Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Superchargers are overwhelmed with Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
Was at fountain valley today...only needed 6% additional charge to get home, was 5th in line when I showed up and waited for about 30 min...this supercharger was bad before model 3 and now is just horrible.

What is happening right now is exactly what so many of use predicted. Once the Model 3 is out, Superchargers will be crowded. Having to wait at a Supercharger was extremely rate for the first 4 years I had my Tesla. Now it's a common thing. :-/

Yeah even before the plauge(model 3) it was fine...what’s worse is I waited 30 min for a <10 min charge for a total 40 mins.
What is happening right now is exactly what so many of use predicted. Once the Model 3 is out, Superchargers will be crowded. Having to wait at a Supercharger was extremely rate for the first 4 years I had my Tesla. Now it's a common thing. :-/

Yeah even before the plauge(model 3) it was fine...what’s worse is I waited 30 min for a <10 min charge for a total 40 mins.

plauge? The problem is not the amount of Model 3 or Y when it comes out. The problem is Tesla needs to keep up with the amount of vehicles sold in certain areas. So please don't use derogatory terms against other Tesla owners.

As a potential solution for these types of situations, I would love to have a couple of select supercharger stalls limited to 15 minutes. That could result in a rapid turnover at just these stalls for people who just need to add 30-50 miles.

As a potential solution for these types of situations, I would love to have a couple of select supercharger stalls limited to 15 minutes. That could result in a rapid turnover at just these stalls for people who just need to add 30-50 miles.

How about sending a notification to every owner who is charging at a location when all stalls are in use. It could be a friendly reminder that the site is full and new people arriving are most likely having to wait.

"The Supercharger site is full and someone is likely waiting to get a charge to make it home. Please consider moving your car!"

How about sending a notification to every owner who is charging at a location when all stalls are in use. It could be a friendly reminder that the site is full and new people arriving are most likely having to wait.

"The Supercharger site is full and someone is likely waiting to get a charge to make it home. Please consider moving your car!"
I disagree, because most people here at FV are in their cars waiting, or at the Starbucks, and have waited themselves to get their stall, so they are all well-aware. Any message to them is blatantly obvious. What someone may not know, is that there may be somebody waiting who only needs a 5 minute charge, while others need 40 minutes. If I needed to charge to >90%, and new someone needed to slip in for just a few joules, I will gladly step aside and resume after.

Anyway, the real solution is far more chargers. FV is done. The city said this is all they'll get at this location. And yes, this is because of the massive deluge of Model 3's. I wound certainly avoid calling them a plague though. I would call that progress!

And yes, this is because of the massive deluge of Model 3's. I wound certainly avoid calling them a plague though. I would call that progress!

I consider it the plague that could be detrimental to Tesla’s growth. Right now as teslas popularity is gaining traction, the continued growth is all about the user experience of getting from point a to b. With the bottelnecks we are experiencing it could limit the growth. IMHO Tesla should enforce the 40 mins max at many of the locations; especially FV. By doing so it would help out the rest of us and limit the abuse from locals charging >80% for the free juice.

I consider it the plague that could be detrimental to Tesla’s growth. Right now as teslas popularity is gaining traction, the continued growth is all about the user experience of getting from point a to b. With the bottelnecks we are experiencing it could limit the growth. IMHO Tesla should enforce the 40 mins max at many of the locations; especially FV. By doing so it would help out the rest of us and limit the abuse from locals charging >80% for the free juice.
By pricing the Supercharging at or above the off-peak rates of PG&E, SCE and SDGE, use of the Superchargers by Model 3 owners is somewhat unattractive. Most M3s do not have free Supercharging.

By pricing the Supercharging at or above the off-peak rates of PG&E, SCE and SDGE, use of the Superchargers by Model 3 owners is somewhat unattractive. Most M3s do not have free Supercharging.

Yes, but even IF Tesla did this - we would still have tons of Model S and X local owners at the superchargers. It's currently like that every day at the Santa Ana, CA superchargers. While I agree, many owners I seen at superchargers are charging above 80%. So either they don't know or they are being irresponsible to others. But I guess there will always be those rude or hypocritical users that call others the "plague" which based upon their profile also drives a Model S - how convenient.

Last edited:
While I agree, many owners I seen at superchargers are charging above 80%.
It's a bit of a vicious cycle. Assume you mainly only use superchargers to charge your car. And you go once or twice a week. As soon as you start having to wait a significant amount of time in a queue before you even start charging, then you are "incentivized" to charge up as much as possible (i.e. closer to 100%) because it will mean you can go longer or drive further before you need to wait in the line again. Of course, once this behavior starts it increases both the likelihood and duration of line waiting. Which will in turn tend to spread the same conclusion to others. etc.

"Tragedy of the Commons" problems are nothing new.

Reactions: brkaus
Yes, but even IF Tesla did this - we would still have tons of Model S and X local owners at the superchargers. It's currently like that every day at the Santa Ana, CA superchargers. While I agree, many owners I seen at superchargers are charging above 80%. So either they don't know or they are being irresponsible to others. But I guess there will always be those rude or hypocritical users that call others the "plague" which based upon their profile also drives a Model S - how convenient.

I’m in agreement with the fact tesla needs to bring more online to keep up with the demand.
I’m sorry that you have taken me calling a mass market car the plauge as derogatory term towards those who have model 3s (possibly you but I’m not assuming anything) as that’s not my intention. I’m merely stating the amount of model 3s hitting Superchargers could affect the overall experience of ALL tesla owners and could have a negative affect on the adoption of EVs.

I’m in agreement with the fact tesla needs to bring more online to keep up with the demand.
I’m sorry that you have taken me calling a mass market car the plauge as derogatory term towards those who have model 3s (possibly you but I’m not assuming anything) as that’s not my intention. I’m merely stating the amount of model 3s hitting Superchargers could affect the overall experience of ALL tesla owners and could have a negative affect on the adoption of EVs.

Maybe use terms like mass adoption of model 3 rather than plague. It has very negative meanings behind it:
Plague (disease) - Wikipedia

I appreciate your comment and agree it will have a negative impact with new Tesla owners. But that problem is not just Model 3 and I would even venture to bet in certain areas Model S and X owners abuse this more (like Santa Ana, CA & Fountain Valley, CA). This will be even more apparent when free super charging runs out for those which had it for a limited time.

If we ever meetup in LA or OC ask for b0n3z if you see a white on white performance. The first beer is on me.

On my last trip to Lone Pine, CA, I actually was excited to see a model 3 at the SC, and I specifically plugged in next to them to pair and get the lower initial 20-30 KW. I walked back to a restaurant, knowing that my car would charge slow enough to enjoy my meal. Sorry, just looking for some silver lining here. I know most of metropolitan CA is swarming with Teslas.;)

[checking locations] LA, Orange County, Brea, etc. Mmm hmm
I’m merely stating the amount of model 3s hitting Superchargers could affect the overall experience of ALL tesla owners
Before using the word "all", perhaps keep in mind that several places in California have capacity problems that are not the rest of the world. That has been bugging me about the title of this thread too.

[checking locations] LA, Orange County, Brea, etc. Mmm hmm

Before using the word "all", perhaps keep in mind that several places in California have capacity problems that are not the rest of the world. That has been bugging me about the title of this thread too.

You bring up a very good point and I would agree with you. This is only in certain counties and possibly limited to even certain cities where a neighboring city may not have the same issue given the amount of Tesla vehicles.

(BTW - Brea is a city within Orange County. However, I'm sure you might be able to include San Diego County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County or even certain counties near San Francisco.)

As a former S owner, who is now part of a two-Model-3 couple ... that charges at home except on road trips, I’m not a big fan of the plague appellation, either.

Roadster I, S, and X we’re all targeted towards moving the ICE world to 3, Y, and beyond.

Now, for those long-promised additional chargers at Lone Pine and the coming-soon Supercharger station in Bishop ...