Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...It's like filling a bucket with a hose, when the bucket is empty you can use high pressure and not spill anything, but as it nears full you need to lower the pressure if you want to fill it all the way...

LOL... The analogies between plumbing and electronics continue to hold true... (Recalling the usual pressure and hose size descriptions for voltage and amperage...)

Sorry if this is off track.

Have they addressed the possibility that the Superchargers could be fully use upon arrival? Will I just have to queue up for 30+ minutes before charging?

Maybe a reservation system is in the works?
I suspect there won't be a reservation system as that would require some sort of authentication (which they have elected NOT to use, given the free charging for every Model S). There might be an availability checker though (ideally with the time left to finish charging).

Not sure what will happen if there's actually a line though.

I would love to be able to see availability/ reserve a spot from the 17" center console. If others are waiting (which the SC could know based on another reservation and the car reporting its location), the SC would cut you off after say 30-45 minutes.

I would love to be able to see availability/ reserve a spot from the 17" center console. If others are waiting (which the SC could know based on another reservation and the car reporting its location), the SC would cut you off after say 30-45 minutes.

Yea, they'll definitely want to implement some kind of timer on it. I've been told EV owners are pretty courteous to one another. But once more Tesla's are on the road, you can't count on people being nice...they'll jump into a restaurant for an hour and then come out when it's convenient for them. :(

Yea, they'll definitely want to implement some kind of timer on it. I've been told EV owners are pretty courteous to one another. But once more Tesla's are on the road, you can't count on people being nice...they'll jump into a restaurant for an hour and then come out when it's convenient for them. :(

I agree. The cable is so short though that if they don't come out to move their car, you'll still be stuck waiting. Maybe a phone call into a Tesla Supercharging hotline can get Tesla to text or call the owner letting them know someone is waiting for the spot.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, it is my intention to have a laminated card with my cell phone number, that I'll put in a side window, instructing anyone waiting to charge, to call me and let me know they're in line. That coupled with the upcoming iPhone App showing charge level, should allow the process to be orderly.

How Two Billionaires Are Supercharging The Electric Car To Upend Big Oil - Forbes
Solar panels will supply the electricity at Supercharger stations, with a 500-kilowatt-hour supersize version of its car battery as backup storage. That drives the cost of each station up to $250,000, but Musk says the solar panels will pay for themselves in a few years and Tesla can sell stored power back to utilities. The company is paying little or nothing to lease space for the charging stations, he notes.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, it is my intention to have a laminated card with my cell phone number, that I'll put in a side window, instructing anyone waiting to charge, to call me and let me know they're in line. That coupled with the upcoming iPhone App showing charge level, should allow the process to be orderly.

I'm doing exactly this.

BTW, I've used superchargers probably about 8 times now, at three different locations (Hawthorne, Tejon, and Coalinga). I've never had a problem using it because of someone else, but I definitely had "charge anxiety" when I knew I needed it and wasn't sure it would be available. So far that hasn't happened, although I have seen a 2nd Model S at Tejon at the same time as me on two different occasions. If a 3rd arrived they'd be out of luck (or a 2nd in Coalinga). Tejon and Hawthorne have plenty of room for expansion, but not sure what they'll do with Coalinga.

BTW, Hawthorne is a pretty desolate place at 7pm on a Sunday night. Found out the security booth has a bathroom though. There is a Starbucks and Wendy's not TOO far away if you don't mind a decent walk.

It is listed as 24/7, but you will need to go through a guarded gate. Just tell them that you are a Tesla owner that needs to charge. There is lots of signage. Follow the recargo map.

You don't have to tell them, they see a Model S and point the way...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for posting that video. I recognize the Hawthorn location. When I went there, I didn't realize there was a button to open the cover! I just pushed it open.

It seems odd to me that there aren't Superchargers at all Tesla stores that have parking areas, not mall showrooms, but sales and service centers. Considering what it costs to put a center together, I wouldn't think the marginal cost of a Supercharger would be that big and it would significantly increase their availability.

In California it might be redundant, but for the rest of the country Superchargers are pretty thin on the ground and likely to remain that way for many years.

It seems odd to me that there aren't Superchargers at all Tesla stores that have parking areas, not mall showrooms, but sales and service centers. Considering what it costs to put a center together, I wouldn't think the marginal cost of a Supercharger would be that big and it would significantly increase their availability.

While superchargers are relatively inexpensive to operate, I think they don't want them to become people's regular charging location. By placing them only in areas outside major metropolitan areas, they focus their use on travelers, and not locals. It would suck for travelers if they attempted to charge at a supercharger and had to wait for the local to finish supercharging when the local had a perfectly valid charging option at home. In the same vein, travelers are more likely to only charge for 20-30 minutes (enough to get to the next supercharger or their final destination) rather than sitting there the full hour to get to 100%.

The Hawthorne SC is an exception to the rule because it's at Space-X HQ, and is in a largely industrial area.