Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Superchargers Gen 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohaq

Model S #P9,326
Apr 20, 2012
Michigan
New superchargers are being installed, see below link.
2013 Tesla Model S: Supercharged

Turned out, they were installing two new superchargers to bring the total to four. One electrician described them as "gen 2" chargers and, in fact, the towers were taller. Also, the electrician told me that if two Teslas charged at the same time, the second one to arrive would do so at a slower rate. When the first one left, the slower rate would continue, unless the owner disconnected and then began charging again.

slower rate thing seems odd. Not how it should be set up.
It might be 120kwh and allow 2 cars to charge at same time so first one would charge at 80kwh-90kwh and the second one would charge at 30kwh-40 kwh. I guess this would only occur if all other chargers where in use.

From the picture I don't see how 2 cars would charge. Don't see extra parking nor do I see 2 cables.

It might be 120kwh and allow 2 cars to charge at same time so first one would charge at 80kwh-90kwh and the second one would charge at 30kwh-40 kwh. I guess this would only occur if all other chargers where in use.

From the picture I don't see how 2 cars would charge. Don't see extra parking nor do I see 2 cables.

But the second should jump to the full potential when the first is below 80-90kWh Ideally. In other superchargers(at least Folsom) the inverters are off on the side so each 'power pump' is connected to a stack of inverters. two 'pumps' share 1 stack of inverters

those strip malls (as seen in the article picture) are so fugly. yuck

I was at Barstow last week. The two new ones still had yellow caution tape but they were white, and similar to the new ones vs. the old ones like at Gilroy. I believe they all have 12 10kW chargers and its software limiting them to 90 kW (see Elon's comments in the Norway video).

But the second should jump to the full potential when the first is below 80-90kWh Ideally. In other superchargers(at least Folsom) the inverters are off on the side so each 'power pump' is connected to a stack of inverters. two 'pumps' share 1 stack of inverters
It should in a perfect world, but I believe that others have reported the same info as what the tech reported - once you start charging at a restricted rate, you have to unplug-replug to get the maximum charge rate.

It seems that the superchargers aren't yet able to re-allocate 10kW charge-units once you've started charging.