Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coasting is more efficient than unnecessary regen. Enforced regen has a net energy loss, and on the highway you'll then have to use energy to get back up to speed.
Teslas have some of the lowest Wh/mi numbers in the EV industry. I would respectfully suggest that the Tesla engineering team knows a whole lot more about EV energy efficiency than you do. If you would like to share with us your professional qualifications I’m sure that would be of interest.

I haven't traveled much over the last year since leaving California but I haven't heard much about lines/waiting to charge at superchargers. How is this problem currently, specifically in 2021 and more recently? Are people in California still seeing regular lines in high demand areas (ie. Bay Area and LA region)?

It doesn't seem like anything's drastically changed except maybe that enough time has passed for V3 superchargers to have an effect. I'm hoping preassembled/fabricated superchargers could help Tesla install new stations more frequently, but they'd also have to increase the new supercharger equipment manufacturing rate (which I know they added manufacturing capacity for China).
We just returned from another 2K road trip from southern IL to southern MD via I-64, aside from ONE charging session where I pulled into a SCer in Lexington Ky and 7 of the 8 stalls were occupied none of the 10 different locations we charged at over a 7 day period had any more than 50% of the stalls occupied and often we were the only car charging (at least when we arrived) Glen Allen Va was that exception, 12 of 20 were occupied during our stay. In Lexington, I chatted with a few owners and it turns out most of them were locals who don't have home charging.

Reactions: IdaX
Teslas have some of the lowest Wh/mi numbers in the EV industry. I would respectfully suggest that the Tesla engineering team knows a whole lot more about EV energy efficiency than you do. If you would like to share with us your professional qualifications I’m sure that would be of interest.

he is correct. Regen does waste energy (30%) but it wastes less than braking (100%). So for the few occasions where coasting is desireable the person just needs to learn how to modulate the regen using the accelerator pedal.

he is correct. Regen does waste energy (30%) but it wastes less than braking (100%). So for the few occasions where coasting is desireable the person just needs to learn how to modulate the regen using the accelerator pedal.
Of course applying the brakes is more wasteful, energy-wise, than slowing the car by decreasing pressure on the accelerator. That is not the point of this discussion.

Your recommendation to “modulate the regen” does not take into account the fact that in the real world the driver needs to control their speed based on the posted speed limit and what other cars are doing around them.

Yes, EV drivers use the accelerator pedal to slow down (and speed up) but they do that in response to speed limits, stop signs/signals, and other cars. When slowing down, regen engages and that is controlled by the car’s software, not by the driver.

On the highway, using TACC and letting the software control the speed (while continuing to monitor the road ahead and behind you) will result in the most energy efficient, and safest, mode of travel.

If the driver tries to “coast” on the highway by staring at the tiny horizontal colored bar (in the 3 and Y) that shows whether the drivetrain is drawing power from the battery or putting power back into it and trying to stay as close to the mid-point as possible, then they are not watching the road and they are not driving safely. They can’t do that by feel, they would need to watch the bar indicator. Which would be a bad strategy.

Set TACC and go. The car is smarter than the driver in that regard.

Nevertheless the poster who said coasting is more efficient than regen is correct. I have seen this quite a bit in Nissan Leaf where I get much better numbers and range when I put it in neutral and coast (when it is feasible), and have seen the same in Teslas too. Of course shifting to N in a Leaf is a breeze. Not so much in a Tesla, and so I rarely do that in a Tesla.

Nevertheless the poster who said coasting is more efficient than regen is correct. I have seen this quite a bit in Nissan Leaf where I get much better numbers and range when I put it in neutral and coast (when it is feasible), and have seen the same in Teslas too. Of course shifting to N in a Leaf is a breeze. Not so much in a Tesla, and so I rarely do that in a Tesla.
Definitely... between regen and friction brakes, regen is going to be more efficient... between regen and coasting, coasting is going to have fewer losses (assuming there is enough room to coast down to desired speed without resorting to using friction brakes) -- but I think there is one notable exception: long & steep downhill sections... a slower speed using regen can be more efficient than allowing coasting to higher speed which incurs higher frictional losses (rolling resistance & aero drag) -- there's a crossover point somewhere.

We just returned from another 2K road trip from southern IL to southern MD via I-64, aside from ONE charging session where I pulled into a SCer in Lexington Ky and 7 of the 8 stalls were occupied none of the 10 different locations we charged at over a 7 day period had any more than 50% of the stalls occupied and often we were the only car charging (at least when we arrived) Glen Allen Va was that exception, 12 of 20 were occupied during our stay. In Lexington, I chatted with a few owners and it turns out most of them were locals who don't have home charging.
Back on topic... come visit California if you want to experience full superchargers and lines of cars waiting or spaces to open. ;)

Supercharger data through Q1 2022 for North America. Record number of new locations and stalls for any Q1.
(Disclaimer: data was pulled from supercharge.info, which is not official data from Tesla)

New locations per quarter
1650379364531.png

New stalls per quarter
1650379399836.png

It is for the date when the status is first shown as "Open", so the opening date.
First time on this forum so excuse my question if it has been answered many times.

I’m looking for a Supercharging speeds “chart”, or at least the data, to make my own chart. I would like to know how long it will take to charge my new X at a 250kw Supercharger from rated miles 35-50 (10%), 50-65, etc. up to 275 (79%).

Predicting how long one will take at the Supercharger is the goal and I realize that there are other things to consider, like the state of battery, weather, etc. but this chart will get it close enough. Thanks for any help.

Congratulations on your new X! For charging time for your scenario, I estimate about 20-25 minutes. Longer for a 120kW Supercharger, and longer still for a 75kW “Urban” Supercharger.’

I’’m not aware of any online charts that answer your question but maybe there are some. I found this but I don’t think it is accurate How long does it take to charge a Tesla Model X Standard? . It shows that at a 250kW charger it will take 33 minutes to go from 10% to 80%.

Congratulations on your new X! For charging time for your scenario, I estimate about 20-25 minutes. Longer for a 120kW Supercharger, and longer still for a 75kW “Urban” Supercharger.’

I’’m not aware of any online charts that answer your question but maybe there are some. I found this but I don’t think it is accurate How long does it take to charge a Tesla Model X Standard? . It shows that at a 250kW charger it will take 33 minutes to go from 10% to 80%.
Thanks. Helpful but not quite enough to say how long from 40% to 70%, etc. I'll keep looking or do my own recording when I ever get to a 250 kw supercharger

Thanks. Helpful but not quite enough to say how long from 40% to 70%, etc. I'll keep looking or do my own recording when I ever get to a 250 kw supercharger
With all due respect, this sort of sounds like a fool's errand. Won't you need to go to the charger when you're at 10%SOC at 30F; then when you're at 10% SOC at 40F; etc. A lot of recording and you will still have only a vague idea because if you show up with 20%SOC at 35F then your numbers are going to be off. The same holds true for higher SOC and higher temperatures and factors like battery temperature, etc. Seems like you've driven a Tesla long enough to know the quickest charging takes place from a low SOC to about 50%. Good knowledge for road trips and fast charging.Otherwise, IMHO, you're taking (wasting) more time at a charger than necessary. My feeling is you already have a pretty good idea of relative charge times with your Tesla experience. But if you'd feel better trying to quantify that in a chart more power to you!.:confused:

It's hard to trust the accuracy of the construction status. Lots of those listed as under construction are actually open.
Do you have any examples of sites that are online and listed as under construction? I just did a spot check on a few and they were all still actively under construction.

If you do know of a location not listed correctly you can go into the post on this site and tag @corywright or @MarcoRP and they can update the supercharge.info site to have them correctly listed if there is evidence of them actually being open. It greatly helps the Tesla community to have that site up to date.

Last edited:

I think this is what you're looking for. It's for a Model S Plaid, but that should match your late-model X I would think. According to this the 40-70% should be about 14 minutes. That assumes the battery temperature is optimum, which can take 30 minutes or more of preconditioning. Your car will do that for you as long as you set a supercharger as your destination.

Lots more info on the site: InsideEVs: Tesla Model S Plaid Fast Charging Results Amaze

plaid_charge.png