Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharging - SC05 - Transfer supercharging workaround?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This didn't work for me on a 2018 S...Gave a buddy my account and it ended up being flagged. I think you can get away with it if it's a 2016 and older. They changed the FUSC verbiage in 2017.
I believe this is correct. I just had a chat exchange with Tesla Support and confirmed that both supercharging and the premium connectivity will transfer over to a new owner. Also that the policy changed in 2017 or so as @Qbenjamin mentions.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Tesla chat person said that the Superchargers charge at a higher rate then the home chargers and will shorten the life of the batteries. I didn't ask for any more details because of the fact that the closest supercharger is over an hour away, I knew I would be installing the Tesla home charger in the garage. My question to them at the time was regarding supercharging while on a trip, and she said that was fine, but that is when she said if I were to supercharge all the time this could be an issue. That is all I know. Was she blowing smoke, can't say.

You get one supercharging session before it ends up charging you. Make sure and see if you’re able to supercharge more than once. If you are than it will keep it, unless they catch on when you get it serviced.
Otherwise the only other way is if the original owner doesn’t care if he leave his account with your Tesla on it. However once you get it serviced, unless they added you as another driver it will get canceled. If they add you as another driver you can try and say it your “X” car that he bought for you and decided to put it in your name for insurance purposes. For example a parent buys their kid a car but after awhile they don’t want to be liable if they get into an accident etc. If done with a friend or relative they can’t argue this cause technically you could have them show up or call to verify their personal information and they cannot say it’s not true. I also believe they would have to have a credit card on file for idle fees. That’s what the earlier comment doesn’t take into account. Older ones (not sure your manufacture date) get it for free and will not need a card on file. Other option is if they remove the CC you put yours in instead. I believe you said you got this from a dealer so most likely they might not be seeing it yet cause it will always lose it once they sell it only though. If the person bought it and has a dealers license and kept it limbo than it would also work only for ones that have FUSC.

• Informative
Bought it from a Jeep dealer. I am the 3rd owner and have had it worked on 3 times at the local Tesla shop and have never lost either option. Also the shop said the free super charging and free connectivity is tied to the vin number on all cars and more than one service writer there and a gentleman in the Vegas shop when I was down there said I will never loose the free super charging and competitivity. It is an early 2016 and these will stay with the car even if I sold it in the future. Might have something to do with the fact that original owner paid just under $153,000.00 for it in 2016. Don't know

• Love
One more thing I created my own Tesla account and added the 2016 to my account and it has always shown the free super charging and connectivity from day one.
You bought it when? Cause you got lucky it won’t stay with it if a dealer gets it. If you got it before around Before 2020 around Oct or before in 2019 it would stay with it. Now it won’t but it will if you sell it to a private seller.

I bought it last July from a Jeep dealer and have had it in the tesla shop several times and they said I will never lose the free supercharging or connectivity because the original paid for it when they bought the car for $153,000.00 in 2016. Also the free supercharging and connectivity is tied to the vin number nothing else. I take the word of the experts on this subject and so far they are correct. Haven't used the supercharging much but so far it has cost me nothing. Also Tesla told me that if I ever sell it to these options will stay with the vin number.

• Love
I bought it last July from a Jeep dealer and have had it in the tesla shop several times and they said I will never lose the free supercharging or connectivity because the original paid for it when they bought the car for $153,000.00 in 2016. Also the free supercharging and connectivity is tied to the vin number nothing else. I take the word of the experts on this subject and so far they are correct. Haven't used the supercharging much but so far it has cost me nothing. Also Tesla told me that if I ever sell it to these options will stay with the vin number.

this is correct UNLESS you sell it to tesla, then charging/data will no longer transfer

You bought it when? Cause you got lucky it won’t stay with it if a dealer gets it. If you got it before around Before 2020 around Oct or before in 2019 it would stay with it. Now it won’t but it will if you sell it to a private seller.
@Mark J has a 2016. Free supercharging was a part of the car’s configuration in 2016, same as listing air conditioning or a stereo. Doesn’t matter if he got it from a dealer. The only way a 2016 can lose its free supercharging is if Tesla re-owns the car at some point. Then during the time Tesla owns the car, they can change anything they want in the configuration.

Many S/X sold by Tesla after early 2017 have free supercharging, but only for the original owner. This thread is about whether one can get around that restriction for those cars.

What about this scenario?

2019 MX Raven standard range (I know, it's sort of a unicorn - not necessarily in a good way)
My daughter is currently leasing the car. She will buy it at lease end (very favorable buyout) and I will buy it from her (she's got an order pending on a new MX). In order to keep the free supercharging and give me access to the app, we plan to add me as a family member to her account. Neither of us is concerned about privacy issues or the credit card. Other than supercharging, what kinds of charges would be applied to the credit card on file?

I may be getting Powerwalls in the near future. If so, I would probably just set up a separate account because she is building a house that will also have Powerwalls.

Do you see any complications with the above?

2019 MX Raven standard range (I know, it's sort of a unicorn - not necessarily in a good way)
My daughter is currently leasing the car. She will buy it at lease end (very favorable buyout) and I will buy it from her (she's got an order pending on a new MX). In order to keep the free supercharging and give me access to the app, we plan to add me as a family member to her account. Neither of us is concerned about privacy issues or the credit card. Other than supercharging, what kinds of charges would be applied to the credit card on file?

I may be getting Powerwalls in the near future. If so, I would probably just set up a separate account because she is building a house that will also have Powerwalls.

since it's a 19, any change in vehicle ownership is likely going to wipe the free charging. if your daughter is ok with keeping the car in her name AND adding you as a family member you should be ok. but, tesla could easily see the vehicle transfer (title) and kill it. good luck!

• Informative

That's a valid way of keeping it in the family. There won't be any charges to the credit card unless there are Idle fees. If you set up your own account, the Powerwalls will be visible there and you'll still have access to the vehicle via your daughter's account, as long as she adds you as a driver.

I think that would work regarding the free supercharging. The complication I see is that you both want to be seeing your Powerwall information and your car information, and it is a bit inconvenient to be logging in and out of Tesla accounts. We inadvertently ended up with our solar/Powerwalls on one account and our cars on a different Tesla account. So we have granted authorized access for the cars to the Solar/Powerwall account, and that is the one we actively use each day for the cars too. The authorized account can do everything that the owner account can do except purchase upgrades for the car. BTW my name is on both Tesla accounts… nothing in their process seems to exclude multiple accounts. All that is needed is multiple emails.

So for your specific situation, I would recommend to keep your daughter’s model X on the current account, but that you each start new accounts for your Powerwalls, and then each of your new accounts could be authorized to use/see the existing model X. I suppose she could just keep using the one single account for everything, and my only real advice is for you to proceed with your plan to open a new account… and planning to operate the car from it as an authorized user.

I think that would work regarding the free supercharging. The complication I see is that you both want to be seeing your Powerwall information and your car information, and it is a bit inconvenient to be logging in and out of Tesla accounts. We inadvertently ended up with our solar/Powerwalls on one account and our cars on a different Tesla account. So we have granted authorized access for the cars to the Solar/Powerwall account, and that is the one we actively use each day for the cars too. The authorized account can do everything that the owner account can do except purchase upgrades for the car. BTW my name is on both Tesla accounts… nothing in their process seems to exclude multiple accounts. All that is needed is multiple emails.

So for your specific situation, I would recommend to keep your daughter’s model X on the current account, but that you each start new accounts for your Powerwalls, and then each of your new accounts could be authorized to use/see the existing model X. I suppose she could just keep using the one single account for everything, and my only real advice is for you to proceed with your plan to open a new account… and planning to operate the car from it as an authorized user.
The daughter's Powerwalls would show on her account and the father's Powerwalls would show on his. The daughter's X would also show on the father's account after she added him as a driver. Neither would see the other's Powerwalls unless they made a specific request to Tesla.

There is some difference in terminology here. I had assumed @njmurvin was meaning he would get his name on her actual account. When @MorrisonHiker says add him as a driver, I assume that is referring to giving him authorized access via his own Tesla account. I’m simply saying he should do both - his name ends up on her account AND his account is given authorized access.

Neither would see the other's Powerwalls unless they made a specific request to Tesla
I’m not aware of anyway to share Powerwall info with another account. Are you saying that is possible?

I’m not aware of anyway to share Powerwall info with another account. Are you saying that is possible?
Yes. In the past, you could contact Tesla directly to have cars or energy products show on multiple accounts. Tesla added the ability to their website to easily share cars but never added that same functionality for energy products. It kind of makes sense since you aren't able to loan your energy products to someone. You need to contact Tesla and they can make the change so that energy products show on multiple accounts.

For the recent discussion above, the father would not have to worry about seeing his daughter's Powerwalls since they would only be on her account by default. Likewise, his Powerwalls will only be on his account by default. His account would only have the X once his daughter shared it with him by adding him as a driver on the website.

For cars, you can still contact Tesla to have the accounts linked but probably 99% of people can get by with just adding the second driver themselves via the website. When the"add a driver" functionality was first added, it incorrectly gave the new driver the ability to purchase upgrades and omitted the ability to use the Service option. Now Tesla has corrected it to not allow Upgrades but to allow Service. With Tesla-linked accounts, both accounts have all permissions. Since the father/daughter scenario listed above is still "in the family", is would be easiest to just add the father as as new driver for the X and no call to Tesla is necessary.

I would avoid contacting Tesla when you're trying to keep a feature they're actively trying to kill lol
That’s my objective. Does Tesla have a connection with California DMV to be alerted of title changes? That sounds a bit Orwellian. If that’s true, then this discussion may be moot. While I have no problem leaving the car registered with Tesla in my daughter’s name, DMV registration is a different matter entirely.

For the record, neither of us cares to have access to the other’s PW info.

That’s my objective. Does Tesla have a connection with California DMV to be alerted of title changes? That sounds a bit Orwellian. If that’s true, then this discussion may be moot. While I have no problem leaving the car registered with Tesla in my daughter’s name, DMV registration is a different matter entirely.

For the record, neither of us cares to have access to the other’s PW info.

Car makers don't get DMV title transfer notices since it doesn't concern them. I recently had to move the X from the company name into my name - it doesn't concern Tesla and if the DMV does release that information, that's going to be a major privacy issue and I'm sure someone will go after the state.

Reactions: B4TUR