Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wiki

Mar 21, 2016

Last edited by a moderator:
Any stats on just California? I have heard that about half of Tesla's sold in the US are in California, and I'm guessing CA has much less than half of the Superchanger stalls, it would be interesting if those numbers were available. Also interesting to think of this as cost per car sold. If it takes about 270k to build a station, and each station has an average of 8 stalls (?), so about $34k/stall. I am guessing that 30cars/stall is then about the minimum ratio Tesla would want as that would be about $1000/car just for the installation, more for maintenance and electricity. The add on cost to enable supercharging used to be $2500, so maybe $1000 for installation, $750 for electricity/maintenance, and $750 profit? I would guess they try to maintain in the 40 stalls / supercharger enabled car range with maybe that ratio slowing increasing as the network gets denser so you are less likely to have bottle necks (i.e. Tejon Ranch).

The California data is very interesting as it is arguably the most mature market so it may represent what Tesla's target is world wide. If you look at the most successful markets, Norway, CA, and Netherlands, they all have ratios in the 60 - 100 range. Great data!

Just for comparison I did a little Googling - approx 254M vehicles in the US, somewhere between 115K and 151K gas outlets, and I am guessing, an average of 8 pumps per outlet - means around 210 ICE vehicles per pump...
Interesting. Remembering that the average station time at the pump is far less than the average charge time, the Tesla numbers are still a pretty favorable comparison.

@SBarnes,

No problem. Here is the data you wanted: California Supercharger Stats
I like the calculation you did. I hadn't thought of that.
Troy,

Great work!

What does the asterisk in the California stats mean?

I believe that Florida has the second most Superchargers way behind California. Do you happen to have similar stats for Florida?

Thanks.

Larry

Hi @Larry Chanin,

What does the asterisk in the California stats mean?
There is another asterisk below the table. It means the source for Tesla registrations number in California is CNCDA.
* Source: cncda.org (California New Car Dealers Association)

I believe that Florida has the second most Superchargers way behind California. Do you happen to have similar stats for Florida?

I don't have any data specific to Florida. I could add it but I need a data source that shows how many Teslas were registered there monthly or quarterly. I'm not aware of any source but if you can find that, I don't mind creating another page for that. Cheers

Hi @Larry Chanin,

There is another asterisk below the table. It means the source for Tesla registrations number in California is CNCDA.
* Source: cncda.org (California New Car Dealers Association)

I don't have any data specific to Florida. I could add it but I need a data source that shows how many Teslas were registered there monthly or quarterly. I'm not aware of any data source but if you can find that, I don't mind creating another page for that. Cheers

Thanks.

That was the reason I was asking because I currently don't have a free data source to summarize Florida registration statistics.

Larry

Very interesting data! I would like to mention the metric should be viewed within some context.
For example: the charging infrastructure (outside the SuC) in The Netherlands is very different form other countries. Therefore the are more alternative charging points available. I would love to see some data added for total number of EV's vs total number of charging points to get a 'feel' for how this affects the SuC.

As an example, this site has the official data for The Netherlands on both metrics:
Cijfers elektrisch vervoer | RVO.nl

Hi @808?,

I could add Hong Kong or any other country to the list if it meets these two criteria:

1) The Tesla sales there should be more than 0.5% of Tesla's global sales. For example, in the first half of this year, Tesa sold 29,000 cars. Half a percent is 145 units. If Tesla sold more than 145 units in a country in the first half of this year, I can add it to the list.
2) There should be a data source that shows how many Teslas were sold there. For example, HERE is a list of countries and their data sources.

If there is a country that meets these two criteria, let me know the data source and I will check their Tesla sales numbers. Cheers

Hi @808?,

I could add Hong Kong or any other country to the list if it meets these two criteria:

1) The Tesla sales there should be more than 0.5% of Tesla's global sales. For example, in the first half of this year, Tesa sold 29,000 cars. Half a percent is 145 units. If Tesla sold more than 145 units in a country in the first half of this year, I can add it to the list.
2) There should be a data source that shows how many Teslas were sold there. For example, HERE is a list of countries and their data sources.

If there is a country that meets these two criteria, let me know the data source and I will check their Tesla sales numbers. Cheers

Tesla has 80% market share of Hong Kong’s growing electric vehicle market, German automakers are not happy

wow, great info! Netherlands, California, Belgium are seriously short of superchargers!!

Hi, everybody. I have just added Q3 numbers. Here is what has changed in Q3:
  • The Czech Republic has now its first superchargers. They have 6 stalls and only 166 Teslas in the entire country.
  • Canada and the Netherlands saw slight improvements.
  • Belgium saw a big improvement.
  • USA superchargers are now slightly more crowded.
  • Switzerland has gotten worse. The fleet there jumped from 3057 to 3545 units but stalls stayed at 54.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gwgan
Hi, everybody. I have just added Q3 numbers. Here is what has changed in Q3:
  • The Czech Republic has now its first superchargers. They have 6 stalls and only 166 Teslas in the entire country.
  • Canada and the Netherlands saw slight improvements.
  • Belgium saw a big improvement.
  • USA superchargers are now slightly more crowded.
  • Switzerland has gotten worse. The fleet there jumped from 3057 to 3545 units but stalls stayed at 54.
thanks for the update!! great stats! I am actually surprised that there are 166 Tesla in Czech Republic, I would think it is close to zero.

Hi, @ggnykk. Yes, it's interesting because Tesla doesn't have there any stores or service centers. The 6 stall supercharger they opened there was Tesla's first presence in the country. By the way, in case you find that interesting, there is a team of volunteers here at TMC that collect monthly Tesla registration numbers for each country in Europe. The topic for that is here where you can also see this year's numbers. Past years can be found here: 2013, 2014, 2015. The numbers for Czech Republic are published by their automobile importers association on this website. Car registration numbers by make and model are public data everywhere in Europe, which is very useful. Here is a list of data sources for each country.

Btw, I meant to say 116 in total, not 166.

Last edited: