TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Supercharger network

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by dsm363, May 25, 2012.

1. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Sorry if this is off track.

Have they addressed the possibility that the Superchargers could be fully use upon arrival? Will I just have to queue up for 30+ minutes before charging?

Maybe a reservation system is in the works?

2. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

It seems they are trying to keep the design simple. So I'd hope they'd add SuperChargers if actually needed.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

LOL... The analogies between plumbing and electronics continue to hold true... (Recalling the usual pressure and hose size descriptions for voltage and amperage...)

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I suspect there won't be a reservation system as that would require some sort of authentication (which they have elected NOT to use, given the free charging for every Model S). There might be an availability checker though (ideally with the time left to finish charging).

Not sure what will happen if there's actually a line though.

5. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

I would love to be able to see availability/ reserve a spot from the 17" center console. If others are waiting (which the SC could know based on another reservation and the car reporting its location), the SC would cut you off after say 30-45 minutes.

6. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Yea, they'll definitely want to implement some kind of timer on it. I've been told EV owners are pretty courteous to one another. But once more Tesla's are on the road, you can't count on people being nice...they'll jump into a restaurant for an hour and then come out when it's convenient for them. :(

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I agree. The cable is so short though that if they don't come out to move their car, you'll still be stuck waiting. Maybe a phone call into a Tesla Supercharging hotline can get Tesla to text or call the owner letting them know someone is waiting for the spot.

8. napabill

napabill Active Member

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, it is my intention to have a laminated card with my cell phone number, that I'll put in a side window, instructing anyone waiting to charge, to call me and let me know they're in line. That coupled with the upcoming iPhone App showing charge level, should allow the process to be orderly.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

How Two Billionaires Are Supercharging The Electric Car To Upend Big Oil - Forbes

10. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

I'm doing exactly this.

BTW, I've used superchargers probably about 8 times now, at three different locations (Hawthorne, Tejon, and Coalinga). I've never had a problem using it because of someone else, but I definitely had "charge anxiety" when I knew I needed it and wasn't sure it would be available. So far that hasn't happened, although I have seen a 2nd Model S at Tejon at the same time as me on two different occasions. If a 3rd arrived they'd be out of luck (or a 2nd in Coalinga). Tejon and Hawthorne have plenty of room for expansion, but not sure what they'll do with Coalinga.

BTW, Hawthorne is a pretty desolate place at 7pm on a Sunday night. Found out the security booth has a bathroom though. There is a Starbucks and Wendy's not TOO far away if you don't mind a decent walk.

11. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Foldable bicycle in the trunk? ;)

12. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

That's news, isn't it?

13. fengshui

fengshui Member

dadaleus, do you know the hours of the Hawthorne SC?

14. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

It is listed as 24/7, but you will need to go through a guarded gate. Just tell them that you are a Tesla owner that needs to charge. There is lots of signage. Follow the recargo map.

15. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

#895 jcstp, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

16. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

You don't have to tell them, they see a Model S and point the way...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for posting that video. I recognize the Hawthorn location. When I went there, I didn't realize there was a button to open the cover! I just pushed it open.

17. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

18. Seegem

Seegem Member

Hi, Is there any update on super chargers in/around New York City? Thanks!

19. RDoc

RDoc S85D

It seems odd to me that there aren't Superchargers at all Tesla stores that have parking areas, not mall showrooms, but sales and service centers. Considering what it costs to put a center together, I wouldn't think the marginal cost of a Supercharger would be that big and it would significantly increase their availability.

In California it might be redundant, but for the rest of the country Superchargers are pretty thin on the ground and likely to remain that way for many years.

20. fengshui

fengshui Member

While superchargers are relatively inexpensive to operate, I think they don't want them to become people's regular charging location. By placing them only in areas outside major metropolitan areas, they focus their use on travelers, and not locals. It would suck for travelers if they attempted to charge at a supercharger and had to wait for the local to finish supercharging when the local had a perfectly valid charging option at home. In the same vein, travelers are more likely to only charge for 20-30 minutes (enough to get to the next supercharger or their final destination) rather than sitting there the full hour to get to 100%.

The Hawthorne SC is an exception to the rule because it's at Space-X HQ, and is in a largely industrial area.