Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Golden Spike will be in Albert Lea, Minnesota. With this week's openings, the following other superchargers are needed to go coast-to-coast in an 85: Kingman (construction to be finished next week), Blanding (opening next week), Cheyenne (awaiting power company hookup), and Macedonia (opening imminent). With Maumee and Hagerstown expected to also be open before Albert Lea, the longest gaps would be:

Barstow to Kingman 209 miles
Flagstaff to Gallup 182 miles
Blanding to Grand Junction 184 miles
Silverthorne to Cheyenne 167 miles
Macedonia to Somerset 177 miles
Without Albert Lea, it would be 239 miles from Worthington to Onalaska, which I'm guessing none of you would try in January/February.

Who will be first to go coast-to-coast on supercharger power? (I think half of TMC will try to do it before Elon does)

- - - Updated - - -

islandbayy got an unpleasant reminder that a live web page does not necessarily equal a live supercharger.

Kingman, AZ to Quartzsite, AZ could be an alternative to going from Kingman to Barstow, as it's only 134 miles.

January 10, 2014 kinsman AZ photo update.

IMG_8887.JPG
IMG_8888.JPG
IMG_8889.JPG
IMG_8890.JPG
IMG_8891.JPG
IMG_8892.JPG

@ Cottonwood

The transformer is easily visible in second photo, soooo it probably won't be too much longer before this one goes live! Hopefully next week!

The Golden Spike will be in Albert Lea, Minnesota. With this week's openings, the following other superchargers are needed to go coast-to-coast in an 85: Kingman (construction to be finished next week), Blanding (opening next week), Cheyenne (awaiting power company hookup), and Macedonia (opening imminent). With Maumee and Hagerstown expected to also be open before Albert Lea, the longest gaps would be:

Barstow to Kingman 209 miles
Flagstaff to Gallup 182 miles
Blanding to Grand Junction 184 miles
Silverthorne to Cheyenne 167 miles
Macedonia to Somerset 177 miles
Without Albert Lea, it would be 239 miles from Worthington to Onalaska, which I'm guessing none of you would try in January/February.

Who will be first to go coast-to-coast on supercharger power? (I think half of TMC will try to do it before Elon does)

I agree that Albert Lea is the biggest gap, but there are others to fill in. Here are some thoughts:

When Las Vegas comes on-line soon, you can do the extra miles by going Barstow to Vegas to Kingman, and cut the max distance to 161 miles or so from Barstow to LV.

Moab will be on-line in a couple of weeks, filling in the Grand Junction to Blanding gap.

That leaves Flagstaff to Gallup (need Holbrook) and Macedonia to Somerset (Need Cranberry Township!) as the big remaining gaps.

Beware the Cheyenne to Silverthorne 167 miles, going west to east! If you put a 1.0 speed limit multiplier, 400 lb, 32˚ F. exterior temp, and an 85S into EVTripPlanner, you get 223 rated miles to cover the 167 miles. On top of that, there is something like 4-6 miles of regen coming out of the Eisenhower Tunnel down to Silverthorne, so better call that 230 rated miles to get to the top of the hill. Get a bad wind day or colder, and that direction is tough! This will probably be the biggest battery usage gap left soon. I'm sure Tesla will figure that out, but for now, there is no in-between Supercharger for that gap, out through 2015.

That makes the total of 8 new Superchargers coming on-line so far in the first 1/3 of January! :biggrin:

Don't put your calculator or abacus away just yet...
There are easily another 9 (or more) locations that are so close to completion that when they are activated, they may exceed the status of this current month's total.
January will be an EXCEPTIONAL month for Supercharger roll-out.

It is worth noting that the Edison NJ zoning board is meeting again this Tuesday, the 14th, to review Tesla's application (again ... first app was rejected) for installing superchargers at the mall. I believe many Tesla owners are planning to be present.

http://em.gmnews.com/news/2014-01-0...ar_company_seeks_charging_station_at_mal.html

http://jerseytribune.com/2014/01/08...mpany-applies-for-charging-station-near-mall/

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.s...y_applies_for_charging_station_near_mall.html

EV Tripper says Kingman to Barstow can be done in 186 range miles in a 60 kWh Model S at 1X speed if you take the Oatman route, which is more interesting than staying on the interstate the whole time anyway. It cuts the actual traveled distance by a little more than 10 miles, but increases total drive time about 30 minutes. I'll give it a try in a few weeks and report back. Worst case, you go a little below the speed limit on I-40 to boost efficiency, but it saves the extra time (and hassle) of detouring to Vegas and should still get you to Barstow faster.

I doubt it is a mistake. I-90 will likely get its own SC, hence the separate dot. Macedonia provides I-80 coverage.

I wish it was not a mistake as well. But it annoys the Tesla Super Charger team that the Tesla web team has yet to fix the double dot (despite repeated requests).

I'm just repeating what the Tesla Super Charging development team told me.

Don't get greedy now. We're (in the U.S.) the ones who are greedy. :biggrin:

I Forgot the smiley. Seriously, Canada does need a bunch too, but hopefully not 200.

Didn't Elon revise/increase the original 200 number in May 2013? I know it is not in the press release, but I thought he said it somewhere. Maybe it was at the All Things Digital interview.

TESLA DRAMATICALLY EXPANDS SUPERCHARGER NETWORK, DELIVERING CONVENIENT, FREE LONG DISTANCE DRIVING THROUGHOUT U.S. AND CANADA | Press Releases | Tesla Motors

Beware the Cheyenne to Silverthorne 167 miles, going west to east! If you put a 1.0 speed limit multiplier, 400 lb, 32˚ F. exterior temp, and an 85S into EVTripPlanner, you get 223 rated miles to cover the 167 miles. On top of that, there is something like 4-6 miles of regen coming out of the Eisenhower Tunnel down to Silverthorne, so better call that 230 rated miles to get to the top of the hill. Get a bad wind day or colder, and that direction is tough! This will probably be the biggest battery usage gap left soon. I'm sure Tesla will figure that out, but for now, there is no in-between Supercharger for that gap, out through 2015.

Cottonwood, you must have meant to write 'east to west'. I agree with your analysis, Cheyenne to Silverthorne is a stretch for an 85. It will pay to approach that leg conservatively and drive 65 mph or so on I-25, where the speed limit between Cheyenne and Denver is 75 mph.

Gallup is working! We may have been first We have an "A" battery so 90KW. Good job Tesla!

Excellent News! - I appreciate the confirmation, and look forward to testing it myself.

- - - Updated - - -

It's like Christmas just keeps on coming!! I'm kind of laughing at myself for being so excited, but this does feel epic to me!

That's because it is. Not since the first days of ICE auto's working their way across america as new gas stations popped up, have we seen such an event. And a whole lot faster too. :)