Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this document with some quick googling:
http://www.theevproject.com/downloads/documents/2.%20DC%20Fast%20Charge-Demand%20Charge%20Reduction%20V1.0%20Revised%20(2).pdf

I haven't read it thoroughly yet, just glanced through it - but it provides a bunch of interesting information about demand charges.

It seems demand charges have large variations depending on the utility. So I could imagine that for EV fast-chargers specifically, they will eventually be regulated to max out at some reasonable value, by some political process.

During the LA test drive event I was able to get some unconfirmed info:

An announcement was coming only after the initial locations were built (keep your eyes out there should be activity as we type!) before the end of 2012.

There probably will be solar panels involved.

They may have found a way to cut the 30 min charge time to 15 mins! (wow ... if true)

It will be N/S & E/W on routes to major cities.

No info on how much supercharging is "too much"

They may have found a way to cut the 30 min charge time to 15 mins! (wow ... if true)

Probably not. The math is pretty straightforward

If you've got an 85kWh battery and you pump 90kW per hour into it (which is the supercharger spec), then you will a half charge in 30 minutes if you have only minor charging losses.
If you've got the 60kWh battery and you pump 90kW into it (so a 1.5C rate, which isn't healthy), then you get a half charge in 20 minutes if you don't have any charging losses.

During the LA test drive event I was able to get some unconfirmed info:

An announcement was coming only after the initial locations were built (keep your eyes out there should be activity as we type!) before the end of 2012.

Thanks for the thread bump. It's more than halfway through July... with the giddiness Elon had hinting at the announcement at the shareholders meeting, I was hoping they'd have made it by now. Patience.... I must learn patience....

Thanks for the thread bump. It's more than halfway through July... with the giddiness Elon had hinting at the announcement at the shareholders meeting, I was hoping they'd have made it by now. Patience.... I must learn patience....

I'd bet TM will save all announcements for the earnings call at the end of the month.

While it is true that earning calls are used for announcements, the timeline is not "on the next earnings call". Remember the "order of (inaudible) magnitude drive train deal" that Elon announced back in 2011? It was confirmed just last quarter that it's about Daimler's electric B-class. So I get the impression that Elon sometimes jumps a little bit ahead of his buddies.

While it is true that earning calls are used for announcements, the timeline is not "on the next earnings call". Remember the "order of (inaudible) magnitude drive train deal" that Elon announced back in 2011? It was confirmed just last quarter that it's about Daimler's electric B-class. So I get the impression that Elon sometimes jumps a little bit ahead of his buddies.

Totally agree with that, I think that's a large part of we love him so much!

from brianman's call transcript:

[Supercharger]
Anticipating a September event.... I'm really excited about that announcement. Way cooler than anyone realizes. I think it's going to have a profound

effect on how the public sees electric vehicles. There will be a few surprises.

I'm still a bit jaded, so when Elon gets really excited (a 8-9 range), I peg my excitement at around a 6-7, but I'm all ears.

Hopefully they will have a big, positive surprise that we didn't even anticipate.
My guess list so far includes these possibilities:
  • Solar panels at supercharging locations?
  • Battery buffer to reduce/eliminate demand charges?
  • Multiple outputs so multiple cars can plug in at once?
  • Large numbers of superchargers already installed?
  • Agreement with major chain to host superchargers at their locations?

Hopefully they will have a big, positive surprise that we didn't even anticipate.
[*]Battery buffer to reduce/eliminate demand charges?

I've been thinking about this. There are two interesting possible sources for these batteries.
The first is depleted EV batteries ( take 2 that are down to 50% capacity and just double them up )
The second is rejected cells that weren't good enough for automotive applications, and would otherwise be in some bargain bin for a poor quality off brand laptop battery.

Elon did mention they where waiting for construction and permits. It does sound like when they do announce the SuperCharger network, they plan on doing it from a live site, and that they will have 1 or more locations functional at the press event/public debut. It's a safe bet that SolarCity is involved in the construction and installation of the equipment, and a "solar canopy" coupled with some onsite energy storage to minimize the utility demand charges seems very likely as well. We'll just have too wait until September for the official word, as Elon and George said "you can't believe things you hear on the forum" (quote from today's earnings Q&A call)

Unlikely, only because it would be virtually impossible that it would have stayed this quiet if too many others outside Tesla were involved already. Someone would have seen or said something! The others are all good possibilities.

I'm with TEG on this. I'm betting there will be an announcement along the lines of 'here's where the network will go and we've already installed n superchargers'.

I'm with TEG on this. I'm betting there will be an announcement along the lines of 'here's where the network will go and we've already installed n superchargers'.
I agree, Bonnie. Of TEG's list, the solar/battery/multi-outlet items aren't going to have "a profound effect on how the public sees electric vehicles." That's got to come from a massive and credible plan for infrastructure build-out. If Elon could say, "There'll be a supercharger every 120 miles on every interstate highway in the US, and here are the first twenty" that would be profound.