TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Supercharger Points Surpass CHAdeMO In North America

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by franknesss, Dec 18, 2014.

1. franknesss

franknesss Member

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

It depends on if you need to use CHAdeMO to get where you need to go, or if you can make the trip using superchargers. The totals are irrelevant, it's what's on your routes that count.

3. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

CHAdeMO is relatively useless, IMO. There is often only one pedestal and only a single car can charge at a time. Thus, there is almost always a wait time. Not to mention, if that one charger goes down, you're out of luck. It's not like you can just back out and try another stall.

4. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

The total number of superchargers is irrelevant, what's important is whether there are any superchargers along your route. That's where having a CHAdeMO can enable long distance travel on non-supercharged routes.

5. dyoreo

dyoreo Member

I sure wish Tesla Superchargers out numbered Chademo in the US.(776)

Chademo Assoc. website states:

ti_top_world.gif

The number of CHAdeMO DC Quick chargers installed up to today is 4286.
    -- (Japan 2129 Europe 1327 USA 776 Others 54) last update 2014.12.08
    -- Evolution of the number of CHAdeMO fast charging station

6. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

And each of the US sites has on average 6 charging stalls per site. Thus the aggregate 884 Supercharing points outnumbers the 776 Chademo charging points in the US.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant?

7. dyoreo

dyoreo Member

They state 776 Chademo Stations... I don't know if there is 1,2, or more charge points.

8. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Yeah. Go to all the trouble to install a hi-V, DC Quick Charge... and only have one plug. And ask for up to $40/month to subscribe?
    Tesla's spoiled me for life!

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

#9 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    No need to average. Supercharge.info knows all. ;)

According to Supercharge.info 852 stalls in the USA (and 34 stalls in Canada). (Another 88 + 35 in Construction).

Current 44kW CHAdeMOs are indeed no good for Tesla's model, but then, they're not being built to sell long-range BEVs. As an emergency or stretch charger for a short-range BEVs 44kW's fine.

10. David99

David99 Active Member

Why are so many anti CHAdeMo? It's not a competition. It is not taking anything away from Tesla. It's helping the overall EV adoption. It's good! And once the adapter is available in the US I will get one and sure as heck use it because there are many places I go where there are no Superchargers but several CHAdeMo stations.

11. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Actually it is a competition. As Teslas and superchargers become more common, the Tesla connector should become the new de facto standard to replace the clunky CHAdeMo.

12. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Rube Goldberg could not have done a better job if had designed an EV connector. The CHAdeMo is Frankenstein design. Tesla's on the other hand is beautifully simple. Given a choice which one would you use? If there is a choice someday Tesla will win hands down.

13. callmesam

callmesam Member

Like where?

14. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Your response seemed to imply that you were stating that you felt that superchargers in fact did NOT outnumber Chademo points, but I guess you are saying you don't really know?

I suspect that Chademo # is individual charge points, I've not seen Chademo chargers setup as sites with multiple charge points and listed as a single site.

15. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Since you asked, there are nine public CHAdeMO stations in my province and zero Superchargers. Mostly likely, next month there will be 14 CHAdeMO and one Supercharger. So yes, everyone here will gladly purchase the adapter and then pay by the minute at CHAdeMO stations. It sure beats 6kW public charging.

16. artsci

artsci Sponsor

17. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Houston and Dallas for me. For my trips to Houston, destination charging is difficult, and Chademo would open up a lot of options.