Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, as far as is known at this stage, the CHAdeMO adapter will be current-limited so relatively slow.

I don't know of any CHAdeMO chargers that are higher than 50 kW. I think the Leaf tops out at 44 kW, so there is little demand to install CHAdeMO EVSE's at a higher charge rate.

It will be interesting to see if there is a taper here. If it's a steady 50 kW, then it will be faster than a supercharger for 90kW-supercharging batteries at around 150mi rated (since the supercharger tapering dips below 50 kW somewhere around there).

Wouldn't the pack C-rate be the limiting factor, so the 50 kW CHAdeMO cannot ever charge at a higher rate than a 90 kW Supercharger, no matter where on the taper curve?

First owner charge at Cheyenne! I still had 111 Rated miles when I plugged in, saw 86kW momentarily (I have the A battery), before it started ramping down.

I'm expecting Cottonwood and Wycolo to pull up any minute. It's Wyoming in winter, so the wind is blowing 30G50: no quadcopter views today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 599
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 586
Last edited:
I like the drive forward configuration. The ones I stopped at in the midwest only had one stall setup that way (against a curb). I wonder why they can't make them all that way.
I think there are two main reasons:

1. It's easier to clear snow and debris when the stalls are all out of the way.
  2. It's cheaper to run a single trench for the power than multiple trenches, which then need to be repaved.

Nashua! How useless...its not even on the 93 expressway. Plus it's only 42 miles from Boston, ugh...how are people going to drive into the NH Ski Areas....

Stopped by the Greenwich CT Supercharger this morning and met Mark and Peter as they were putting the finishing touches and getting final sign offs for the Northbound Superchargers. The word is that by the end of the day today it should be energized! The southbound plaza is not due to open for 2 - 3 weeks but the superchargers there are set to be final approved today as well and should go online as soon as the service plaza opens.

Mark works for the General Contractor who is responsible for the nationwide supercharger network. He is directly responsible for the Midwest and Northeast installations. I was able to garner some interesting pieces of information.

1- They are working on getting agreement with MA for a SC at the Charlton Service Plaza on I90 just East of I84. The issue here seems to be that there is an ADA issue. The location the plaza would like to be the SC location is far from the food services (McDonalds) which in my opinion is terrific as the SC will be less likely to be Iced. However, the Plaza would like a handicap accessible path/ramp be created. Evidently this is logistically difficult so negotiations are ongoing. I suggested that Tesla explain that SC are not parking spots but refueling locations. Gas pumps do not require handicap access from the pumps to food services. Certainly as long as the SC are handicap accessible and there are parking locations need the food services then this should facilitate access. Mark was intrigued by my take but who knows if the authorities in MA will be similarly intrigued.

2- I asked him about the Albany location and he suggested that Colonie Center sounded familiar. At this point that location is just waiting for the lease to be signed. Tesla has signed it they are simply waiting for it to be returned. Mark said that once this is signed they are ready to go as the equipment is already staged. This location could be online in February.

3- Edison there is a whole thread on Edison and as we know the last meeting of the zoning board was postponed. It seems that the gentleman who had a concern regarding the aesthetics of the screen was on vacation. Mark is hopeful that the revised design will be approved next week. Evidently there is a local process that needs to take place after approval takes place that could take a few weeks but Mark was hopeful that this site will be online in March.

4- I asked about White River Junction and who did not have any info on this site however he did say that work is being done to secure a Nashua site so hopefully this will be installed soon.

Anyway that is my brain dump!

Wouldn't the pack C-rate be the limiting factor, so the 50 kW CHAdeMO cannot ever charge at a higher rate than a 90 kW Supercharger, no matter where on the taper curve?
In the general sense, I think yes -- C-rate limits you. In the specific case, I think no; I think Tesla software/firmware controls the taper curve and is (maybe) being overly conservative on the taper rate in the old algorithm -- even for A batteries. Elaborating, my expectation is that the Tesla curve is protecting against degradation risk whereas for the CHAdeMO case they may not be.

BTW, the Stalls in Cheyenne are 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, so adjacent stalls share the same Supercharger cabinet, different than most new installs.

Cottonwood - Were you able to confirm that adjacent stalls share (1A-1B and 2A-2B)? Normal, IL is also labeled like Cheyenne: 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B. The pairing at Normal is 1A-2A share a cabinet and 1B-2B share a cabinet. So the physical arrangement of pairing is like most other superchargers, but the naming convention is not. I've emailed the supercharger team asking if they could change the labels to be consistent with the naming convention elsewhere. I'm wondering if perhaps Normal was just poor labeling on the part of the install contractor. I've considering buying the letters and numbers myself, but I think that may be going too far.

- - - Updated - - -

Upon re-reading your post Cottonwood... I now understand that you confirmed the strange pairing. Still makes Normal... un-normal.

Great weather all along I-10 Santa Monica CA to Jacksonville FL. I sure hope crews are doing Supercharger installations all along the southern route now. This is just the best time of year to get the work done and add a second transcontinental route. Texans sure would like to move outside of their island!! Then as March-April time frames come along the crews could work on I-40, again in great weather! Perhaps some north-south routes could be completed simultaneously! Thank you TESLA for all your work in Arizona connecting us to the west coast through Yuma!
I checked Cabazon CA on Monday morning and still nothing to report at the outlet(s). I drove through them both and thoroughly checked out the new parking garage to no avail :( To make supercharging very easy coast to coast we still need this vital location Cabazon CA/Indio CA along I-10 as well. I'll be in the area again in another week, so if anyone knows of any other locations to check out in the Cabazon CA/Indio CA area, please let me know, I will be glad to investigate.
The Tesla Supercharging Network is coming together. I sure hope by the launch of the Model X there are multiple ways to cross the nation and multiple ways to get from northern locations to southern ones! This may all look so long ago once millions of Gen3's are on the road!!:biggrin:

It will be interesting to see if there is a taper here. If it's a steady 50 kW, then it will be faster than a supercharger for 90kW-supercharging batteries at around 150mi rated (since the supercharger tapering dips below 50 kW somewhere around there).

SAE and CHAdeMo charge protocols all have the car control the charging process. In most, or maybe all, cars the battery controller commands the instaneous voltage and current from the charger throughout the charging process. This is true for both on-board chargers and off-board DC fast chargers.

The taper rate should be identical for any given car, no matter what charger is used.

GSP

YES !!
which could be in response to any number of things in this thread, in this case: Moab . . . Yes !!

as I've said before, the relative close proximity of Blanding, Moab, Green River, (and east into CO/south into AZ) to each other makes possible additional exploration in an area that warrants it. REALLY warrants it

another update: SuperCharger Team responded to my email (from a few pages back). They said it's great to receive positive feedback from customers. I also wrote to Culvers saying I am going to eat at my local Culvers more often because the Mauston, Wisconsin SC is at a Culvers! Good food too.

Last edited: