Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Waterville, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, I was picking up some stuff from Hannaford earlier this evening and saw a couple of cars there. Good to see it's seeing some real use, and not just people getting their Supercharger counts up. ;) I hope they get those lights working soon.
I think that Waterville will be preferred stop over Augusta in that there are several useful stores and eateries very close by. Unless one is willing to walk up and down those hilly drives, Augusta mainly offers Kohl's, Dick's, TJ Maxx, and Home Depot, none of which are very useful on a road trip. I drive between Aroostook and MA at least once a month and Waterville will be my middle stop. We'll see if I feel differently when Newport and Bangor open. Brewer is too far off 95 really for a County trip and then there too, unless I want a sit-down meal at Ruby Tuesdays, there isn't much that's close.

With all the new Superchargers opening along 95 in Maine, (Falmouth, Wells, Newport, Bangor), one really won't even have to plan stops anymore, at least not anymore than one plans stops in an ICE ride.

Reactions: jlv1 and Tdreamer
My wife was getting groceries at Hannaford and told me with an exclamation point that there were 4 Teslas charging simultaneously today.

INATM: Maybe people heading back after Indypeeps holiday week.
MrsINATM: Or maybe it's Colby's parents weekend.
INATM Googles...
INATM: Yes, it is...
MrsINATM: Nailed it!
I was there yesterday (Saturday) around 11 AM, and there were two others besides me for a little while. Looks like 4 stalls are still dark. I didn't try charging at any of them.

Reactions: Tdreamer
I think that Waterville will be preferred stop over Augusta in that there are several useful stores and eateries very close by. Unless one is willing to walk up and down those hilly drives, Augusta mainly offers Kohl's, Dick's, TJ Maxx, and Home Depot, none of which are very useful on a road trip. I drive between Aroostook and MA at least once a month and Waterville will be my middle stop. We'll see if I feel differently when Newport and Bangor open. Brewer is too far off 95 really for a County trip and then there too, unless I want a sit-down meal at Ruby Tuesdays, there isn't much that's close.

With all the new Superchargers opening along 95 in Maine, (Falmouth, Wells, Newport, Bangor), one really won't even have to plan stops anymore, at least not anymore than one plans stops in an ICE ride.

Well, the Augusta location is actually close to two restaurants (Red Robin, and a Mexican (El Agave)) with some others walkable. But not anything both close and fast.
If you could order ahead for takeout at El Agave, probably the best.
And it's v2.

Waterville is v3 and has the Hannaford, a Subway in the main plaza lot, plus the gas station convenience store close. Then walkable across the crosswalk is the most popular Chinese in Waterville (Ming Lee) and with a bit more walk, a Five Guys.
If you prefer to drive to pick up and then drive to the chargers and eat in the car, there's a bunch of other chains nearby.

But plenty of options in either case if you order ahead and pick up before charging.

Waterville's other advantage is that it should be an easier on-off, especially if you're heading north. Southbound has two more lights to deal with.
In Augusta you have to drive to the top end of the mall.

Reactions: Farmer
I'm surprised Waterville didn't get included in the broader NACS set available to Ford, et al. It's a V3, 250KW, and I've never seen more than 3 stalls in use ever, including my car charging.
Augusta will be getting a NEVI funded v4 supercharger sometime soon - that will address that hole. That could be the reason why Waterville wasn't done. It could also be Waterville's time just hasn't come yet. We'll see.

Augusta will be getting a NEVI funded v4 supercharger sometime soon - that will address that hole. That could be the reason why Waterville wasn't done. It could also be Waterville's time just hasn't come yet. We'll see.

My wife has seen 6 out of 12 at peak at Waterville.

Also to note that the total eclipse is on April 8th and for anybody who's heading up US-201 Waterville is the last V3. Jackman area hotels are already sold out so US-201 should be busy, which is why there's probably promotion of having people drive all the way up to Houlton.

So if they wait until after the eclipse on April 8th, then Rockland NEVI work should be over, weather should be less likely to be cold (although it's already early Spring, it seems), and they'd have a window between ski season and the summer tourist season to get the updates done.

Augusta NEVI will be coming, plus ElectrifyAmerica will install in Waterville as well.

Bethel is a ski area (Sunday River), is only 6 stalls, and can be busy at times, and there's no CCS alternative in that area. South there's North Windham, east is Farmington, and west is a couple of crappy single CCS in Gorham. Bridgton and Rumford NEVIs were recently awarded, and then May there should be a Rangeley award, so within the next 12 to 18 months Bethel should be less of a potential NACS choke point.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnny Vector
Waterville is now showing as NACS on the findus map. In time for Mach-Eclipse drivers.
Bethel is now the only V3 in Maine that's not NACS.

The percentage of F-150 Lightning and Mach-E drivers having an adapter by April 8th will probably still be very low.

Bethel is close enough to have a curse of the White Mountains (perhaps from Chief Chocorua) afflicting CCS1 and CHAdeMO vehicles. It may be the most underserved area east of the Mississippi for non-Tesla fast-charging.

Reactions: kayak1
The percentage of F-150 Lightning and Mach-E drivers having an adapter by April 8th will probably still be very low.

Bethel is close enough to have a curse of the White Mountains (perhaps from Chief Chocorua) afflicting CCS1 and CHAdeMO vehicles. It may be the most underserved area east of the Mississippi for non-Tesla fast-charging.

While numbers would be low, Waterville could be useful for any Ford owners with the adapter. West Gardiner has a couple of high-power CCS, but Farmington, Fairfield, Skowhegan and Jackman are all pairs of 62kW ChargePoint. (Fairfield can theoretically run higher for lonely 800V vehicles).

While numbers would be low, Waterville could be useful for any Ford owners with the adapter. West Gardiner has a couple of high-power CCS, but Farmington, Fairfield, Skowhegan and Jackman are all pairs of 62kW ChargePoint. (Fairfield can theoretically run higher for lonely 800V vehicles).
Farmington Supercharger is a published, NACS site too.

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
Farmington Supercharger is a published, NACS site too.

Oh duh thanks. (And the good thing about Farmington is that there's parking spaces either side of the 8 stalls, so Detroits and Germans should often be able to park offset and not take up 2 spots. Lightnings may even be able to park parallel at left end (facing) and only take up 1 spot.

Waterville's layout means that there's 1 pull-in stall and an end stall with a parking space next to it where Detroits and Germans can charge without taking up an extra charging stall.
The lot is normally pretty empty so not a problem to block some non-charging spaces.