Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla source from last September was correct on the other two PA locations so I am planning to get back to checking some very suspicious power company markings in the back parking lot of a hotel in New Cumberland. With the location moving from the coming soon map to the end of 2014 map and no new activity over a several month period I suspect it got delayed. With the nasty winter finally over I need to take a trip up that way.

So I did some exploration in New Cumberland today. Donauker was absolutely correct when he spotted these utility markings in a hotel parking lot:

ebu2ysap.jpg

The hotel manager confirmed that those lines were for a potential supercharger installation with six stalls. Unfortunately, the hotel would not agree to Tesla's lease terms, which according to the hotel manager consist of a nominal annual fee, and the only other benefit is increased revenue for additional hotel guests, which is of course questionable for a Supercharger site. The hotel told Tesla no thanks, perhaps you should pursue this with a nearby restaurant, which would definitely see revenue for almost every owner stopping to charge.

I looked at all of the nearby restaurants and hotels, and saw no evidence of Supercharger efforts.

I also have to say traffic and access near this exit is pretty horrible, worse even than Cranberry. Carlisle would be marginally better, and would serve I-76 and I-81.

Very interested to see what happens with this dot in 2014.

Unfortunately, the hotel would not agree to Tesla's lease terms, which according to the hotel manager consist of a nominal annual fee, and the only other benefit is increased revenue for additional hotel guests, which is of course questionable for a Supercharger site. The hotel told Tesla no thanks, perhaps you should pursue this with a nearby restaurant, which would definitely see revenue for almost every owner stopping to charge.

Interesting....I was under the impression that, if anything, Tesla paid to "rent" Supercharger sites. I didn't think they charged landowners for the privilege.

Interesting....I was under the impression that, if anything, Tesla paid to "rent" Supercharger sites. I didn't think they charged landowners for the privilege.

Mayhemm, I think you read JakeP's wording incorrectly, the key being the phrase "the only other benefit". Tesla's lease terms appear to be referring to what Tesla pays the site owner.

Being involved indirectly with Tesla's lease agreements, my understanding is that most of their sites are free for the space, or nearly so. Tesla pays for the infrastructure, electricity, and installation of their equipment.

Yes, Tesla pays for the equipment and the electricity, but pays only a tiny fee for the space...less than $50 per year, according to this fellow I spoke with yesterday.

> heard that Binghamton, NY is being scouted by the site acquisition team [JakeP]

Binghamton, NY is a natural crossroads (win win!):

1. Erie, PA > Hormel, NY > Binghamton > Colonie (I-86 route)

2. (Philly Area) > Binghamton > Clayton, NY* (mid point between Toronto <=> Montreal) (I-81 route)

* or build the SC across the border as the 1st Canadian SC.
--

> heard that Binghamton, NY is being scouted by the site acquisition team [JakeP]

2. (Philly Area) > Binghamton > Clayton, NY* (mid point between Toronto <=> Montreal) (I-81 route)

--

I really, really hope route #1 above becomes a reality. It also enables Erie > Hornell > Ithaca > Syracuse, in addition to Binghamton to Colonie on I-88, and on to Massachusetts or VT.

--

Binghamton is key.

> Binghamton is key [ericallyn]

I-86 route, aka 'Southern Tier', 'Finger Lakes' has scenic beauty, much less mountain climbing than I-80, no lake-effect snow compared to I-90, and no tolls. SCs along I-86 could effectively feed all the metro areas along I-90 quite well. And introduce to many E-W travelers a refreshing alternative.

Much like the [Cheyenne > Lusk > Rapid City > Murdo] transform did to the status quo. Before Elon skewed our thinking it was always: Cheyenne > Lincoln, *then* begin your variation. Now I can't wait to do this I-90 Northern Route (real soon now!).
--

Depends where you're going, of course. I-80 to NYC is still the best option. I-80 to I-81 to I-84 effectively serves CT. Then follow I-84 up to I-90 gets you to Boston.

The problem with I-86 is getting from Binghamton to I-84. While 17 through Monticello is a beautiful drive, it's slow and hilly.

Supercharger Completion Rate

It was a little tedious, and my number is probably +/- a few, but I got a count of 202 Supercharger "red dots" on Tesla's end of 2014 North America Map. With 85 in operation now, that give the following stats for completion rate if Tesla wishes to reach the 202 mark. 14 Completions a month means Tesla better pick up the pace soon!

End of 2014.png

I doubt we will see more than another 80-90 the rest of the year. Just a feeling.;-)

Looking at the chart on the SuperCharger map page, there was a burst of activity up to January 20 and then a slower but steady rise since then. The trailing 91 days (Jan 20 to Apr 21) has netted us 17 more SCs in North America. Extrapolating that out through the end of the year, we would see 47 more SCs. This is well short of the 200 by year's end I've seen tossed around. Of course they could put on another big push like late 2013 but the current trend is not very promising. However, the 2013 end of year push netted about 30 more SCs so it could be possible that we'll see a total of 75-80 more SCs this year. Nothing I've seen indicates they will hit a higher rate than the 2013 Christmas push.