Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yuma.... still no movement on the construction site as of early this morning.
I think the crew that was a little too open when talking to one of our members said that they would do Detroit Lake, Vacaville, and Yuma in that order. Since they are done at Grants Pass my guess is that someone driving past Detroit might see them in the parking lot across from the grocery store. And it will be about a month before they will be in Vacaville and therefore about two months before you'll see them in Yuma.
That assumes, of course, that their comments were accurate and there isn't a second crew involved. But the report that I saw clearly stated this as "after this one (Grants Pass) we'll do A, then B, then C" with C being Yuma.

Not being from the North NorthWest, I just don't get the reasoning for the Detroit Lake supercharger. Looking all the way to 2015 doesn't show that it is a stop in the way to a longer range destination. What is in the area of this supercharger that warrants its being there? I am planning a family trip up the coast and perhaps we should take a dog leg out to Detroit Lake if there is something to see.

Not being from the North NorthWest, I just don't get the reasoning for the Detroit Lake supercharger. Looking all the way to 2015 doesn't show that it is a stop in the way to a longer range destination. What is in the area of this supercharger that warrants its being there? I am planning a family trip up the coast and perhaps we should take a dog leg out to Detroit Lake if there is something to see.

I am confused. Are you talking about Detroit Lake, east of Salem Oregon, or are you talking about Detroit Lakes, MN?

Going to Sunriver (and Bend) is like going to Tahoe for people from the Bay Area. It's just what people do. So I can see it as being very useful (I stopped at Detroit Lake on the way to Sunriver and charged at the AeroVironment charger there at 20 mi/hr as otherwise I wouldn't have made it to Sunriver so I'll love having a supercharger there on my next trip to Bend / Sunriver).
But frankly - I can't quite explain how this made it on the list of the first 40 superchargers to be completed. It seems like an odd one-off.

I lived in Portland for years and the Bend area is a very common vacation spot. An SC on that route kind of makes sense though it still seems a bit odd as it is not very far from Woodburn.
I mentioned this a few times. In an 85 Portland - Sunriver is fairly easy. But in a 60 it's really a stretch.
The distance from Woodburn doesn't matter so much as Woodburn barely helps people with a 60. Woodburn to Sunriver is still barely within reach for a 60. Most likely out of reach during the winter. And it would require a range charge at Woodburn which also isn't great from a user experience point of view. Superchargers really​ slow down from 90-100%.

I mentioned this a few times. In an 85 Portland - Sunriver is fairly easy. But in a 60 it's really a stretch.
The distance from Woodburn doesn't matter so much as Woodburn barely helps people with a 60. Woodburn to Sunriver is still barely within reach for a 60. Most likely out of reach during the winter. And it would require a range charge at Woodburn which also isn't great from a user experience point of view. Superchargers really​ slow down from 90-100%.

Sounds like it would also make a lot of sense for the Model X. All wheel drive, winter conditions, and the extra drag coefficient of an SUV will all reduce the range to a point where this is going to be a handy supercharger to have.
It's good news if Tesla is thinking about placing superchargers for more than just big city to city traffic. Could use one near Napa Valley, or along Hwy 1 near Big Sir.

Sounds like it would also make a lot of sense for the Model X. All wheel drive, winter conditions, and the extra drag coefficient of an SUV will all reduce the range to a point where this is going to be a handy supercharger to have.
It's good news if Tesla is thinking about placing superchargers for more than just big city to city traffic. Could use one near Napa Valley, or along Hwy 1 near Big Sir.

Salinas, which is in the long-term rollout plan, isn't too far off from Highway 1 so that someone wanting to drive down to Big Sur from the north could easily make it all the way to SLO (or Atascadero) after stopping first at Salinas.

What seems to be missing completely is the 101 corridor north of San Francisco. Something north of Santa Rosa would be logical for both daytrippers to Sonoma County from the South San Francisco Bay Area as well as people traveling further north.

I think the crew that was a little too open when talking to one of our members said that they would do Detroit Lake, Vacaville, and Yuma in that order. Since they are done at Grants Pass my guess is that someone driving past Detroit might see them in the parking lot across from the grocery store. And it will be about a month before they will be in Vacaville and therefore about two months before you'll see them in Yuma.
That assumes, of course, that their comments were accurate and there isn't a second crew involved. But the report that I saw clearly stated this as "after this one (Grants Pass) we'll do A, then B, then C" with C being Yuma.

I drove through Detroit yesterday (as a passenger) and didn't see anything that looked like Supercharger activity. Unfortunately I was not able to stop as I wasn't driving and we were both in a hurry to get home to Seattle. I saw the AeroVironment charger (not being used). The supercharger site would have had to be right on the highway for me to see it, though.

I drove through Detroit yesterday (as a passenger) and didn't see anything that looked like Supercharger activity. Unfortunately I was not able to stop as I wasn't driving and we were both in a hurry to get home to Seattle. I saw the AeroVironment charger (not being used). The supercharger site would have had to be right on the highway for me to see it, though.

The most logical spot would be next to the AV charger. That's where power is, that's where there is space...

Detroit Lakes, MN is nowhere near Detroit, MI. It is in beautiful northwest MN lake country, at the crossroads of US-10 and US-59, just east of Fargo, ND.

I don't think that even Elon's road trip will get a Supercharger there anytime soon. :biggrin:
And the Detroit Lake, OR, we are all talking about here, is on the way from Salem, OR to Bend, OR on Hwy 22 :-D

- - - Updated - - -

No, but Oregon is in Michigan.

oregon, mi - Google Maps
Stop confusing us even more :)

The official list and map on the Tesla site has been updated! It now reads 30 stations. The only one missing on the west coast is Eugene/Springfield, OR. Looking good!

says 31 stations now, not sure what they added

maybe its this one?

older map at
http://www.teslamotors.com/tesla_theme/supercharger/images/supercharger-map_01-2013-q2.jpg?20131021
new map at http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/supercharger/maps/supercharger-map_01-2013-q2-2.jpg

Looks like some dots moved recently in addition to the new locations.

Last edited: