Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But sadly they are, and it's even being encouraged by the employees at some of the businesses these superchargers are near (i.e. see the Santa Rosa, NM supercharger thread). I realize beggars can't be choosers, but Tesla ought to reevaluate their business relationship with such outfits.

I realize beggars can't be choosers

These days, are Tesla beggars? Surely there are multiple businesses in some cities vying for the right to be home of the Tesla SC for the area?

I think the biggest issue is that many of the arrangements Tesla have are multiple year leases. Still, if the situation was bad enough, Tesla could build a second SC in the city and take the old one off their SC map.

These days, are Tesla beggars? Surely there are multiple businesses in some cities vying for the right to be home of the Tesla SC for the area?
That may be true in a few areas, but I'd venture that most are in the "who is Tesla" stage. Permitting is even worse as there are vested interests in keeping Tesla out.

That may be true in a few areas, but I'd venture that most are in the "who is Tesla" stage. Permitting is even worse as there are vested interests in keeping Tesla out.

Tesla has to fight for the right to sell and service their cars. Sad that we lack this basic freedom in the US, while it seems all other countries that Tesla operates in are more free than US citizens are.

However I thought Supercharger installs just had to find a property owner willing to provide a few parking places. Do they have more trouble getting permits than any other business? What vested interests are working against Tesla here?

GSP

PS. I am aware of proposed laws in Germany that would prevent Tesla from installing more Superchargers, most likely to protect German automakers. I have not seen anything like this in any other country however, including the US.

Tesla has to fight for the right to sell and service their cars. Sad that we lack this basic freedom in the US, while it seems all other countries that Tesla operates in are more free than US citizens are.

However I thought Supercharger installs just had to find a property owner willing to provide a few parking places. Do they have more trouble getting permits than any other business? What vested interests are working against Tesla here?

GSP

PS. I am aware of proposed laws in Germany that would prevent Tesla from installing more Superchargers, most likely to protect German automakers. I have not seen anything like this in any other country however, including the US.

Many different ways that pressure can be exerted. It was alleged previously chasm between Independence MO and St. Charles MO was held up by "vested" interests. I was told by a local when I was supercharging at St Charles MO before they opened Columbia that the delay was caused by a car dealer who "owned all the dealerships between the two cities that would boycott any business that would assist Tesla in opening the SC. Granted this is hearsay, but not too far from the realm of possibility.

The car dealer association mainly. In Temple, Texas a permit was applied for and a State Senator came and asked the city council not to allow it, so they didn't. In Denton, TX it took almost a year to get a permit.

While I appreciate that several Superchargers were just completed on the east coast affecting how biased this map looks towards CA and that there is probably a big push to get things completed by year end not only in the US but worldwide. To me this map paints a disturbing image...... none the less progress is good but I hope Tesla sees the bigger picture sooner rather than later. No offense to CA but enough is enough time to consider the rest of the country. I hope we see a vision change in 2016 !!!

SpC Nationwide Construction.JPG

While I appreciate that several Superchargers were just completed on the east coast affecting how biased this map looks towards CA and that there is probably a big push to get things completed by year end not only in the US but worldwide. To me this map paints a disturbing image...... none the less progress is good but I hope Tesla sees the bigger picture sooner rather than later. No offense to CA but enough is enough time to consider the rest of the country. I hope we see a vision change in 2016 !!!
I understand what you are saying... but the only report of long lines at superchargers that I ever read come from California... you have to look at density of superchargers in relationship to density of Model S/X

Car dealers are often very powerful in the local business community.

Colorado Springs, CO just came online yesterday and it looks like Louisville, KY and Wytheville, VA were just updated to 'Open' this morning. :smile:

I agree there's still a lot of room for growth, especially along I-80 and I-94. I also think one on I-70 between Goodland and Hays would be nice as multiple drivers have reported close calls between those chargers.

I understand what you are saying... but the only report of long lines at superchargers that I ever read come from California... you have to look at density of superchargers in relationship to density of Model S/X
Bah - I call that horrifically close to bad S/N feedback (close - not perfect - analogy. Can't come up with a better one off the cuff).

For example, ein gedankenexperiment: What would happen to the number of Teslas sold in California at t=1, {given at t=0 there are what? 20,000 or so?} if five additional Superchargers were emplaced there? Now place them not in California, but in Alaska (n=14 at t=0). Answer: The Sales to Installs payback would be far better.

There are places around here you won't get much Tesla traffic, because there are no superchargers... If they removed Tejon Ranch, I guarantee you there would be no lines.

The car dealer association mainly. In Temple, Texas a permit was applied for and a State Senator came and asked the city council not to allow it, so they didn't.

I heard the same story. In any event, I'm very pleased that Collin Street Bakery stepped in.

In Denton, TX it took almost a year to get a permit.
Denton says the delays were not their doing. And as you know, the mayor, city council and Denton Municipal Electric are very excited to have a Supercharger in town and are looking forward to the ribbon cutting. :D

I heard the same story. In any event, I'm very pleased that Collin Street Bakery stepped in.

Denton says the delays were not their doing. And as you know, the mayor, city council and Denton Municipal Electric are very excited to have a Supercharger in town and are looking forward to the ribbon cutting. :D

I’ve attended two Supercharger ribbon cuttings, and at one of them, there were disappointingly only two Tesla cars that showed up, so we each got to keep half of the ribbon as a souvenir. The location on that one was a little interesting. The city and chamber of commerce liked the idea, but Tesla had been working with a business for a location and were having some trouble with it. So the city just went ahead and let them build it in the parking lot of the tourist visitors’ center, which is a great location. That is in Twin Falls, Idaho.

View attachment 105887

Maybe a small portion of that Nevada / California push is related to the Gigafactory and being able to commute from not only Fremont but wherever those employees live in CA to the new site in NV?

The direct route from Fremont to Sparks doesn't gain much, maybe the Nevada push is related to new employees settling near sparks wanting to be able to travel easily to Vegas? :)

Last edited:
in addition to obstruction from dealer groups and the politicians they control there are zoning and land use issues that can be a road block to placing superchargers. in addition the utility companies are sometimes politicized and may not be overly cooperative to installing the infrastructure necessary for a supercharger.