Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla supercharger throttling lawsuit how to join

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cuttin

Oct 25, 2018
Nj
So haven't supercharged in a few months alot. About 6 months ago was doing it every weekend and remember my rates going upto around 130kw.

Now consistently never goes above 86kw. I remember reading this was a number of throttled limit. Some were less also. I have experienced this last year on some old loaner model s cars. Have don't at various Soc and Temps. Many superchargers.

This is VERY frustrating. I am well upto date with all the arguments. Yes it protects the battery Yada Yada.
Never when I got the car was it mentioned anywhere. Makes the car unsellable except to aloof idiots.

From reading, there is a class action lawsuit going about this.

Does anyone know how to join?

2017 MX 75.

It’s a class action suit. If you’re impacted, you are included.

I don’t recall 75 batteries being impacted though. But I may be wrong as I have not kept up with the thread much since I sold my P85D.

It’s especially frustrating for us because right before they throttled us we received a replacement pack that restored our range to factory new. So even if Tesla is correct that they need to throttle older batteries to protect them, there’s no need to throttle ours. Our S is now unsuitable for road trips of any significant distance.

Don't get me wrong the car is phenomenal. But unfortunately tesla seems to be NOT a keeper. More of a get one every few years, which honestly is how I roll anyway, and most lux car buyers do.
But this is something I have been thinking of anyway. I need the latest tech. It's just unfortunate to be forced I to it like this.

I feel bad for the 3 and Y owners as those are cheaper cars and I would guess more of this buyers are keepers and they will be sad..

The good thing is most people out there, including me j til recently, are clueless about these things and won't know this minutia so I think resale value will hold for the most part.

So...
Any help joining this suit? Or class actions don't need to be joined?
Or anyone knowing more info on it?

It’s a class action suit. If you’re impacted, you are included.

I don’t recall 75 batteries being impacted though. But I may be wrong as I have not kept up with the thread much since I sold my P85D.

I can, with absolute certainty, tell you my car is for sure throttled.

Never goes beyond 86kw.
Cold, hot, prewar Ed or not, soc low, med etc. Doesn't go above.
Empty chargers. Full chargers. At least 5 locations charged at recently. V2 and v3.

I can, with absolute certainty, tell you my car is for sure throttled.
Never goes beyond 86kw.

1) Throttle for Batteries based on "85" cells/chemistry - combination of max voltage limitation and negatively parallel transitioned charge rate graph since 2019.16.x and later.

2) Throttle for Batteries based on "90" cells/chemistry - after a fixed amount of DC charged energy (SuC or CHAdeMO) the max current when Supercharging is limited, yet the charge rate graph below this limitation is similar to not throttled batteries.

For the latter one a number of owners reported the "xmas" update 2020.48.x lifted the max current limit thus restoring their charge rates.

AFAIK all facelifted Model S with software limited 60/70 or 75 battery and all Model X with 75 battery used the same advanced cell chemistry as the 90 and later the 100 batteries and are prone to the throttling of max SuC current described under 2) and therefore could benefit from installing 2020.48.x.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
1) Throttle for Batteries based on "85" cells/chemistry - combination of max voltage limitation and negatively parallel transitioned charge rate graph since 2019.16.x and later.

2) Throttle for Batteries based on "90" cells/chemistry - after a fixed amount of DC charged energy (SuC or CHAdeMO) the max current when Supercharging is limited, yet the charge rate graph below this limitation is similar to not throttled batteries.

For the latter one a number of owners reported the "xmas" update 2020.48.x lifted the max current limit thus restoring their charge rates.

AFAIK all facelifted Model S with software limited 60/70 or 75 battery and all Model X with 75 battery used the same advanced cell chemistry as the 90 and later the 100 batteries and are prone to the throttling of max SuC current described under 2) and therefore could benefit from installing 2020.48.x.

My software is 2020.48.12 and I'm still throttled...

My software is 2020.48.12 and I'm still throttled...

While myself driving a Model S 85 I am not updating for some time, thus I am more focused to find out whether there are benefits or even more issues in regard of my old car. Nevertheless, you will probably find more answers which subversion successfully lifted charging limitations in other threads, a short search seems to indicate, that more drivers noticed their charge speed change not with 2020.48.12 but with 2020.48.26, according to Teslafi 2020.48.30 was distributed now to most of the reporting cars with 2020.48.35.5 now as the newest version being distributed. BR Oaito.

what's the business model motivation for throttling? if it takes longer for cars to charge, it'll tie up their superchargers and the long waits will discourage some people from adopting.
It's not a "business model" decision as far as wanting cars to be at the stations longer. That was not the intention. Reduced charging rates have been because of two reasons:

1. On some particular battery chemistries, Tesla found that from a lot of high power charging, it was causing excessive battery capacity degradation. So they were trying to prevent that. They thought that was helpful, but a lot of people don't see it that way.

2. There were a couple of instances of spontaneous battery fires in China, and from looking into that, Tesla felt that capping the Supercharging speed would also be helpful to prevent that. Some might see that as "safety", but many view that as Tesla wanting to avoid warranty issues and bad publicity.

The business model is tesla saving money by not replacing batteries under warranty.

By them throttling your charging rates the batteries don't degrade as fast. Hopefully getting you past the 100k battery warranty and tesla saving 15-20k not replacing your battery.

It's akin to a another car company realizing that the acceleration is too fast and it causes transmissions to burn out and them replacing it under warranty. So when you bring in a car for an oil change they change the software to decrease your acceleration say from 4s to 5s without telling you so they don't have to pay to replace your transmission.

I DO agree it has the side effect of filling up superchargers. But obviously they made the decision that the side effect is worth it for them to save money.

I have noticed this too! I thought it was my local supercharger that I frequent that was the issue.

Who is running this lawsuit? What lawfirm? I would like to follow them for updates.

From researching there are two lawfirms in California. I've contacted both. Got a reply from one. They did say I MIGHT be able to join. We shall see.

I'd recommend doing same.
Google it.
Contact them and let us know.

Funny thing is I don't know what resolution I'd be happy with. I LOVE tesla and my car. And honestly I'm gonna get rid of it either way pretty soon. And there is nothing else out there besides a new tesla that would satisfy me. I guess if I get a few bucks it won't hurt and HOPEFULLY make tesla admit fault and issue a warning to all new buyers. I feel that if I knew about it clearly I wouldn't be as upset.