Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Welp make that 10!

Gallup won't be online this week, maybe next week. I got a response from the Supercharger group today when I notified them of the location being shown on the map but not on the list. They ended up removing the location from the map and providing this response.

"Our Gallup site construction is complete, however we are still waiting on final inspections to energize the site. Please continue to monitor our website for updates."

I expect January to beat December by a long shot. I feel like there are so many like Gallup, Santee, Flagstaff, Grand Junction and Kingman that are just on the cusp of completion. Should be an interesting next few weeks.

Last edited:
Welp make that 10!

Gallup won't be online this week, maybe next week. I got a response from the Supercharger group today when I notified them of the location being shown on the map but not on the list. They ended up removing the location from the map and providing this response.

"Our Gallup site construction is complete, however we are still waiting on final inspections to energize the site. Please continue to monitor our website for updates."

I expect January to beat December by a long shot. I feel like there are so many like Gallup, Santee, Flagstaff, Grand Junction and Kingman that are just on the cusp of completion. Should be an interesting next few weeks.

You can add Cheyenne WY to that list.

Ellensburg, WA and Detroit Lake, OR both made it onto the Tesla Map and onto the Tesla list, upping the North American count to 48 Superchargers, 11 added this month, and 3 added today! First month in double digit installs!!! :rolleyes:

Supercharger Installs.png

Last edited:
Sweet! Looks like about a 1/2 mile walk to the Pioneer Auto Museum, and they allow leashed pets. This looks like a great location, in an area that is a long way from nowhere.

Even though it looks like I will be able to do it next month, I will probably wait for the drive to Minnesota until next summer. :wink: It will be California this spring.

I actually might try to make a trip back home to Minnesota in the next couple of months. I just need to figure out how to charge at my brother's house, since he only has 120v/12a outlets as far as I know. That might be kind of painful.

50 SC Before the End of the Year in North America?

There are several new Supercharger locations which have continued to be added to the Tesla Motors North America Map.
At the current rate they are coming on-line, and the number of locations which very close to completion, certainly there WILL BE 50 before the end of the year.
Oh boy...

Here are some photos from Hagerstown, MD. We stopped by on our way from Virginia to Michigan (unfortunately we were driving the Prius).

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg
IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg
IMG_2620.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Stop two on our trip from VA to MI (in the Prius, unfortunately) was at Somerset, PA. Service at the Wendy's there was pretty slow, but the construction supervisor was there and we had a good conversation. They expect the site to be live between the 8th and the 10th of January. He pointed out the new utility pole that had to be put up. They're pulling power off the line at 4,160V, stepping it down to 480V, trenching about 100 yards to the inverter cabinets and then putting up 6 charging spots. (There are also two additional charging spots in the plan for future expansion.) He said that his next job all be in Cranberry, PA.

Here's the photos!

IMG_2623.jpg
IMG_2624.jpg
IMG_2625.jpg
IMG_2626.jpg
IMG_2627.jpg
IMG_2628.jpg

Maximizing Regen on Descent: From prior threads here I think keeping speed on the MS below ~45 mph minimizes energy loss to air friction, thus maximizing Regen. Air friction varies by square of speed. And you lose points for any brake application.
--

Last edited:
Looking at pics of the Hagerstown construction, it doesn't appear that 'shared' chargers are placed next to each other (or every other one). Have we determined a new sequence for the chargers in how they are laid out or is it now different at each location?

Seems like lately they have been doing them all with the A sides first then the B sides. Don't know if all the new ones going in have been this way, but it certainly seems to be the trend.

Maximizing Regen on Descent: From prior threads here I think keeping speed on the MS below ~45 mph minimizes energy loss to air friction, thus maximizing Regen. Air friction varies by cube of speed. And you lose points for any brake application.
--

There is a common confusion about whether aerodynamic drag goes as the square or cube of velocity. If you want the summary answer, go to my last paragraph below. With all of this talk of aerodynamic drag, remember that there are several other components of energy usage. See Energy Efficiency of Tesla Electric Vehicles | Tesla Motors for a good summary of all of those components.

The answer is that it's either the square or the cube depending on what you are measuring, force, energy, or power. See Drag (physics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Here is some simple physics to explain it.

Let's look at the basic SI units:
  • Force is measured in Newtons (N) with dimensions of kg m/s^2.From the Aerodynamic Drag reference above, we know that aerodynamic drag is proportional to velocity squared.
  • Energy is measured in Joules (J) with dimensions of kg m^2/s^2. Energy is force over a distance or force times distance; we measure our energy usage as energy/km or energy/mi. With some constants added that is just multiplying force time distance over distance. Therefore, the aerodynamic part of our energy usage in Wh/km or Wh/mi is proportional to velocity squared.
  • Power is measured in Watts (W) with dimensions of kg m^2/s^3. Power is energy per second, or in our case force times velocity. The power to overcome aerodynamic drag is proportional to velocity cubed; the km's or mi's happen faster and faster. This is a big deal when you are making things go fast because power needed is growing as the cube of velocity and is a big exponent to climb over to go fast.

In summary, aerodynamic force and energy per mile or km to overcome aerodynamic drag is proportional to velocity squared. Power needed to overcome aerodynamic drag is proportional to velocity cubed.

Most of our discussions here are about how far we can go on a battery charge and are therefore interested in Wh/km or Wh/mi; the aerodynamic parts of those are proportional to velocity squared.

Looks like if they add 3 more to the construction phase (Toledo OH, Washington DC and Brunswick GA) the route from Miami to NY to San Diego to Vancouver will be complete. New England must be feeling left out :(

Don't forget Holbrook, AZ and something in the Indio, CA western PA areas, to make it an easy zig-zag across the country.

Some stats: I count 89 dots on the "coming soon" Tesla map (BTW, Brunswick, GA is not on this.). Adding Moab, there are 71 total, open (48) and under construction (23), sites at Teslawiki Superchargers. That means there are 18 "coming soon" Supercharger sites not yet known. Keep those Superchargers coming! :biggrin:

My sister-in-law lives in Gallup, 140 miles from Albuquerque. Too far for a round trip without additional electrons! Last night we drove over to spread some Christmas cheer but due to the lack of any good information about the state of the Gallup SC, I was forced to getting our ICE car out of mothballs as I didn't want to spend 2+ hours at an RV park in the dark. Numerous articles both in the Albuquerque paper about the fact that the SC had been open since Wednesday, this forum's info and of course the appearing/disappearing dot on the Tesla SC web page convinced me that I didn't want to chance the SC being non operational. So when we went over I checked the SC and it appeared to be finished. The transformer was humming, the meter was in place, and no city permit stickers were visible and construction had long since finished. I still don't know if it works or not but maybe Tesla will, at some time, will let us in on the secret!
PC230140.JPG