Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like all of them right now, from user reports.

No, 3 of the 4 I charged yesterday at did not have this limitation (San Francisco Letterman Drive, San Jose Blossom Hill Road, and Big Sur). Monterey did, however (don’t know the historical usage pattern here, but It was pretty busy while I was there).

I would expect (no insider knowledge) Tesla to be tuning / fixing this feature going forward, as they get experience with it, and customers provide feedback.

Bruce.

No, 3 of the 4 I charged yesterday at did not have this limitation (San Francisco Letterman Drive, San Jose Blossom Hill Road, and Big Sur). Monterey did, however (don’t know the historical usage pattern here, but It was pretty busy while I was there).

I would expect (no insider knowledge) Tesla to be tuning / fixing this feature going forward, as they get experience with it, and customers provide feedback.
Those 3 without the warning were all very newly opened (SJ- BH within 2 weeks, and the other two within 4 days). Of them, only Blossom Hill has even made it onto Tesla's online map as open yet. And that may have just happened within the last few days. Not really a great subset to determine whether essentially all of the established locations that people are used to using have the warnings or not. Though, of course, it is sufficient to refute the statement on technical grounds (i.e. rigidly defined "all").

Those 3 without the warning were all very newly opened (SJ- BH within 2 weeks, and the other two within 4 days). Of them, only Blossom Hill has even made it onto Tesla's online map as open yet. And that may have just happened within the last few days. Not really a great subset to determine whether essentially all of the established locations that people are used to using have the warnings or not. Though, of course, it is sufficient to refute the statement on technical grounds (i.e. rigidly defined "all").

All true. That last point was all I was trying for.

Bruce.

Reactions: mociaf9
I understand tesla time, but if v3 is the future, why delay the buildout? Why spend money on v2 locations.
Oh, jeez. Seriously? How about because there are still gaps larger than the total range of the cars that still don't have any Supercharger coverage? Any kind--even v2--would be like an oasis in the desert!

Oh, jeez. Seriously? How about because there are still gaps larger than the total range of the cars that still don't have any Supercharger coverage? Any kind--even v2--would be like an oasis in the desert!
Yeah and my car got the 150kW update last week. I just charged 142kW on a V2 charger. Very nice. I don't feel a great "gotta have it now" need for the V3.

Reactions: Rocky_H and GSP
My 2012 S got the 150kw update last weekend, but my max charge rate only reached ~118kw. Maybe my car is too old for 150kw?

(I arrived to the Centralia supercharger with a SoC of 5%, and had Seattle as my final destination. So it should have used all 150kw if the car is allowed to.)

Yeah and my car got the 150kW update last week. I just charged 142kW on a V2 charger. Very nice. I don't feel a great "gotta have it now" need for the V3.
You don’t feel the need until you have to wait for a stall, a v3 SC can charge model 3s quicker which means a higher throughput
If the v3 SC technology is here and ready to be deployed then it makes no sense to keep building v2 superchargers

My 2012 S got the 150kw update last weekend, but my max charge rate only reached ~118kw. Maybe my car is too old for 150kw?

(I arrived to the Centralia supercharger with a SoC of 5%, and had Seattle as my final destination. So it should have used all 150kw if the car is allowed to.)
Basically too old, yes, but mainly the smaller batteries like that can't take rates that high. Mine is a 2014 S 85, so it also can't take power that high. I did see a little bit higher rates than I had ever seen before on a trip last week. I saw about 117 or 118kW a couple of times, where for several years I don't think I'd seen over 114kW. But I think it is only the Model 3 and maybe the newer S and X with the 100 packs that can really get up near 150kW.

And wouldn’t it be better to fill those gaps with a V3 supercharger?
No.

You don’t feel the need until you have to wait for a stall, a v3 SC can charge model 3s quicker which means a higher throughput
If the v3 SC technology is here and ready to be deployed then it makes no sense to keep building v2 superchargers
So to explain the "No" answer: Limited quantities of each type still being built right now, and these remaining minor kinds of gap places like Burns, Oregon or Grangeville, Idaho that are not on Interstates have no need for the ultra fast speed of v3 Superchargers, so let Tesla send the v3 ones to the places that really need that speed and throughput, like these places you are talking about that may have a wait for a stall. I guarantee you there will not be a wait for a stall in Burns or Grangeville, since it would be more like one car per day or two. They just need something that is better than waiting 7 hours on AC charging.

Most of the 2012 and 2013 Model Ss aren't even capable of V2 supercharger rates.

Given that there are locations where they're unable to cope with the capacity needs as it is, they should really start upgrading all of the high-usage V2 locations to V3, and then repurpose the equipment that they remove, so that the cost of adding superchargers in likely low-volume-but-interesting locations is basically just the cost of labor. I'm sure there have to be places where they think, "We'd like to have a supercharger here, but we can't justify the cost."

Here is an update on the status of the North American "Coming Soon" superchargers targeted to open in 2019. 19 sites opened in the U.S. and Canada in the last month for a total of 59 so far in 2019. Below is a list of recently opened superchargers and 125 sites about which there is at least some information on the location. Sites with confirmed locations are shown at supercharge.info; details on all sites is available at the Supercharger Progress wiki.

LocationSite Known?Status
Anaheim, CA yes in permitting
Anaheim Hills, CA yes operational
Big Sur, CA yes operational
Chico, CA yes awaiting power on / testing
Dublin - Dublin Blvd, CA yes under construction
Emeryville, CA yes in permitting
Fairfield - Holiday Lane, CA yes operational
Hayward, CA yes awaiting power on / testing
Huntington Beach, CA yes in permitting
Laytonville, CA yes under construction
Marin City, CA yes in permitting
Menlo Park, CA yes under construction
Milpitas - Great Mall, CA yes under construction
Newark, CA yes awaiting transformer / hookup
Ojai, CA yes under construction
Palm Springs, CA yes under construction
Pasadena, CA yes in permitting
Rancho Mirage, CA yes in permitting
Richmond, CA yes under construction
Rohnert Park, CA yes operational
San Diego - Del Mar Heights Road, CA yes operational
San Francisco - Letterman Drive, CA yes operational
San Jose - Blossom Hill Road, CA yes operational
San Jose - Cottle Road, CA yes in permitting
Santa Monica, CA yes in permitting
South San Francisco, CA yes in permitting
Tahoe City, CA yes in permitting
Vallejo, CA yes under construction
Visalia, CA maybe in planning
Watsonville, CA yes awaiting transformer / hookup
Windsor, CA yes permit approved
Wheat Ridge, CO maybe in site selection
Hartford - Liebert Road, CT yes under construction
Lisbon, CT yes in permitting
Meriden, CT maybe in site selection
Old Lyme, CT yes in permitting
Stamford - High Ridge Road, CT yes under construction
Stamford - Summer Street, CT yes under construction
Celebration, FL yes operational
Kissimmee, FL yes in permitting
Miami - Mary Brickell Village, FL yes operational
Miami - Wynwood, FL maybe in site selection
Sioux City, IA maybe in design / permitting?
Rolling Meadows, IL yes expansion in permitting
Zionsville, IN yes operational
Mission, KS yes operational
Olathe, KS yes under construction
Lafayette, LA yes in permitting
Beverly, MA yes permit issued
Boston - Richard B Ross Way, MA yes operational
Braintree, MA yes in permitting
Lynnfield, MA yes under construction
Orleans, MA yes in permitting
Seekonk, MA yes in permitting
Wareham, MA yes in permitting
Woburn, MA yes in permitting
Beltsville, MD yes in permitting
Bethesda - Montgomery Mall East, MD yes in permitting
Bethesda - Montgomery Mall West, MD yes in permitting
Frederick, MD yes in permitting
Riverdale Park, MD yes under construction
Baileyville, ME yes in permitting
Bethel, ME yes in permitting
Medway, ME yes under construction
Portland, ME yes under construction
Clare, MI yes operational
Escanaba, MI yes in permitting
Hudsonville, MI yes in permitting
Sault Sainte Marie, MI yes in permitting
Swartz Creek, MI yes awaiting power on / testing
Albert Lea II, MN yes in permitting
Alexandria, MN yes in permitting
Robbinsdale, MN yes under construction
St Charles - Streets of St Charles, MO yes operational
Bismarck, ND yes in permitting
Dickinson, ND yes in permitting
Fargo, ND maybe in permitting
Jamestown, ND maybe in site selection
Pembina, ND yes in permitting
Rochester, NH yes in permitting
Barnegat Township, NJ yes operational
Basking Ridge, NJ yes under construction
Boonton, NJ yes under construction
Cape May, NJ yes under construction
Deptford, NJ yes in permitting
East Brunswick II, NJ yes awaiting power on / testing
Phillipsburg, NJ yes in permitting
Robbinsville, NJ yes awaiting power on / testing
Toms River, NJ yes under construction
Wall Township, NJ yes in permitting
Incline Village, NV yes under construction hiatus
Las Vegas - Alta Drive, NV yes operational
Las Vegas - Tivoli Village, NV yes operational
Middletown, NY yes under construction
Oneonta, NY yes in permitting
Ossining, NY yes awaiting power on / testing
West Nyack, NY yes awaiting power on / testing
Yorktown Heights, NY yes awaiting power on / testing
Columbus - Polaris Parkway, OH yes awaiting power on / testing
Philadelphia - East Market, PA yes operational
Wall, SD yes under construction
Nashville - Downtown, TN yes permit issued
Austin - Stonelake Blvd, TX yes under construction
Burleson, TX yes under construction
Fort Worth - Monahans Avenue, TX yes in permitting
Giddings, TX yes in permitting
Henrietta, TX yes under construction
Houston - Downtown, TX maybe in site selection / design
San Antonio, TX yes in permitting
Webster, TX yes under construction
Leesburg, VA yes awaiting transformer / hookup
Salem, VA yes under construction
Tysons, VA yes in permitting
Auburn, WA yes under construction
Blaine, WA yes under construction
Bellevue, WA yes in permitting?
Seattle, WA yes under construction
Tumwater, WA yes in permitting
Casper, WY maybe in site selection
Medicine Hat, AB yes permit issued?
Salmon Arm, BC maybe in design/permitting
Vancouver - Howe Street, BC yes operational
Brandon, MB yes in design/permitting
Portage la Prairie, MB yes in design/permitting
Prawda, MB yes in permitting
Winnipeg, MB yes in permitting
Quispamsis, NB yes under construction
Salisbury, NB yes under construction
Woodstock, NB yes under construction
Enfield, NS maybe awaiting construction
Blind River, ON maybe in permitting?
Brockville, ON yes in design/permitting
Ignace, ON yes in permitting
Kincardine, ON maybe in permitting?
Nipigon, ON yes in permitting
North Bay, ON yes under construction
North York, ON yes operational
Renfrew, ON yes in permitting
Terrace Bay, ON yes in permitting
Vaughan, ON yes in permitting
Woodbridge, ON maybe in design/permitting
Moosomin, SK yes in permitting
Regina, SK maybe in design/permitting

Here are the remaining 387 superchargers Coming Soon in 2019 that haven't been found yet:
Dothan AL, Montgomery AL, Tuscaloosa AL, Globe AZ, Kayenta AZ, Phoenix AZ, Arkadelphia AR, Bentonville AR, Blytheville AR, Clarksville AR, Forrest City AR, Fort Smith AR, Adin CA, Bakersfield CA, Beverly Hills CA, Bishop CA, Brea CA, Cambria CA, Castro Valley CA, Cerritos CA, Chino Hills CA, Chula Vista CA, Commerce CA, Costa Mesa CA, Dana Point CA, Del Mar CA, El Cajon CA, Escondido CA, Folsom CA, Fresno CA, Greenville CA, Half Moon Bay CA, Hesperia CA, Highland CA, Hollywood CA, Indio CA, Irvine CA, Kirkwood CA, Kramer Junction CA, Lakewood CA, Long Beach CA, Los Altos CA, Malibu CA, Marina Del Rey CA, Mariposa CA, Mendocino CA, Merced CA, Mission Viejo CA, Mojave CA, Montebello CA, Moreno Valley CA, Mountain View CA, Newell CA, Northridge CA, Oakland CA, Ontario CA, Pacific Palisades CA, Palm Desert CA, Palmdale CA, Playa Vista CA, Pomona CA, Redding CA, Redondo Beach CA, San Diego CA - La Jolla, San Dimas CA, San Francisco CA, San Francisco - Financial District CA, San Francisco - Mission CA, San Francisco - SOMA CA, San Mateo CA, San Rafael CA, San Ysidro CA, Santa Barbara CA, Santa Clara CA, Santa Cruz CA, Santa Rosa CA, Sherman Oaks CA, Simi Valley CA, Sonoma CA, Sonora CA, Stockton CA, Studio City CA, Susanville CA, Truckee CA, Tustin CA, Venice CA, Ventura CA, Vista CA, Walnut Creek CA, West Covina CA, Westwood CA, Williams CA, Woodland CA, Woodside CA, Alamosa CO, Conifer CO, Denver CO, Denver - Cherry Creek CO, Denver - Tech Center CO, Idaho Springs CO, Montrose CO, Steamboat Springs CO, Telluride CO, Walsenburg CO, Darien CT, New London CT, North Canaan CT, Torrington CT, Trumbull CT, Columbia Heights DC, Washington NE DC, Washington SE DC, Washington DC, Beach Park FL, Boca Raton FL, Cocoa West FL, Destin FL, Hollywood FL, Key West FL, Lakeland FL, Miami Beach - Bal Harbour FL, Miami Beach - South Beach FL, Miami - Coral Gables FL, Millenia FL, North Naples FL, Ochopee (Alligator Alley) FL, Palm Coast FL, Pensacola FL, Tampa - Clear Water FL, Tampa - Wesley Chapel FL, Union Park FL, Weston FL, Winter Garden FL, Winter Park FL, Yeehaw Junction FL, Alpharetta GA, Atlanta - Cumberland GA, College Park GA, Columbus GA, Forest Park GA, Madison GA, Metter GA, Sandy Springs GA, Honolulu HI, Kailua HI, Maui HI, Heyburn ID, Mountain Home ID, Chicago – Bridgeport IL, Evanston IL, Evergreen Park IL, Joliet IL, Marion IL, Northbrook IL, Oak Brook IL, Oak Park IL, Bloomington IN, Elberfeld IN, Overland Park KS, Emporia KS, Elizabethtown KY, Maysville KY, New Orleans LA, Bar Harbor ME, Skowhegan ME, West Forks ME, Elkridge MD, Greenbelt MD, Halethorpe MD, Hanover MD, Ocean City MD, Rossville MD, Boston - Seaport MA, Burlington MA, Charlestown MA, Falmouth MA, Lawrence MA, Marlborough MA, Revere MA, Somerville MA, South Dennis MA, Waltham MA, Detroit MI, Mackinaw City MI, Marquette MI, Novi MI, Bloomington MN, Maple Grove MN, Minneapolis MN, Minnetonka MN, Richfield MN, St Paul MN, St. Louis Park MN, Brookhaven MS, Hattiesburg MS, Brentwood MO, St. Louis MO, Bighorn MT, Glendive MT, Great Falls MT, Helena MT, Kalispell MT, Miles City MT, Shelby MT, Primm NV, Reno NV, North Conway NH, Wolfeboro NH, Bridgewater NJ, Cherry Hill NJ, Edgewater NJ, Elizabeth NJ, Hackensack NJ, Hamilton Township NJ, Mount Laurel NJ, Newark NJ, Pompton Lakes NJ, Roxbury Township NJ, Summit NJ, Wayne NJ, West Orange NJ, Clayton NM, Clovis NM, Grants NM, Soccoro NM, Astoria NY, Bath Beach NY, Bay Shore NY, Bedford Hills NY, Bergen Beach NY, Brooklyn Heights NY, Buffalo NY, Centuck NY, Chelsea NY, East Hampton NY, Elmhurst NY, Flushing NY, Gowanus NY, Harlem NY, Ithaca NY, Kips Bay NY, Lake Placid NY, Little Neck NY, Mahwah NY, Manorville NY, Port Chester NY, Scarsdale NY, Shirley NY, Upper East Side NY, Wantagh NY, White Plains NY, Woodbury NY, Durham NC, Point Harbor NC, Grand Forks ND, Akron OH, Chillicothe OH, Cleveland OH, Henryetta OK, Boardman OR, Burns OR, Hood River OR, Madras OR, Newport OR, Ontario OR, Portland OR, Portland NW OR, Portland NE OR, Portland SE OR, Roseburg OR, Salem OR, Bridesburg PA, King of Prussia PA, Pittsburgh PA, Plymouth Meeting PA, Springfield PA, Swartzville PA, Newport RI, Charleston SC, Austin - Downtown TX, Beaumont TX, Boerne TX, Brenham TX, Cedar Park TX, College Station TX, Dallas (Downtown) TX, Dilley TX, Falfurrias TX, Fredericksburg TX, Houston TX, Houston TX - Uptown, Lubbock TX, San Angelo TX, Selma TX, Ogden UT, Park City UT, Provo UT, Lyndon VT, Rutland VT, Fairfax VA, Gainesville VA, Newport News VA, Roanoke VA, Chelan WA, Enumclaw WA, Forks WA, Kirkland - Totem Lake WA, Longview WA, Okanogan WA, Olympia WA, Ritzville WA, Seattle - Northgate WA, Seattle - University Village WA, Snoqualmie WA, Spokane WA, Tacoma WA, Yakima WA, Lake Geneva WI, Milwaukee WI, Sturgeon Bay WI, Waukesha WI, Cody WY, Bassano AB, Calgary AB, Burnaby BC, Castlegar BC, Creston BC, Fernie BC, Grand Forks BC, Osoyoos BC, Princeton BC, Richmond BC, Sicamous BC, Vancouver - North BC, Vancouver - West BC, White Rock BC, Reynolds MB, Moncton NB, Saint John NB, Batchawana Bay ON, Blind River ON, Bracebridge ON, Brampton ON, Deep River ON, Dryden ON, Espanola ON, Kenora ON, Mississauga ON, Nepean ON, Newmarket ON, Orangeville ON, Orillia ON, Perth ON, Peterborough ON, Sault Ste. Marie ON, Scarborough ON, St. Catharines ON, Strathroy ON, Thunder Bay ON, Toronto - Liberty Village ON, Toronto - The Annex ON, Toronto - Yonge / Eglinton ON, Upsala ON, Waterloo ON, Wawa ON, Weston ON, White River ON, Charlemagne QC, Gatineau QC, Griffintown QC, La Pocatière QC, Lachute QC, Lebourgneuf QC, L’Étape QC, Saguenay QC, Saint Georges QC, Saint Sauveur QC, Saint Therese QC, Sherbrooke QC, Chaplin SK, Maple Creek SK, Moose Jaw SK, Swift Current SK, Wolsely SK

The Fresno Service Center recently opened up. Hurrah! I heard from some fellow owners who attended the grand opening that a Tesla regional representative was present. The person asked the owners present to suggest locations for the second Fresno Supercharger. Given this informal discussion between locals and a regional representative, I have to conclude that any Supercharger here (including expanding the existing site) will be shelved until 2020.

Since Visalia (about 60 miles south of the existing Fresno Supercharger) appears to be getting off the ground and is in planning discussions, the urgency to add another location in Fresno is not as great. With Merced on the list too, Tesla may decide to erect all three locations consecutively next year.

Reactions: mociaf9 and bmah
Does anyone know if Tesla discloses how much superchargers cost them to run annually? I’ve always been both impressed and surprised that Tesla continues to aggressively build out Supercharger sites when each one costs them potentially 6 figures in capital expenses, followed by potentially tens of thousands annually in maintenance and electricity. (The amount they charge customers for electricity surely doesn’t even cover their own electric bill, leave alone other maintenance and potential rent costs). They do have the option of doing (in the US) what they did in Europe and allowing their vehicles to be compatible with both the Tesla Superchargers as well as third party CCS chargers to not only lighten the load on superchargers, but also increase the locations where it is possible to charge the car with CCS. I’m happy for every new supercharger site that opens (I have free supercharging) but always wonder how sustainable continued aggressive expansion and operation of superchargers is to their bottom line. If there are any hard numbers on costs published I would love to see them.

Reactions: Electroman
Did anybody else notice California supercharging rate is now $0.26/kWh all across the board

They changed it awhile ago. It's now a flat rate everywhere in the US depending on if the state allows them to just sell by the kWh or if they have to charge by the minute. In places they can sell electricity by the kWh it's .28 cents no matter where you are. In the states they have to charge by the minute it's now .26 cents when charging above 60kW, and only .13 cents when charging below 60kW (into the taper).

Gone are the days where every state had a different rate. Before there were dozens of possible costs, now it's down to just 3 possible charge ($) rates: Flat Rate, above 60kW, or below 60kW.

Tesla's SC website has a breakdown: Supercharging

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
Does anyone know if Tesla discloses how much superchargers cost them to run annually? I’ve always been both impressed and surprised that Tesla continues to aggressively build out Supercharger sites when each one costs them potentially 6 figures in capital expenses, followed by potentially tens of thousands annually in maintenance and electricity. (The amount they charge customers for electricity surely doesn’t even cover their own electric bill, leave alone other maintenance and potential rent costs). They do have the option of doing (in the US) what they did in Europe and allowing their vehicles to be compatible with both the Tesla Superchargers as well as third party CCS chargers to not only lighten the load on superchargers, but also increase the locations where it is possible to charge the car with CCS. I’m happy for every new supercharger site that opens (I have free supercharging) but always wonder how sustainable continued aggressive expansion and operation of superchargers is to their bottom line. If there are any hard numbers on costs published I would love to see them.

This viewpoint is incredibly short-sighted, and instead you should be asking yourself how many buyers have been tipped over to the buy column simply because the supercharger network is so extensive.

Additionally, Tesla does not foot the bill exclusively for Supercharger build out, maintenance, and power. There are very intricate negotiations that go into each site with cost and revenue sharing for the property owner and Tesla.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Given that there are locations where they're unable to cope with the capacity needs as it is, they should really start upgrading all of the high-usage V2 locations to V3, and then repurpose the equipment that they remove, so that the cost of adding superchargers in likely low-volume-but-interesting locations is basically just the cost of labor. I'm sure there have to be places where they think, "We'd like to have a supercharger here, but we can't justify the cost."

This is a great idea, that preserves resources through re-use. It may cost more in installation labor, but saves on capital investment.