Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Superchargers Springfield Illinois

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They updated their maps. Looks like Paducah is now 2016 and Mt Vernon is back in 2016. Effingham is still down for this year, but Champaign is gone completely.

I suspect 2016 is just a catch-all for anyone who has submitted the form through the web site. The last time I heard from the Supercharger team, they said they would look into Paducah but weren't planning on it. I imagine that is what happened for 2014, as well -- it had a good number of sites listed that just went "poof".

The good news is that with the impending delivery of CHAdeMO adapters, I can bridge myself to Florida this year. Clarksville, TN is 230 miles from me, with a Nissan dealership there (and some stuff to do for the ~2 hours it'll take to charge). That should, in turn, get me over to the Supercharger network. Tennessee is fairly rich with CHAdeMO because of the Nissan plant there, with Cracker Barrel and Nissan dealerships filling in a bunch of holes for me. We're going in June - I plan on seeing whether we can make it work with the Model S. With a family of 6, cargo space for vacations is still the main issue - but at least we have the option.

I don't understand why they would put superchargers there since they have them in Bloomington and in St. Louis

Just the same reason I get why Milwaukee hasn't gotten a set yet as much as I would love to have one in my back yard.

St. Charles (the "St. Louis" site, which is out of the way of anyone not traveling west on I-70 after coming south on I-55) still doesn't exist yet (although another month or so), and some people from the St. Louis area can barely make it to Normal when the winds are roaring across the plains in winter. Our very own Liz G has her own story of range anxiety on a winter's drive.

It also helps provide resiliency in the system. I like that I can choose which superchargers to visit -- if I trust lower SOC's, I can stop and fuel up faster at multiple short stops vs. taking longer stops to top up more.

I dont know where to post this info but yesterday I left Combia MO traveling to Springfield IL on US55 and US54. When I reached Louisiana MO where US54 crosses the Mississippi I found that MDOT has the bridge closed from 6am to 6pm M-TH. I had to take Hwy 790 34 miles north to Hannibal to cross and then back on I72 to the Supercharger at Springfield IL. The trip was supposed to be 178 miles and turned into 227 miles with the unplanned detour. I made it with 37 miles to spare after a little creative "drafting" on I72. Travelers beware until Friday..

Last edited by a moderator:
yesterday I left Combia MO traveling to Springfield IL on US55 and US54. When I reached Louisiana MO where US54 crosses the Mississippi I found that MDOT has the bridge closed from 6am to 6pm M-TH.

Interesting... Google Maps seems to be aware of this closure, as I was unable to modify a route to cross that bridge. Did the Nav try to route you over the bridge?

Yes the Nav routed me through Louisiana MO... That is why I was somewhat surprised at the Road Closed ahead sign. I even looked on Google maps on my phone and it too showed the route as available.
Planning my return tomorrow it seems that now Google thinks it is closed but I just checked MDOT and their web site says the work was completed early and the bridge is now open...
Go figure...
I will try it tomorrow I guess...

This is my review of this SpC location based on our recent trip:

Location - Not far off the freeway (I-72), in the Scheels parking lot.

Charging rate - Excellent! We charged at stall 4B and it maintained above 100kW most of the time until the battery SOC filled up.

Facilities - We had dinner at the Engrained Brewing Company, which has pretty good food and drink selections (bathrooms are decently clean). You'd have to walk across roads that have no designated pedestrian passage ways, though. We didn't go to Scheels, but it looks like a pretty good outdoor sporting goods store.