industry-leading partners to bring a more convenient shopping experience to guests as we look to design lower-carbon solutions throughout our entire operation.

The retailer said it “teamed up with Tesla to pilot its Superchargers with shorter-than-normal charging times” and now they are planning “additional expansion plans in 2018.”

I see what you mean. Maybe the initial cooperation was for Superchargers and now they will just do regular L2 chargers.

I still think Tesla should team up with a nationwide retailer and/or restaurant chain. It would allow them to grow the Supercharger network even faster and the retailer/restaurant could offer charging as a free amenity for customers.

I still think Tesla should team up with a nationwide retailer and/or restaurant chain. It would allow them to grow the Supercharger network even faster and the retailer/restaurant could offer charging as a free amenity for customers.
They have. Take a trip on I-70 and I-75 through Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan: Meijer, Meijer, Meijer, Meijer. You will be wishing for some variety. The city of Toledo has two Superchargers, and they are both at Meijer stores.

Reactions: ccutrer
They have. Take a trip on I-70 and I-75 through Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan: Meijer, Meijer, Meijer, Meijer. You will be wishing for some variety. The city of Toledo has two Superchargers, and they are both at Meijer stores.
I know that they have teamed up with some regional chains but I don't think Meijer is what I would consider "nationwide". Aren't they only in the Midwest?

One thing to consider is that the thousands could include locations in new countries. The plan could include 200 sites in Brazil, 200 sites in India, 200 sites in South Africa. Depending on how strict the planning schemes in this countries and their respective local city/government areas, Tesla could partner with an existing chain in these areas and rollout might be able to occur very rapidly.

Maybe Tesla have developed a supercharger unit with integrated battery storage, to allow for less resilient power grid connections? Maybe they've developed a pallet style one for entirely off-grid, low volume use - like the highway to Alaska, across the Nullarbor in Australia, or the Trans-Siberian Highway.

There are many ways the network can grow other than the current style of SCs :)

...Maybe Tesla have developed a supercharger unit with integrated battery storage, to allow for less resilient power grid connections? Maybe they've developed a pallet style one for entirely off-grid, low volume use - like the highway to Alaska, across the Nullarbor in Australia, or the Trans-Siberian Highway.

I have been very frustratedly working with Tesla - I can write this without violating any disclosure agreements - in developing just this. I cannot, however, say what the frustrations have been, although I have had at least a modicum of encouragement at the very, very highest level.
To me, it is so obvious that there is a winning combination in a Tesla-created power system for the isolated communities in the North Country (Alaska, Yukon and northern BC - but no reason to deny NWTerritories of same) that combines with a SpC for use by Teslas that otherwise are stranded in “islands” like Anchorage and potentially Fairbanks and Whitehorse. Now, very, very few of these communities can avoid the ancillary diesel generator for the winter months, but my own decades of running just a system on a scale only slightly smaller than that needed for such projects has demonstrated the efficacy of them. Solar works great in our high latitude summers, regardless of rain & clouds - most of these lands don’t suffer any high temperature panel efficiency degradation . MAYBE Tesla will have built out the NoAm SpC network to such an extent that this filling in of the cracks with such systems might occur in 3 to 5 years. I’ve long since given up holding my breath, but I’m not giving up all hope.

I know that they have teamed up with some regional chains but I don't think Meijer is what I would consider "nationwide". Aren't they only in the Midwest?
Oh, yeah, I did overlook the word "nationwide". I think that is narrowing the focus too much and will be hard to find what you need if you will only consider truly nationwide chains. Grocery store chains frequently are the ones with really large parking lots that make great Supercharger locations, and I don't think there are any that are truly nationwide; they all seem to be regional across several states. So having several of those regional partnerships could still cover the country and provide a lot of possible locations.

The Tesla Find Us map apparently went through a modest update. My tracking is imperfect, but it seems like there are some new sites and some which were removed. The new ones on the list seem particularly likely to have some action going on. Here are the new ones in North America:

Bentonville AR, Alameda CA, Mendocino CA, Westminster CA, Woodside CA, Fort Myers III FL, College Park GA, Forest Park GA, Oak Brook IL, Wallace NC, Incline Village NV, Primm II NV, Reno II, NV, York PA, Chelan WA, Issaquah WA, Yakima WA, Victoria BC, Aulac NB

Here are North American sites which were removed from the Find Us map:

Campbell CA, Garden Grove CA, Statesville NC, Florence NJ, Princeton NJ, Hicksville NY, Two Bridges NY, Lancaster PA, Halifax NS, Truro NS

The Tesla Find Us map apparently went through a modest update. My tracking is imperfect, but it seems like there are some new sites and some which were removed. The new ones on the list seem particularly likely to have some action going on. Here are the new ones in North America:

Bentonville AR, Alameda CA, Mendocino CA, Westminster CA, Woodside CA, Fort Myers III FL, College Park GA, Forest Park GA, Oak Brook IL, Wallace NC, Incline Village NV, Primm II NV, Reno II, NV, York PA, Chelan WA, Issaquah WA, Yakima WA, Victoria BC, Aulac NB

Here are North American sites which were removed from the Find Us map:

Campbell CA, Garden Grove CA, Statesville NC, Florence NJ, Princeton NJ, Hicksville NY, Two Bridges NY, Lancaster PA, Halifax NS, Truro NS

Wait, that was the update? Net 6 locations added? That would be a bit of a let-down. I was expecting to see a fantasy Alaska to lower-48 route at least.

I’m pretty sure there a lot more than that on the new map. Aren’t Hood River OR and Park City UT new? And weren’t there far fewer in greater Seattle than is showing in the new version?