Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharging - SC05 - Transfer supercharging workaround?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car makers don't get DMV title transfer notices since it doesn't concern them. I recently had to move the X from the company name into my name - it doesn't concern Tesla and if the DMV does release that information, that's going to be a major privacy issue and I'm sure someone will go after the state.

all of that info is publicly available. we/they may not know who the owner was, but anybody can see that a registration event has occurred

Reactions: BanRay
all of that info is publicly available. we/they may not know who the owner was, but anybody can see that a registration event has occurred

True, but, that could be as simple as a name spelling correction, address change, removing of a secondary person on a title (which is technically what I did - removing the company name), or payoff/lien change. But, there's no identifying information without a complete pull/records request, which, I doubt they'll be granted/given for each and every Tesla registration event. So, there shouldn't be any worry about Tesla spying on registration changes.

True, but, that could be as simple as a name spelling correction, address change, removing of a secondary person on a title (which is technically what I did - removing the company name), or payoff/lien change. But, there's no identifying information without a complete pull/records request, which, I doubt they'll be granted/given for each and every Tesla registration event. So, there shouldn't be any worry about Tesla spying on registration changes.

IMO, the less you do, the better. Don't give Tesla any reason to remove any feature. So, what if you just corrected your name. Do you want to fight an uphill battle?

Car makers don't get DMV title transfer notices since it doesn't concern them. I recently had to move the X from the company name into my name - it doesn't concern Tesla and if the DMV does release that information, that's going to be a major privacy issue and I'm sure someone will go after the state.
So after you moved it to your name from company name, did it keep free supercharging? Was the car pre-2017?

If I buy a 2018 with free supercharging for life of that owner, and he added his new car to his account, he now has two on there. It is now more difficult for him to (change login and credit card details) abandon his account to me to keep supercharging I assume he had new one is also on here. Is he able to move his new one off to a new account easily and say it is a company car and should not have been on there?
Is it easy to move or will he have to send in proof of ownership again when transferring it?
I assume if his name is on old account with that old Tesla, the supercharging should still work for free unless Tesla checks with DMV, which some here say is unlikely. Other items that could flag this transfer is servicing the car.
Is there a set of guidelines you can recommend? Like add myself as a driver under his account. Like I’m his assistant maybe? Any other thoughts. Thank you.

Glad this thread is here. Picking up a 2019 Model S this week.

To clarify, is the move taking over original owners tesla account and change name/email/address/number and that's it or better to take over account, leave details alone and add authorized driver to my current tesla account?

As far as I am aware, Tesla only removes lifetime Supercharging if the vehicle was a trade-in at Tesla.
I believe that's true of the 2017 and prior models that had transferrable lifetime SC but the 2019 versions were limited to first owners only.

Anyone from prior posts have any new data points about if this workaround worked for them and what exactly they did?

Just browsed this thread.
Can anyone verify or refute:
SC01 is not eliminated when, e.g.,
original owner or auction sells ==> dealer sells ==> new individual owner ❓ ❓ ❓
or another way of asking, it is possible to get SC01 from a dealer, online dealer...?
(not just from private seller-owner)
thanks in advance. regards.

Just browsed this thread.
Can anyone verify or refute:
SC01 is not eliminated when, e.g.,
original owner or auction sells ==> dealer sells ==> new individual owner ❓ ❓ ❓
or another way of asking, it is possible to get SC01 from a dealer, online dealer...?
(not just from private seller-owner)
thanks in advance. regards.

Plenty of threads about this. What should happen vs what does happen don't always align.

I am planning to buy a 2018 model, and the owner has agreed to give me his account, and then I will change the password. Is it safe to change the name, address, email, and phone number in the account? I need to request a service.

Thanks in advance.

I am planning to buy a 2018 model, and the owner has agreed to give me his account, and then I will change the password. Is it safe to change the name, address, email, and phone number in the account? I need to request a service.
Thanks in advance.
I would say it is not safe to try and cheat Tesla out of something you clearly are not entitled to receive. You might be able to get away with it for a while. But you also might find yourself with a car with Supercharging suddenly disabled completely, and perhaps banned from getting your vehicle serviced. I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited: