Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, @ggnykk. Yes, it's interesting because Tesla doesn't have there any stores or service centers. The 6 stall supercharger they opened there was Tesla's first presence in the country. By the way, in case you find that interesting, there is a team of volunteers here at TMC that collect monthly Tesla registration numbers for each country in Europe. The topic for that is here where you can also see this year's numbers. Past years can be found here: 2013, 2014, 2015. The numbers for Czech Republic are published by their automobile importers association on this website. Car registration numbers by make and model are public data everywhere in Europe, which is very useful. Here is a list of data sources for each country.

Btw, I meant to say 116 in total, not 166.
wow, those are all great information!! You guys should create a thread in a more prominent location. Under "misc" and then under 'wiki" is way too hidden for anyone to notice. I have been hanging out at TMC for two years and don't notice that thread.

Reactions: Falkirk
wow, great info! Netherlands, California, Belgium are seriously short of superchargers!!

~100 cars per charger in California does not mean the whole state is short of superchargers. We've driven up north a few times and once you get out of the Los Angeles area, we tend to see 0 - 3 other cars at each station we stop at. On the other hand, certain chargers have so many cars using them daily that you can wait 15+ minutes for a stall to become available. Burbank and San Juan Capistrano are the two main overcrowded chargers that I'm aware of in socal. All the other Los Angeles area chargers I've used tend to hover around half full during business hours.

I think 30 cars per stall is a very low number and you could probably have more like 200 cars per stall before it becomes a problem (except maybe on holidays). This is assuming that people don't stay much longer than they have to. With free charging and 16+ spots at malls giving the illusion there are plenty of spaces, I suspect some people will take a spot and go shopping for hours or even spend the day at work. I also suspect there are far more than 200 cars per stall that periodically travel through the chargers that are currently overcrowded. Why? For Burbank to be constantly full between 8am and 8pm (which it is, from what I've seen, though admittedly I've only visited about 5 times), it needs about 24 cars per day visiting each stall for an average of 30 minutes. 24 cars per day implies far more than 200 cars that use the station occasionally or regularly, at least in my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: ggnykk
Interesting. Remembering that the average station time at the pump is far less than the average charge time, the Tesla numbers are still a pretty favorable comparison.

And lets also remember that most people can't fill up their ICE overnight at their house. You must use a gas station to fill up an ICE (few rare exceptions), and you don't have to use a supercharger at all, except to save time. Home charging is a big deal.

Reactions: Jaff
I don't have any data specific to Florida. I could add it but I need a data source that shows how many Teslas were registered there monthly or quarterly. I'm not aware of any source but if you can find that, I don't mind creating another page for that. Cheers

Troy,

I have a snapshot of Florida Supercharger Density for August 2016.

Florida Supercharger Density.jpg

Larry

• Love
Reactions: Paul Carter
Hi, Larry. I'm glad you could find some data that might be useful to you. By the way, HERE is a Google sheet I created that you might find useful. On the top left click "File > Make a copy". The data shown here will automatically update over time.

Last edited:
Hi, everybody. I have just added the latest data for Q4 2016. Check out the opening message.

Globally, the number of Teslas per supercharger stall stayed almost the same compared to the previous quarter. At the end of Q3 2016, the ratio was 36.4 Teslas per supercharger stall. In Q4, Tesla delivered 22,200 cars. To keep up, they needed to build 22,200/36.4= 610 new stalls in Q4 2016. They have built 592 new stalls, only 18 stalls short.Therefore it changed to 36.5 Teslas per stall at the end of Q4 2016. That's not too bad. For now, Tesla seems to be keeping up with the increased deliveries.

Supercharger stalls added in Q4 2016:
USA 304 (including California)
USA/California 55
China 70
France 48
United Kingdom 28
Norway 22
Sweden 22
Austria 18
Italy 16
Spain 14
Australia 14
Canada 8
Poland 8
Switzerland 8
Japan 6
Belgium 6

• Informative
Reactions: Zythryn and Falkirk
Hi @WannabeOwner,

Even if Tesla closes down some stalls, that doesn't affect the data because at the end of each quarter I'm counting all stalls that are open at that moment. For example, at the end of Q3 2016, Tesla had 142 stalls in the UK. At the end of Q4, they had 170 stalls. These are the two numbers that I see in front of me. 170-142 is 28. Therefore I wrote 28 in my previous message.

You might say, what if they closed down some of the 142 stalls that were open in Q3? That's certainly possible but it doesn't change the fact that they had 170 open stalls at the end of Q4 which is 28 more than the previous quarter. In short, I take a fresh re-count of all open stalls at the end of each quarter. In the opening message you can see the 170 number in the last column of the large table.

Let me show you a screenshot of how my data looks like so you can get a better idea:

LBvqiTz.gif

Thanks for explaining your method, I was concerned in case your figure had come from Supercharger Info "Changes" (there were exactly 28 stalls that opened in that period, which matches your figure and was what raised the doubt in my mind, but Supercharger Info is not listing the sites that closed in that period)

By my count there were 168 stalls in total

2 stalls closed at Bridge Street, Birmingham on 30-Dec, so might have been [reported] outside the cutoff for your report, which would then make your figures exactly tally.

Bristol East Filton (2 stalls) closed on 30-Nov, which should have perhaps exaggerated your figure compared to Q3

I think that something in Winchester also closed in that period, but I may be wrong on that.

New in Q4 2016:

12 @ Charnock Richard Supercharger
8 @ Dundee Supercharger
8 @ Heathrow Supercharger (Terminal 5)

Supercharger Info is still listing three sites, 2 stalls each, total = 6 stalls, which had all closed by end of 2016. Also lists one site as 6 stalls which is actually 8. (And also lists another 2-stall site marked, correctly, as temporarily closed)

So Supercharger Info lists 172 active stalls in total, 6 of which are closed and a further 2 active stalls are missing.

I'm overly sensitive to the number of stalls in the UK as although some new sites have been opened, there are several that have closed :(

I appreciate your analysis :) thank you, I just wanted to be sure that the figures you are able to harvest are spot-on

Last edited:
I think that something in Winchester also closed in that period, but I may be wrong on that.

No, both Winchester sites are still open - there was speculation about the Badger Farm Sainsbury's site since the other two Sainsbury's locations have closed, but it is still open at present (and indication from Tesla is that they don't plan to close until replacement sites are available; their hand was forced at Exeter by unrelated building work). Speculation is Fleet Services on M3 as replacement (though the recent fire there may have caused delay).

(And also lists another 2-stall site marked, correctly, as temporarily closed)

Portman Place has finally disappeared from the Tesla map (after a very long time marked 'temporarily closed' following the gas explosion that blocked access to the site). I think we should regard it as permanently closed, though exactly which date it should be considered to have closed is arguable.

I think the current tally, working north to south is:

Dundee 8
Edinburgh 2
Abington 6
Gretna 4
Washington 8
Leeds 2
Charnock Richard 12
Barnsley 2
Warrington 2
Keele 4
Birmingham (Hopwood Park) 6
Thetford 8
Northampton 6
Stansted (Birchanger Green) 4
Oxford 6
South Mimms 12
Bristol 10 (Cribbs 2 + Gordano 8)
Sarn 8
London Heathrow 15 (T5 8 + Park Inn 2 + West Drayton 5)
Central London 18 (Brent Cross 2 + Westfield 8 + Tower 2 + Canary Wharf 4 + Crystal 2)
Bluewater 5
Reading 4
Maidstone 6
Winchester 4 (Badger Farm 2 + Norton Park 2)
Folkestone 4
Exeter 2

Total 168

Hi, everybody. I have just added the Q1 2017 numbers. Here are some highlights:
  • The global average has increased from 36.4 to 39.3 Teslas per stall.
  • California stayed the same at 97.7 Teslas per stall.
  • USA superchargers are now slightly more crowded at 48.6 Teslas per stall compared to 44.8 in the previous quarter.
  • The situation in all countries in Europe, without exception, has improved. The biggest improvement was in the Netherlands followed by Switzerland, Belgium, Norway, United Kingdom, Luxembourg, Sweden, Austria, Finland, Germany, France, Denmark, and Italy. Q1 2017 has been an excellent quarter for Europe.
Hi, @databen. The data is now up to date. Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: databen