Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it means anything... I just did an 11,000 + mile trip and total cost was about $330. Prices were all over the place - but a big number gives you a good idea if averaged - in this case 3 cents per mile. Wife gets hers free, but I have to pay.
That's a pretty cheap SuperCharger average cost. Assuming ~333 Wh/mile, that's only ~$0.10 per kWh average cost you paid

If it means anything... I just did an 11,000 + mile trip and total cost was about $330. Prices were all over the place - but a big number gives you a good idea if averaged - in this case 3 cents per mile. Wife gets hers free, but I have to pay.
Three cents per mile is basically the same cost as my cost for charging at home (2020 X LR).

Three cents per mile is basically the same cost as my cost for charging at home (2020 X LR).
I have free supercharging on my X. Most of my daily around town driving is covered by the free chargers I can plug into at my gym while working out, so I rarely charge at home. That said, using TeslaFi I've worked out that if I had to pay (my home rate) for every single charge I've ever done in my car, it would work out to be about .03 a mile.

My dad tracks his gas mileage and maintenance pretty religiously on his old 2004 Prius. His numbers work out to be the same, it costs him about .03 a mile these days to drive that car. "See, there's not much difference!" he says.. To which I reply, "True, but you're driving a 2004 Toyota Prius."

(That said, the best car is the one you have, and him milking almost 300,000 miles out of that Prius is both impressive, and good for the planet, although I'd still rather drive a Model X if the costs are the same.)

I have free supercharging on my X. Most of my daily around town driving is covered by the free chargers I can plug into at my gym while working out, so I rarely charge at home. That said, using TeslaFi I've worked out that if I had to pay (my home rate) for every single charge I've ever done in my car, it would work out to be about .03 a mile.

My dad tracks his gas mileage and maintenance pretty religiously on his old 2004 Prius. His numbers work out to be the same, it costs him about .03 a mile these days to drive that car. "See, there's not much difference!" he says.. To which I reply, "True, but you're driving a 2004 Toyota Prius."

(That said, the best car is the one you have, and him milking almost 300,000 miles out of that Prius is both impressive, and good for the planet, although I'd still rather drive a Model X if the costs are the same.)
My 2004 cost 4.54 cents per mile at 146,502 miles with an average 56.7 mpg. (Feb 26, 2013 was when I stopped recording) Tesla came a few days later.

Reactions: Fiver
This has been a pet-peeve of mine since tesla started charging $$ for supercharger use. My Model S is from 2015 and has free supercharging so I am completely in the dark about what Tesla is charging those without free supercharging.

even more annoying, this forum -- usually so informative on all matters Tesla and the EV life -- seems to respond to my questions about supercharger pricing with vague non-answers.

I'm curious regarding the pricing b/c as my Model S ages, she will need to be replaced. at that point I will be joining the ranks of those who must pay for SCing.

I would like to figure out how much I will be on the hook for.
The costs for supercharging have been going up and some locations have peak pricing - I had been keeping track of my supercharger "costs" just out of curiosity. From Oct 1st 2018 to now I've been "charged" $3859.38 for 299 supercharging sessions for an average of $12.91/session.

wow 11 thousand miles trip!! What was your route?

Also how does that $330 compare to an equivalent gas car that would give 25 miles to a gallon?

Also how does that $330 compare to an equivalent gas car that would give 25 miles to a gallon?

Driving a 25 mpg car 11,000 miles would burn 440 gallons of gas. At $3 a gallon (according to the gas station I drove past the other day regular gas is closer to $4 a gallon, but it's a bit more here than nationally), that would be $1320.

Only destination charging done was at Pigeon Forge, TN as the newly built Tesla Chargers there were at least a week till open. Everywhere else was Supercharger. I kept a log of arrival time/level/charging rate and departure time/ level/price. Haven't transferred that info to the computer yet, but - yep. Departed with 34757 on May 25. Got home with 45170 on Jun 23. The two sessions at REI (Pigeon Forge) netted 61 mi and 94 mi respectively. So, actual total miles was 10,413 or 10,258 on Superrchargers. REI was free and for some reason, Amarillo, Tx and Yermo, CA didn't charge me (doubloons that is). Total cost from Tesla was $330 plus change. So that works out to approx 3.217 cents per mile for Supercharging the 10258 miles
I expected it to be much higher..

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

OK... roughly Monterey Peninsula (start) thru Oakland, Sacramento, Reno, NV. Interstate 80 to Wells, NV, north to Jackpot, NV. Then at Twin Falls, ID caught I-84 East to Idaho Falls. Veered NE to West Yellowstone. thru Yellowstone Park to Cody, WY. east to Sheridan via US 14 to Dayton (highly recommend that portion). From Sheridan (I-80) to Spearfish, S.D. then north to Dickinson, N.D. Cross N.D. to Fargo,then to Minneapolis, MN - cross the river to Hudson, WI and back. South to Austin, MN (Spam museum). West to Luverne, MN, south on US 25 to Sioux City, IA. Crossed into Nebraska and back to I-29 South to Missouri, jump to Leavenworth, KS and back. Then East at Kansas City to St. Louis. South to Miner, MO. A short jump to St Francis, AR and back east to Kentucky via Cairo, IL. North to Ft Knox (an old -residence) then Louisville. KY. Then to Cincinnati, OH crossing to Indiana and back. North to Michigan, east via Toledo to Sandusky, Cleveland, then Erie, PA to New York state. Across from Buffalo to Brattleboro, VT, to Hooksett, NH to Kittery, ME. Then South around Boston to Rhode Island, Connecticut, skirting NYC to New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland. Stop in DC, then west through Leesburg, VA to Harpers Ferry and Charles Town, WV. Back South thru the western part of VA to Bristol, TN then Asheville, NC. To Brevard, NC (visit an old home) back to Asheville, then Pigeon Forge, TN. After visiting a few days at a family event, onward via Gatlinburg, TN to Fair Play, SC. Then into Georgia to Tifton, GA. Southwest to Tallahasee, FL to Mobile, AL, thru Mississippi to New Orleans, LA. To Shreveport, LA, Houston, Tx. to Waco, Tx. Then Copperas Cove, TX (another old home). Then north thru Childress, TX to Shamrock, TX (or I-40) with a jump over to Erick, OK and back - then on to Amarillo, TX. Tucumcari, NM, the veer NW to Santa Fe. To Four Corners (where Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah meet). However it was closed so I had to wing it on back roads to make sure I hit all 4 states.. Then to Blanding, UT (desperately needed that charger) Backtracking to Page, AZ. Then St.George, Las Vegas, NV, Yermo, CA, Santa Clarita, Santa Barbara, Salinas and back to Monterey, CA (origin). 45 states. Did 3 earlier this year - WA, OR and of course CA. So that's 48 with Alaska and Hawaii left to make all 50 this year. In October, flight to Anchorage, Alaska - just overnight then non stop Anchorage to Hawaii. (Just don't think the model 3 can do those)
Gave a box of Lula's chocolates to one stranger in each state with that state's post card stamped and addressed to the owner of Lula's chocolates (Scott Lund). Asked each to post a note about anything. Great conversation starter.

Gave a box of Lula's chocolates to one stranger in each state with that state's post card stamped and addressed to the owner of Lula's chocolates (Scott Lund). Asked each to post a note about anything. Great conversation starter.
Lol, how many people refused to take candy from a stranger? I think if someone had offered this to me I would have had to refuse on principle. After being repeatedly warned about this all throughout my childhood, you'd think it would have been a very regular occurrence, but not once has it ever happened in my entire life so far. So, just to be able to say to my mom, "See, even after all these years, I actually was listening," I couldn't have accepted. At least, not at first.

Supercharging is going to become a lot more crowded in 2022... and more expensive according to Elon. ;)

"Over the last few months, Tesla has indicated that it plans to open the Supercharger network, its extensive global network of fast-charging stations, to electric vehicles from other automakers. It has been a controversial idea within the Tesla community as some owners worry about the impact on the charging network’s traffic, which already results in some significant wait times in some markets. Today, Tesla CEO Elon Musk was asked about the plan to open the Supercharger network during Tesla’s Q2 earnings conference call and confirmed the strategy:
We are thinking about a real simple thing where you just download the Tesla app, you go to the Supercharger, you just indicate which stall you are in, you plug in your car, even if it’s not a Tesla, and you just access the app to tell “turn on the stall that I’m in for how much electricity,” and this should work for almost any manufacturer’s electric car.
The CEO confirmed that this would be available to anyone in markets where Tesla uses the CCS standard. In North America, Tesla uses its own proprietary connector, and the CEO confirmed that an adapter will be made available. Non-Tesla EV owners will be able to buy it, and Tesla will also make it available at the Supercharger stations. But the big question is how Tesla is going to onboard those new Supercharger users without overloading the network. Musk confirmed that they plan to introduce more advanced dynamic pricing based on charging speed and traffic at specific stations in order to encourage shorter charging sessions."

Lol, how many people refused to take candy from a stranger? I think if someone had offered this to me I would have had to refuse on principle. After being repeatedly warned about this all throughout my childhood, you'd think it would have been a very regular occurrence, but not once has it ever happened in my entire life so far. So, just to be able to say to my mom, "See, even after all these years, I actually was listening," I couldn't have accepted. At least, not at first.
Haha... never occurred to me. But after I intro'd and told the story about my son challenging me to do 50 states in one year, and about Scott Lund and his grandmother, Lula - whose recipe and cooking equipment he uses to make the chocolate - then telling them, as a resident of that state, they are the only one in that state, and handing them a gift wrapped box of chocolate. No, never occurred to me. Afterwards, they could have tossed them, given to someone else...who knows. But I always got a smile and occasionally a tear.
And.... one box to a policeman in NJ and a fireman in Ohio.

OK... roughly Monterey Peninsula (start) thru Oakland, Sacramento, Reno, NV. Interstate 80 to Wells, NV, north to Jackpot, NV. Then at Twin Falls, ID caught I-84 East to Idaho Falls. Veered NE to West Yellowstone. thru Yellowstone Park to Cody, WY. east to Sheridan via US 14 to Dayton (highly recommend that portion). From Sheridan (I-80) to Spearfish, S.D. then north to Dickinson, N.D. Cross N.D. to Fargo,then to Minneapolis, MN - cross the river to Hudson, WI and back. South to Austin, MN (Spam museum). West to Luverne, MN, south on US 25 to Sioux City, IA. Crossed into Nebraska and back to I-29 South to Missouri, jump to Leavenworth, KS and back. Then East at Kansas City to St. Louis. South to Miner, MO. A short jump to St Francis, AR and back east to Kentucky via Cairo, IL. North to Ft Knox (an old -residence) then Louisville. KY. Then to Cincinnati, OH crossing to Indiana and back. North to Michigan, east via Toledo to Sandusky, Cleveland, then Erie, PA to New York state. Across from Buffalo to Brattleboro, VT, to Hooksett, NH to Kittery, ME. Then South around Boston to Rhode Island, Connecticut, skirting NYC to New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland. Stop in DC, then west through Leesburg, VA to Harpers Ferry and Charles Town, WV. Back South thru the western part of VA to Bristol, TN then Asheville, NC. To Brevard, NC (visit an old home) back to Asheville, then Pigeon Forge, TN. After visiting a few days at a family event, onward via Gatlinburg, TN to Fair Play, SC. Then into Georgia to Tifton, GA. Southwest to Tallahasee, FL to Mobile, AL, thru Mississippi to New Orleans, LA. To Shreveport, LA, Houston, Tx. to Waco, Tx. Then Copperas Cove, TX (another old home). Then north thru Childress, TX to Shamrock, TX (or I-40) with a jump over to Erick, OK and back - then on to Amarillo, TX. Tucumcari, NM, the veer NW to Santa Fe. To Four Corners (where Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah meet). However it was closed so I had to wing it on back roads to make sure I hit all 4 states.. Then to Blanding, UT (desperately needed that charger) Backtracking to Page, AZ. Then St.George, Las Vegas, NV, Yermo, CA, Santa Clarita, Santa Barbara, Salinas and back to Monterey, CA (origin). 45 states. Did 3 earlier this year - WA, OR and of course CA. So that's 48 with Alaska and Hawaii left to make all 50 this year. In October, flight to Anchorage, Alaska - just overnight then non stop Anchorage to Hawaii. (Just don't think the model 3 can do those)
Can you reply to this thread and tell him how wrong he is?

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Supercharging is going to become a lot more crowded in 2022... and more expensive according to Elon. ;)

"Over the last few months, Tesla has indicated that it plans to open the Supercharger network, its extensive global network of fast-charging stations, to electric vehicles from other automakers. It has been a controversial idea within the Tesla community as some owners worry about the impact on the charging network’s traffic, which already results in some significant wait times in some markets. Today, Tesla CEO Elon Musk was asked about the plan to open the Supercharger network during Tesla’s Q2 earnings conference call and confirmed the strategy:

The CEO confirmed that this would be available to anyone in markets where Tesla uses the CCS standard. In North America, Tesla uses its own proprietary connector, and the CEO confirmed that an adapter will be made available. Non-Tesla EV owners will be able to buy it, and Tesla will also make it available at the Supercharger stations. But the big question is how Tesla is going to onboard those new Supercharger users without overloading the network.
Musk confirmed that they plan to introduce more advanced dynamic pricing based on charging speed and traffic at specific stations in order to encourage shorter charging sessions."
I still don't know how they are going to make this work for the 90% of EV's that don't have their charge ports in the same spot as Tesla. You can't just use a supercharger extension cable on those 250kW lines. I know they had some for the 150kW versions to charge the test Semi, but that wasn't practical.

So how are they going to make this work? It's not like a normal J1772 adaptor in this case.

• Helpful
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
I still don't know how they are going to make this work for the 90% of EV's that don't have their charge ports in the same spot as Tesla. You can't just use a supercharger extension cable on those 250kW lines. I know they had some for the 150kW versions to charge the test Semi, but that wasn't practical.

So how are they going to make this work? It's not like a normal J1772 adaptor in this case.
I would surmise that the new supercharger adapter will have to come with a long cable. ;)

I've been wondering about this as well. Perhaps the Tesla to CCS adapter will come with a cable extension?