Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a lot of good information, thanks guys. I am morbidly curious how lethal the 240V AC or DC current is. Of course I know this could be variable. I would imagine with gasoline set a flame you would have a chance to run for the hills. lol

If you touch just one of the hot contacts of a NEMA 14-50, it's just like touching the hot contact of a 120V outlet. 120V will be conducted through you to ground. This can be lethal, depending on how well grounded you are. (If you are standing on dry ground, wearing rubber sole shoes, you will probably be ok.) If you touch both hot contacts of the NEMA 14-50, you'll get 240V running though you between the two contacts. But it seems to me that if you do that, in most cases it's going to be a very short path between the two contacts, and the current will only conduct through a small part of your body, like your hand. But touching one hot contact with one hand and the other hot contact with the other hand would be very bad news!

Also remember its the level of current that goes through your body that kills you. Doesn't matter at all the voltage.

The level of voltage only effect the how easily the charge can jump gaps in air or through insulation.

so really high voltage with next to no current will do next to nothing (static shock, or those plasma globes)

And really low voltage with high current can kill. Welding equipment.

1 amp will kill some one, 50000volts won't. 50000 volts will very easily jump a gap and if there is enough current behind it kill you.

- - - Updated - - -

Also remember its the level of current that goes through your body that kills you. Doesn't matter at all the voltage.

The level of voltage only effect the how easily the charge can jump gaps in air or through insulation.

so really high voltage with next to no current will do next to nothing (static shock, or those plasma globes)

And really low voltage with high current can kill. Welding equipment.

1 amp will kill some one, 50000volts won't. 50000 volts will very easily jump a gap and if there is enough current behind it kill you.

It takes 30,000 volts to jump 1 inch in the air

Re: the new charger design. I know some of the early supercharger users complained the cord was so short one had to park perfectly to use it. Perhaps that informed the redesign some.

The LA Superchargers had little /\____/\ devices for your front tire to go into, so you knew the perfect spot to stop at. Not sure about the other SC sites, it was dark and rainy when I used Harris Ranch.

I highly recommend owners take a trip to a SC, just for the heck of it. It's mind boggling that you can add that much energy to the car, in such a short amount of time...

expectations downgraded

The company also re-committed to covering the US with Supercharger charging stations. Only eight are operational now, most on the west coast, but the company plans to cover both coasts in the coming years and then, eventually, connect the two so that you can drive from Boston to LA without burning a drop of fuel -- and without spending a dime, since use of the chargers will be free for Tesla owners.

Tesla to open 25 new stores in 2013, first Chinese location this spring

Yet another Supercharger physical design? At least I believe the graphics are updated. As seen at the North American International Auto Show, where Tesla had a Supercharger on the convention floor.

tesla-3.jpg