TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Superchargers Gen 2

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ohaq, Apr 19, 2013.

1. ohaq

ohaq Model S #P9,326

New superchargers are being installed, see below link.
    2013 Tesla Model S: Supercharged

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

They also look red, unless that's some temporary protective coating. Wonder what the stickers will say on the new ones, 120kw?

3. Zextraterrestrial

slower rate thing seems odd. Not how it should be set up.

4. ohaq

ohaq Model S #P9,326

It might be 120kwh and allow 2 cars to charge at same time so first one would charge at 80kwh-90kwh and the second one would charge at 30kwh-40 kwh. I guess this would only occur if all other chargers where in use.

From the picture I don't see how 2 cars would charge. Don't see extra parking nor do I see 2 cables.

5. Zextraterrestrial

But the second should jump to the full potential when the first is below 80-90kWh Ideally. In other superchargers(at least Folsom) the inverters are off on the side so each 'power pump' is connected to a stack of inverters. two 'pumps' share 1 stack of inverters

those strip malls (as seen in the article picture) are so fugly. yuck

6. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I think that's just the skeleton. And I suspect this is the new style with the longer cord. Since the charger isn't in this thing, it visual difference probably has nothing to do with 90 vs 120.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

It likely doesn't work that way--the electrician was probably just misinformed, or the author heard it wrong.

8. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I was at Barstow last week. The two new ones still had yellow caution tape but they were white, and similar to the new ones vs. the old ones like at Gilroy. I believe they all have 12 10kW chargers and its software limiting them to 90 kW (see Elon's comments in the Norway video).

9. drees

drees Active Member

It should in a perfect world, but I believe that others have reported the same info as what the tech reported - once you start charging at a restricted rate, you have to unplug-replug to get the maximum charge rate.

It seems that the superchargers aren't yet able to re-allocate 10kW charge-units once you've started charging.