Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharging - SC05 - Transfer supercharging workaround?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

So I was just trying to buy a Tesla from someone and they let me know that their car is currently optioned with "SC05" option code. For those of you who are not aware, SC05 basically means "Free unlimited supercharging - but only for first owner" aka non-transferable supercharing.

I was snooping around Tesla's account page and noticed that under "SETTINGS", you are able to change both your name and email address for the account. So basically you can change name, address, email etc. on the account you have the car registered.

I was wondering has anyone with "SC05" ever tried to sell their car but instead of "transferring" ownership on the tesla app/website, just gone ahead and changed name and email address on the account? In theory, this would keep the car registered on the same account but you are just changing contact details. So technically the "transfer" never occurs. I am wondering if this is a workaround to keep the supercharging on the car.

Has anyone tried this?

ezgif.com-gif-maker.png

I bought a 2016 Model X P90D 4 weeks ago from a dealer in another city and it had free supercharging and connectivity. Previous owner paid over $150,000.00 for it in 2016, crazy, and I have the original window sticker. I was worried about keeping the free supercharging when I registered it in my name at the state and also when I added it to my Tesla account. Well after adding it to my Tesla account, a few days later it says free supercharging! Sweet! I charge at home because the closest supercharger is over an hour away and I will only use the supercharging if I go on a trip, so I don't have a need for one for the local driving I do. Besides if you charge at a supercharger all the time, it is hard on the batteries. Very familiar with lithium batteries because I installed 960W of solar panels and 1005 W of lithium batteries on my 5th wheel and have learned a lot of how to get the most life out of the batteries. But I have charged it once at a different supercharger and on my Tesla account it shows that charging date and etc. and the cost is $00.00. Happy camper.

Tesla didn't specifically say frequent Fast DC charging is bad but it gives an ambiguous answer:

"Can I just use a local Supercharger and skip charging at home?
The best charging experience will always be to charge at home. Plug in when you get home and wake up to a full charge. Many utilities offer low cost electricity at night to incentivize charging at home."

If the battery is prematurely degraded, it's not a "best charging experience" at all.

Also:

"Does Supercharging affect my battery?
The peak-charging rate of the battery may decrease slightly after a large number of high-rate charging sessions, such as those at Superchargers..."

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Tesla chat person said that the Superchargers charge at a higher rate then the home chargers and will shorten the life of the batteries. I didn't ask for any more details because of the fact that the closest supercharger is over an hour away, I knew I would be installing the Tesla home charger in the garage. My question to them at the time was regarding supercharging while on a trip, and she said that was fine, but that is when she said if I were to supercharge all the time this could be an issue. That is all I know. Was she blowing smoke, can't say.

Any update on this? Im curious if updating the previous owners account details causes any problems with the new owner in the future? Also, this seems like an immeidtae way of taking ownership of a used Tesla you are purchasing private party, so is there any downside?
Most downside/risk is for the seller since their name, address, credit card information, email address, original purchase agreement, if they purchase the vehicle from Tesla and potentially other personal information would still be in the account. They have to share/give you their password, although they could change it beforehand. Plus if they have access to any other Tesla's in their account I wouldn't think they'd want to give away their account.

Also if the car itself has been programmed to open garage doors or included recent navigation history or other private info.

Plus other Tesla systems may have a record of the previous owners name or information and there may be confusion related to that.

I changed the name and e-mail account (my own account) about a year into purchase - no repercussions... I still have my free supercharging, and so on.. The Tesla account changeover isn't a transfer of ownership in their system, it's account management... If you buy the vehicle under a company, someone else's name can be in there and/or e-mail... and if someone else starts driving it, you can change that.. The owner is still the company, just a new driver.

I believe a number of people have used this method to get free supercharging to stay with the vehicle during sales for non-transferrable supercharging. Yes, there are documents that stay in there that someone else can see and other things (e.g. if you purchased solar/powerwalls or other vehicles) then you may not be able to do this...

Most downside/risk is for the seller since their name, address, credit card information, email address, original purchase agreement, if they purchase the vehicle from Tesla and potentially other personal information would still be in the account. They have to share/give you their password, although they could change it beforehand. Plus if they have access to any other Tesla's in their account I wouldn't think they'd want to give away their account.

Also if the car itself has been programmed to open garage doors or included recent navigation history or other private info.

Plus other Tesla systems may have a record of the previous owners name or information and there may be confusion related to that.
That is a good point. In this hypothetical situation, I am just assuming there is one Tesla vehicle in the account. As I look at my own Tesla account, I can see that full name, address, phone, email, password and payment method can all be updated. So again, hypothetically, if I wanted to give this Tesla to my brother or to a person the car was sold to, I would technically be able to update all that information and be locked out of the account (assuming they update the password). The only thing that might be visible would be the order history, since that would remain. Does that sound about right?

That is a good point. In this hypothetical situation, I am just assuming there is one Tesla vehicle in the account. As I look at my own Tesla account, I can see that full name, address, phone, email, password and payment method can all be updated. So again, hypothetically, if I wanted to give this Tesla to my brother or to a person the car was sold to, I would technically be able to update all that information and be locked out of the account (assuming they update the password). The only thing that might be visible would be the order history, since that would remain. Does that sound about right?
Yes, that is correct... Mainly, changing account information and giving someone else control works best if there's only 1 vehicle and no other Tesla products involved, well, unless those other things are part of the transaction :p

Hey everyone,

So I was just trying to buy a Tesla from someone and they let me know that their car is currently optioned with "SC05" option code. For those of you who are not aware, SC05 basically means "Free unlimited supercharging - but only for first owner" aka non-transferable supercharing.

I was snooping around Tesla's account page and noticed that under "SETTINGS", you are able to change both your name and email address for the account. So basically you can change name, address, email etc. on the account you have the car registered.

I was wondering has anyone with "SC05" ever tried to sell their car but instead of "transferring" ownership on the tesla app/website, just gone ahead and changed name and email address on the account? In theory, this would keep the car registered on the same account but you are just changing contact details. So technically the "transfer" never occurs. I am wondering if this is a workaround to keep the supercharging on the car.

Has anyone tried this?

View attachment 676250I confirmed with Tesla Support that my car is coded SC05 (that’s the only way to find the code is to ask them to look it up). He assured me that the free charging benefit is transferable. I asked him if he’s had this exact experience since I’ve read otherwise and he said definitely “yes.” He proceeded to instruct me: 1) log into your web account 2) go to “manage car” 3) then “remove car from account” 4) ***THIS IS THE IMPORTANT STEP*** when asked if you want to reassign the car, put in the name and email for the new owner i.e. his/ her email that’s used to log into their Tesla web account. They will either get an email to accept or promoted when they log in to accept. If you remove WITHOUT reassigning then the SC05 code will be reset/ removed i.e. Bye Bye Free Supercharging forever!!!

How can I find out if my car has a Sc05 code?
Look at posts 15 and 16 in this thread

Reactions: gaswalla