Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status of "Coming Soon" superchargers

The following is a list of the superchargers listed as "Coming Soon" when Tesla last updated its North American supercharger map two months ago. Two "Coming Soon" locations, Harrisburg PA and Santa Ana CA, have not been confirmed and locations of several others are completely unknown: Jackson MS, Champaign IL, Terre Haute IN, and Hampton Bays NY. Five stations opened in the last month. Slidell LA and Beatty NV will likely both be open very soon but after that there will be very few openings for the rest of February.

LocationSite Known?Status
Burbank, CA
yesoperational
Buttonwillow, CA
yes
operational
Crescent City, CAyesin permitting
Eureka, CAyespermitting complete?
Fresno, CA
yesoperational
Mammoth Lakes, CAyesoperational
Napa, CAyesunder construction
Santa Ana, CAmaybeunknown
Ukiah, CA
yesoperational
Beatty, NVyesawaiting testing
Colorado Springs, CO
yesoperational
Lindale, TXyesin design or permitting
Victoria, TX
yesoperational
Slidell, LAyeswaiting for testing
Jackson, MSnounknown
Champaign, ILnounknown
Terre Haute, INnounknown
Cadillac, MIyesoperational
Louisville, KY
yesoperational
Asheville, NCyesoperational
Plantation, FLyesoperational
Lexington, VAyesoperational
Wytheville, VA
yesoperational
Laurel, MDyesin permitting
Erie, PAyesin permitting
Harrisburg, PAmaybeunknown
Allentown, PA
yes
operational
Tannersville, PA
yesoperational
Hampton Bays, NYnounknown
Augusta, ME
yesoperational
Kelowna, BCyesoperational
Port Hope, ONyes
operational
Following are additional sites not on the Coming Soon list:
Fremont (Kato Road), CAyesunder construction
Placerville, CAyesunknown
Santa Barbara, CAyesin permitting
Temecula, CAnounknown
Idaho Falls, IDnounknown
Pocatello, IDnounknown
Bowling Green, KYnoin permitting
Rolla, MOyespermitting complete?
Tonopah, NVyessite agreement completed
Catoosa, OKyessite agreement completed
Sulphur Springs, TXyesin permitting
Rivière-du-Loup, QCyesin permitting

Could be...but maybe another Supercharger in the area to relieve the load on Burbank.

The other grey pin is to the SE, and could be something in the Santa Ana area on the 5.

Here is an enlargement of the area of interest. Note that even the grey shadows under the pins are slightly north of the actual locations.
View attachment 110351

The grey pin just beneath the pin for Mojave might be somewhere around Castaic Junction (I5 and SR126). To me, this would take a lot of pressure off Ft. Tejon and also provide an alternate route to and from Ventura and Sta. Barbara to places like the Eastern Sierra, Vegas, Death Valley and northern Arizona. It is only a slight detour from hitting SR14, and maybe the actual location is closer to that highway.

The other pin looks like it might be around Glendale or Eagle Rock--perhaps near the 134 (Ventura) freeway before it dumps into the Foothill Freeway in Pasadena.

Of the 4 currently under construction in the US, only Slidell was documented as started construction in the last 90 days (supercharge.info). Slidell was the only station to start construction in the US in January. The other 3, Beatty, Freemont-2 & Napa are 3 to 5 months in the construction process. My initial observation was regarding the lack of recent new construction.

Have you been tracking expansion work at existing sites as well as new ones? I haven't been watching that aspect of N.America, but over here in Europe there's been quite a lot of sites expanded from 2 stalls to 6 or 8. Also, head of Tesla UK reported at a recent event that there had been an edict from Elon to banish queues at Superchargers (hence one of the existing sites near London under construction now for expansion from 2 to 12 stalls!). So that may indicate a shift in the balance between conquering new ground and reinforcing the existing network.

Here is a pic I lifted from this morning's posting in the Euro-SpC rollout thread. It comes from photos of the new Danish site at Slagelse. Have I not been paying attention <who - me?>, or is this something we've not seen in NoAm SpC builds?

Does anyone think these pre-cast concrete pieces will be installed vertically as at present, or will they be a base platform for the charging towers?

I can't clearly see the smaller plugs that appear in the front face - those which are not the orange conduit. Has anyone a good explanation for all this?
12670306_1217737661590568_4917753093666812096_n.jpg

Here is a pic I lifted from this morning's posting in the Euro-SpC rollout thread. It comes from photos of the new Danish site at Slagelse. Have I not been paying attention <who - me?>, or is this something we've not seen in NoAm SpC builds?

Does anyone think these pre-cast concrete pieces will be installed vertically as at present, or will they be a base platform for the charging towers?

I can't clearly see the smaller plugs that appear in the front face - those which are not the orange conduit. Has anyone a good explanation for all this?
View attachment 110443

Are those maybe the bases that get burried in the ground with the Super Charger on top ?

Also, head of Tesla UK reported at a recent event that there had been an edict from Elon to banish queues at Superchargers (hence one of the existing sites near London under construction now for expansion from 2 to 12 stalls!). So that may indicate a shift in the balance between conquering new ground and reinforcing the existing network.
Interesting information, thanks. We know that Harris Ranch in California is being expanded. Certainly Tesla is not going to stop building new Superchargers, but it sounds like some resources are going to be devoted to expanding existing sites that are often crowded. Of course not every site can be expanded, it depends on limits on local power feeds and whether the parking area owner is willing to allow it.

I'd like to apologize for my SC behavior today!

Heres what happened: I woke up with 220 miles of range, went to work losing about 40 miles after a few detours.
I was down to 170 something.
At work my boss had a meeting 60 miles away... I, forgetting my late night plans foolishly volunteered to drive.
I got back to work with 40 plus miles and 2.5 hours before I was supposed to pick up my date.

GREAT! I have 40 miles of range and only 2 hours at most to charge at home.

So I decided to instead drive to the Roseville SC, on the way there I was thinking to stop off at a flower shop to pick up some flowers. Instead I went straight to the SC, there I summoned an UBER who drove me to the nearest flower shop and took me back to the SC.

I was the only car there when I arrived.

My apologies! this was a very rare bind that I hope will not occur in the future.

Perfectly legit, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Are those maybe the bases that get burried in the ground with the Super Charger on top ?

I'd bet on it.

The power cables will route through the side of each (top narrow edge in the pic), and will be routed up in to the bottom of each supercharger cabinet sitting on top of the base (the side large surface with the longer orange extensions hanging out in the pic).

Interesting information, thanks. We know that Harris Ranch in California is being expanded. Certainly Tesla is not going to stop building new Superchargers, but it sounds like some resources are going to be devoted to expanding existing sites that are often crowded. Of course not every site can be expanded, it depends on limits on local power feeds and whether the parking area owner is willing to allow it.

Banishing queues at superchargers doesn't necessarily require expanding existing sites-- building additional sites at closer spacing on the routes would accomplish the same thing and give more flexibility for people traveling to different destinations.

View attachment 110443

I think these precast units will be a time-saver for Supercharger installation.
With enough sand/gravel at the bottom of each freshly dug hole, these become virtually frozen-ground heave-resistant.
They already have the conduit cast in-place with the holes for the two stanchions.
And mounts for lifting rings.
Flexible type conduit at the ground level makes hook-up more adaptable/easier.
Precast makes everything much easier/quicker to install.

No need for concrete add-mixtures for very wet or very cold conditions, just a bit of cost for shipping and installing the pre-cast/fabricated units.
Oh, and they could be re-used and re-positioned at a future date should a change in layout be required.

Maybe they could start using these in U.S. Supercharger locations?

I think these precast units will be a time-saver for Supercharger installation.
With enough sand/gravel at the bottom of each freshly dug hole, these become virtually frozen-ground heave-resistant.
They already have the conduit cast in-place with the holes for the two stanchions.
And mounts for lifting rings.
Flexible type conduit at the ground level makes hook-up more adaptable/easier.
Precast makes everything much easier/quicker to install.

No need for concrete add-mixtures for very wet or very cold conditions, just a bit of cost for shipping and installing the pre-cast/fabricated units.
Oh, and they could be re-used and re-positioned at a future date should a change in layout be required.

Maybe they could start using these in U.S. Supercharger locations?

I believe that the recently completed Supercharger in Fresno used precast concrete bases for the pedestals

I drove by daily (it is only 4 miles from my house), and I never once saw a cement mixer or any sort of indication that the crew was mixing up concrete to pour.

Does anyone have insight about Tesla rolling out solar panels and Power Walls at existing Supercharger locations?

I believe Elon had said that they would be doing that at some point and that capital expenditure could explain a slow down in new supercharger rollout.

Does anyone have insight about Tesla rolling out solar panels and Power Walls at existing Supercharger locations?

I believe Elon had said that they would be doing that at some point and that capital expenditure could explain a slow down in new supercharger rollout.
The solar and PowerPack rollout has been very limited and I've not heard of one recently. I think the most recent installation to get both solar and battery in North America was Barstow, CA when it was expanded. Mojave, CA also got batteries but no solar when it was initially installed. Of course, Tejon and Hawthorne have had solar and batteries for a long time. Some of the European installations have solar and battery, but I have not kept track of the names of those sites. Tesla had a deal in China for some or all of the SuperChargers there to have solar and battery, and possibly no connection to the grid at all. I don't know how that ended up working out.

I would assume this won't happen until the NY solarcity plant is at full production. It would only make a dent in quarterly financials otherwise.

I would assume this won't happen until the NY solarcity plant is at full production. It would only make a dent in quarterly financials otherwise.

I don't think so... I doubt any of the solar installation is pegged against that at all. After all, Tesla still has to make SolarCity whole, they can't force SolarCity to take a loss. As a result, there's a limit to discount on the panels anyways. Instead, it doesn't make sense to install solar when there are still so many routes to flush out. Now, PowerPack totally makes sense where they get hit with high demand charges as capex allows. That's mostly in the most congested Superchargers with the highest peak rates and demand charges that also have the space for the PowerPack installation.