Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was it BMW again? They've already been caught at the Newark DE supercharger before with a tesla and a laptop taking notes of how the supercharging works, lol. If I recall right they said something like they were amazed at how Tesla could do this safely and were trying to understand how they did it.

BMW is a German car manufacturer. cjc9er specified that it was a US company.

As demand for SCs increase with the Model X and Gen III, do you think Tesla will spend more time on expanding the number of stalls at existing SC sites, or build new sites in between existing SC routes? I know it depends on each site location in terms of expansion, but I'd rather see more frequent stops available, but that just means more permitting and new site development. But even with development of new sites with 4 or 6 stalls, I could still see overcrowding (and ICEing) being a growing problem.

As demand for SCs increase with the Model X and Gen III, do you think Tesla will spend more time on expanding the number of stalls at existing SC sites, or build new sites in between existing SC routes? I know it depends on each site location in terms of expansion, but I'd rather see more frequent stops available, but that just means more permitting and new site development. But even with development of new sites with 4 or 6 stalls, I could still see overcrowding (and ICEing) being a growing problem.

I think they will do both. SCs that are currently heavily used will see additions (and some have) while new ones will crop up. In the US, I see the need to complete a southern X country route and more SCs in New England.

I think they will do both. SCs that are currently heavily used will see additions (and some have) while new ones will crop up. In the US, I see the need to complete a southern X country route and more SCs in New England.

I agree that both approaches will be required. Assuming that Tesla is successful in ramping up production by more than an order of magnitude to meet Gen III production targets, the pace of Supercharger network expansion will have to greatly increase. If congestion becomes a problem at certain Supercharger locations that would be a good candidate for battery swapping to augment Supercharging. It's true that new sites will require additional permitting and site development. However, Tesla management has informed me that now that the Model S has become more well-known prospective host locations have become much more receptive to the idea of allocating space for Supercharger stations. So negotiations with property owners for site locations will probably be less protracted in comparison to the the initial roll-out.

Larry

I wonder if there have been overcrowding issues at locations with this holiday weekend.

I hit Glen Allen VA, Newark DE, and Hamilton NJ on Friday and again today plus Woodbridge VA. I saw at most one other car at each site while I was there, not counting the [REDACTED] in a gray SUV who was parked sideways across three of the four at Newark this afternoon, though he jumped back in and sped off as soon as I parked in the remaining bay and started reaching for my phone.

So looks like no overcrowding in the US superchargers this Memorial Day weekend. I'm not surprised. All recent the fuss in these forums about wait times was about TWO supercharger sites, Barstow, and Hawthorne. Hawthorne was recently expanded, and the recently added SJC site took a huge load from it. Barstow is still a bottleneck, but wasn't overloaded this particular weekend, and Tesla is working to fix that bottleneck. There have been other sites that got busy in the past, but Tesla has fixed those issues already through expansion.

Going forward, I see Tesla both expanding existing sites when possible and warranted, and also adding fill in sites.

Great job SC team, and may your journey through permitting hell be as painless as possible going forward so that the rest of the country may enjoy the best charging network in the world.

So looks like no overcrowding in the US superchargers this Memorial Day weekend. I'm not surprised. All recent the fuss in these forums about wait times was about TWO supercharger sites, Barstow, and Hawthorne. Hawthorne was recently expanded, and the recently added SJC site took a huge load from it. Barstow is still a bottleneck, but wasn't overloaded this particular weekend, and Tesla is working to fix that bottleneck. There have been other sites that got busy in the past, but Tesla has fixed those issues already through expansion.

Going forward, I see Tesla both expanding existing sites when possible and warranted, and also adding fill in sites.

Great job SC team, and may your journey through permitting hell be as painless as possible going forward so that the rest of the country may enjoy the best charging network in the world.

I'm actually a bit surprised. I imaged most people like to head out of town at a similar time making the first location a potential bottle neck. However I'm glad I was wrong with my assumptions. We'll have a chance to measure again on 7/4 with some additional vehicles on the road. Enjoy the short week!

Both. I would expect Tesla first to increase the number of sites until they have good national coverage but then prefer to expand the size of sites: you don't want to have to go from site to site to find a charger; the more customers the Superchargers bring in, the better it is for the host.

Gilroy had brief congestion Saturday morning - all stalls occupied but no cars waiting - but, was better yesterday afternoon. Being an SC close to the Bay Area with all those Memorial Day sales at the outlets there, it was serving a lot of non-roadtrippers too, for sure.

The thing that struck me though about Supercharging is how ridiculously fast it is. My car was good to go within 25-30 minutes both times and I rushed back from the shopping or dining place that I was at to move the car out lest I held someone else up :) One faulty SC stall (one of the new stalls, closest to the cabinets) stopped charging ten minutes in (with the red ring of death) and made me do an extra trip back though to move the car...

Was it BMW again? They've already been caught at the Newark DE supercharger before with a tesla and a laptop taking notes of how the supercharging works, lol. If I recall right they said something like they were amazed at how Tesla could do this safely and were trying to understand how they did it.

Ford and some of the other automakers have test tracks in SW Arizona and appear to alternate between putting Teslas through their paces on the track, and then sending them out for long road trips to and from superchargers. This particular P85 had additional monitoring equipment installed under the hood, a recharging plug for that equipment dangling near the windshield, and a high end GPS antenna mounted on top of the hood, so it's pretty noticeable when you're parked next to it. The Ford sticker in the window caught my attention as well... :)

The TM forums are reporting Gillette and Sheridan, Wyoming are "inked" - Supercharger Locations (existing/planned) - CONFIRMED - not rumored or speculated… | Forums | Tesla Motors

That means there are probably sites on I-90 in Montana in the works that haven't been dug up yet. Go on Internet, find them =)

Looks like the big pushes in the near future are the ways in an out of Atlanta, I-70 east from Denver to St Louis and maybe on to WV, and I-90 to connect WA with SD and onwards to the east. Just gut feel, but Chattanooga may be the start of connecting Chicago and the upper mid-west to Florida via Atlanta; that would be a great route for the MS snowbirds to migrate south out of the midwest this winter...

When will the Texas Island get connected?