Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I created a few charts with data from supercharge.info via a slightly modified version of this code (specified a.address.country and a.address.region on line 1) with Excel and gifmaker.me. See the animation below:
output_ER00GX.gif

For individual images, see this album.

Some usage patterns that help Tesla maximize their longevity, and minimize their expenses:
1. Extended charges from low SoC to 50-70%, without switching stalls, at SuperChargers
2. Charging during off-peak times (Texas has nearly free electricity during peak winds at midnight, CA (most likely) in the mid-day)
3. Charging sessions spread-out, evenly, throughout the day (diminishing lines, and congestion), thereby improving user experience
4. Compatible businesses, in walking distance, that Tesla drivers frequent (encouraging those businesses to defray some costs associated with charging);
5. At least one person charging, overnight, for purposes of completing 250+ miles in a continuing trip (fitting points #2 & 3, above)
6. 90% of drivers avoiding charges in the 90%+ SoC;
7. At least some reliance, by long distance drivers, on destination chargers, from which the local businesses lend a hand in expenses
8. At least some reliance, by long distance drivers, on charity from friends and family, with 'trickle-charging' as they visit away from home
9. Making sure that all drivers, at all times, drive downhill, with a tail wind, with tires over-inflated (lowering rolling resistance), drafting behind trucks. Don't laugh -- eventually self driving vehicles will 'convoy' in a bumper-to-bumper arrangement with minimal wind resistance.
10. All car batteries arrive at neither too hot, nor too cold temperatures (heat is a problem here in Texas).
11. Drivers are fully aware of the 'pairing' stalls concept, and they can recognize which stalls are in a pair.
12. All drivers pay for all charges, and the payments are on the order of 2X to 3X the cost of electricity (so that maintenance and growth of the network is possible).
13. Tesla combines 'The Boring Company' with a "Grub Hub" outfit, to deliver food at a 20% premium, direct to the supercharger stalls.
14. Tesla combines 'The Boring Company' with a 'Boston Robotics' to remove and replace defective inverters, as they fail.

I created a few charts with data from supercharge.info via a slightly modified version of this code (specified a.address.country and a.address.region on line 1) with Excel and gifmaker.me. See the animation below:
For individual images, see this album.
Nice looking charts. How hard would it be to make one showing number of supercharger sites per state and show all 50 states?

Thanks for sharing. I know there are no planned Superchargers in Alaska, but there are several planned in Hawaii and Washington DC. Do we know whether any of those planned ones are permitted yet?
That website that has those charts is the centralized place where everything gets added once something gets found, so if it's not there yet, nothing has been found yet.

*EDIT* I guess I could elaborate a little bit. This forum at TMC is where people start these threads when they find a building permit, and then it continues to get updated with construction status, pictures, etc. But there are so many regional sections that it would be a pain to look through them all to see what's new. So www.supercharge.info is a more "one stop shop" that has the map, change updates, etc. that links over to the status threads for them here. So if you just check the Updates tab on supercharge.info, you'll see the latest ones that have been added.

Last edited:
That website that has those charts is the centralized place where everything gets added once something gets found, so if it's not there yet, nothing has been found yet.

*EDIT* I guess I could elaborate a little bit. This forum at TMC is where people start these threads when they find a building permit, and then it continues to get updated with construction status, pictures, etc. But there are so many regional sections that it would be a pain to look through them all to see what's new. So www.supercharge.info is a more "one stop shop" that has the map, change updates, etc. that links over to the status threads for them here. So if you just check the Updates tab on supercharge.info, you'll see the latest ones that have been added.
To expand on this, permits or construction sites are found by volunteers. There may not be anyone searching for permits in Hawaii (for instance). So unless if there is a thread of someone talking about actively keeping an eye on permits in different places in Hawaii, then technically we don't know if any planned Supercharger sites already have permits. In some places (especially China), permits or construction sites are never found and updates get posted to www.supercharge.info only once Tesla opens the location officially.

It would probably be smart to organize who searches for permits in which regions so we can more efficiently find permits in different cities/counties (ie. designate search/workload, unless if this is being done and I haven't realized it).

To expand on this, permits or construction sites are found by volunteers. There may not be anyone searching for permits in Hawaii (for instance). So unless if there is a thread of someone talking about actively keeping an eye on permits in different places in Hawaii, then technically we don't know if any planned Supercharger sites already have permits. In some places (especially China), permits or construction sites are never found and updates get posted to www.supercharge.info only once Tesla opens the location officially.

It would probably be smart to organize who searches for permits in which regions so we can more efficiently find permits in different cities/counties (ie. designate search/workload, unless if this is being done and I haven't realized it).

Thanks for the explanation. I just noticed 48 states listed on that bar chart, so I was looking for reasons why. I thought that DC missing could just be a "50 state" oversight!

Nice chart. We saw so many Teslas in Phoenix, on a visit. Many more than in Atlanta. But a lot depends on the neighborhoods. I see 20 SC's for AZ, 15 for GA?
But most are near interstates. What may matter, to locals, are how many are intown? I see 6 for Phoenix. I think. Some may be slower destination chargers? Atlanta was even more confusing. I know of 3, but on the map, most said 'destination'.
By the sheer numbers of cars, it reasons that PHX would have more superchargers. Personally, I haven't used one since we got the 240 outlet. But we'll take a 1000mi trip to the Gulf soon, and I want to use up those free miles! The area has no superchargers. The condo has no charging, at all. (I'll be looking for an empty 120v outlet to park next to!). We'll have to grab an hour here and there, while eating and shopping. Or - spend more time at the beach...
And... we charge every night, like we did with the Leaf. But I've turned max down to 70%, and may go to 50? My wife only needs 30mi a day. I'll go higher as needed, on weekends.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Thanks for the explanation. I just noticed 48 states listed on that bar chart, so I was looking for reasons why. I thought that DC missing could just be a "50 state" oversight!
This is literally a coincidence but there are now 49 states on this chart, with a permit for Washington DC’s first Supercharger found less than an hour ago! : Supercharger - Washington, DC (Wisconsin Ave NW)

Nice chart. We saw so many Teslas in Phoenix, on a visit. Many more than in Atlanta. But a lot depends on the neighborhoods. I see 20 SC's for AZ, 15 for GA?
But most are near interstates. What may matter, to locals, are how many are intown? I see 6 for Phoenix. I think. Some may be slower destination chargers? Atlanta was even more confusing. I know of 3, but on the map, most said 'destination'.
By the sheer numbers of cars, it reasons that PHX would have more superchargers. Personally, I haven't used one since we got the 240 outlet. But we'll take a 1000mi trip to the Gulf soon, and I want to use up those free miles! The area has no superchargers. The condo has no charging, at all. (I'll be looking for an empty 120v outlet to park next to!). We'll have to grab an hour here and there, while eating and shopping. Or - spend more time at the beach...
And... we charge every night, like we did with the Leaf. But I've turned max down to 70%, and may go to 50? My wife only needs 30mi a day. I'll go higher as needed, on weekends.

Before the urban superchargers came along most supercharger locations were outside of cities. I think Tesla has been putting in urban superchargers in areas where they expect there are Model 3 apartment and condo dwellers who may not have charging at home. Before the Model 3 most Tesla owners owned houses and were set up to charge at home so there was little need for urban charging.

The original supercharger network was designed to help people get where they were going rather than everyday charging. Arizona had a number of chargers because I-10 goes through the middle/south part of the state and I-40 through the north (not all the way north, but somewhat north). Both are major routes for Californians going somewhere eastward.

Arizona has seen a major adoption of solar power, even though the state government tried to discourage it. Electricity from utilities is expensive there and solar is abundant year round. Getting an electric car after getting solar makes sense. Then those who get to know their friends' electric car sees how good they are and gets one even though they don't have the ability to charge at home and there is a growing demand for supercharging.

I heard a story on NPR a few years ago where they interviewed a solar installer in AZ and he said he quit paying for advertisements because the systems were selling faster than he could install them. He said most of his customers were retired folks who were grumbling about paying $500 a month in the summer for electricity and heard from a golfing buddy that he was paying $50 a month and they jumped at the idea.

• Informative
Reactions: Bet TSLA
Before the urban superchargers came along most supercharger locations were outside of cities. I think Tesla has been putting in urban superchargers in areas where they expect there are Model 3 apartment and condo dwellers who may not have charging at home. Before the Model 3 most Tesla owners owned houses and were set up to charge at home so there was little need for urban charging....
Also, an advantage that I see to an urban supercharger when travelling is that it gives me time to have a meal in a nearby restaurant. If I charge for 20 minutes on a 150kW charger, I don't have time to get seated and look at the menu before I have to go move my car.
I heard a story on NPR a few years ago where they interviewed a solar installer in AZ and he said he quit paying for advertisements because the systems were selling faster than he could install them. He said most of his customers were retired folks who were grumbling about paying $500 a month in the summer for electricity and heard from a golfing buddy that he was paying $50 a month and they jumped at the idea.
I live in a retirement community. This is pretty close to reality. (except that I don't golf; it all happens at the pool)

I created a few charts with data from supercharge.info via a slightly modified version of this code (specified a.address.country and a.address.region on line 1) with Excel and gifmaker.me. See the animation

Great work! However, from the perspective of chicken-egg problem, it would be interesting to see the relative growth of each region in time. And by regions, it would be useful to see state-by-state comparisons and country-by-country comparisons especially outside USA. For example, I would like to see how many 0% superchargers have grown in Estonia during the past 1, 3 or 5 years, etc. This way the charts would clearly point out regions where growth is not happening and parts where growth is relatively insignificant (miniscule percentages).

Help the chicken and the egg.

Someone commented on another forum about how there are quite a few sites which have been opened for some time which have not appeared on Tesla's website map yet. I though I'd run the stats, and then thought it would be interesting info for here:

List of superchargers opened in the last 60 days which are not on Tesla's website map:

BxmCi5k.png

Sites with an entry in the "location id" column are ones which line up to an existing grey marker on Tesla's map; sites with this column blank are ones which just appeared out of the blue.

There are many more older than this but for *most* of those cases there is a legitimate reason (e.g. it's a service centre, and Tesla want to direct people to the dedicated supercharger sites rather than 2-4 stalls next to a service centre, etc)

Sites with an entry in the "location id" column are ones which line up to an existing grey marker on Tesla's map; sites with this column blank are ones which just appeared out of the blue.
Yeah, Tesla has been especially annoying with the lack of updated information on their map recently. For some of the locations you listed though, a grey pin likely does exist it's just not on the exact town/jurisdiction where the superchargers ended up being built. E.g. Kill Devil Hills, NC is, IMO, definitely hiding as the Point Harbor, NC grey pin; Mission, KS is likewise the Overland Park, KS grey pin; Robbinsdale, MN is probably one of the Minneapolis, MN grey pins; etc. So, once Tesla does update the map to show them as open, I expect their masquerading grey pin to disappear. Ignoring their dilatoriness in updating, that's fair enough. But there's clearly a large number of locations either already opened or in construction which definitely haven't ever had a grey pin. That's really annoying.

It may be that whoever is responsible for updates to the map has been busy with adding new locations. I know where I work that even big companies have limit backups for managing web applications.

For some of the locations you listed though, a grey pin likely does exist it's just not on the exact town/jurisdiction where the superchargers ended up being built. E.g. Kill Devil Hills, NC is, IMO, definitely hiding as the Point Harbor, NC grey pin; Mission, KS is likewise the Overland Park, KS grey pin; Robbinsdale, MN is probably one of the Minneapolis, MN grey pins; etc.

Thanks! I have updated supercharge.info with a few of those which had been missed!

It may be that whoever is responsible for updates to the map has been busy with adding new locations. I know where I work that even big companies have limit backups for managing web applications.

Possible - although most of these sites are visible on the in-car navigation. It seems Tesla has different data sources for the two displays, which is either a weird design, or just something they haven't got around to fixing yet.

Possible - although most of these sites are visible on the in-car navigation. It seems Tesla has different data sources for the two displays, which is either a weird design, or just something they haven't got around to fixing yet.
The thing is from what I’ve heard, Tesla vehicles also communicate directly with superchargers. I have a feeling that’s why they’re separate. It would make sense to synchronize them though, even if by a nightly feed.

Last edited: