Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supplies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I pick up my Tesla Tuesday. I was wondering if anyone had a list of supplies they keep in their car? Things like quick cleaning wipes. I have a dog that will travel in the car as well. Maybe there are something people bought that are helpful.

Thanks

Do you have third-row seats?

I don't think I have any special supplies in my car besides a backup inflatable booster seat for the third-row seats. Oh and a tire repair kit since there is no spare tire, along with the tire lock for my wheels.

However the frunk is a great place to store anything you decide to keep handy.

the frunk is great for keeping anything that's smelly/ muddy, since the compartment is externalised from the cabin of the car. none of the smell will go inside the car.

having a load of newspapers in the car would help soaking up any weird smells from the dogs - i'd recommend NOT to use air fresheners since the nose of the doggies are so much more sensitive than ours.

Hello,

I pick up my Tesla Tuesday. I was wondering if anyone had a list of supplies they keep in their car? Things like quick cleaning wipes. I have a dog that will travel in the car as well. Maybe there are something people bought that are helpful.

Thanks

Even with a dual motor car, I can still fill up my frunk with emergency supplies and leave my trunk and storage below trunk available for everyday groceries, etc.

Here's what's in my frunk:
  • Tire repair kit/inflator from Tesla
  • Chademo adaptor and UMC cable/adaptors
  • Emergency supplies such as paper towels, gloves, flashlight, ice scraper (used to live in Dallas when this was more commonly used)
  • Cleaning supplies, such as spray bottle filled with optimum no rinse (for bugs on road trips, quick cleanup), window cleaner, microfiber towels
  • Thinking about adding first aid kit and blanket/big towel to it as well.
Love having the frunk to store emergency supplies to free up my huge trunk for everyday needs.

Here's what I have in my S (RWD), lots of it is carryover from what I used to haul around in the trunk of my Town Cars:

Under-trunk and side cubbyholes:
  • Twin inflatable mattress
  • 6' x 8' 10oz Canvas Tarp
  • 4-Way SAE Tire Iron with a length of paracord lashed to the cross
  • Ice-scraper/Brush combo
  • 25' Heavy duty 5-15 style extension cord
  • UMC cable/adapters
  • Tire repair kit and compressor from Tesla (free because Maryland! :D )
  • Baseball cap (I don't know, it was in the Town Car so it went in the Tesla)
  • Small Craftsman tool-bag including Metric and SAE socket sets, small hammer, rubber mallet, socket driver, the more useful wrenches, box cutter, gloves, and of course... duct tape (actually might be Gorilla)
Frunk (this is in the microwave space that refreshed and AWD cars don't have):
  • Small Cooler
  • Front license plate bracket (didn't want it screwed into my nose cone!)
  • Zip ties
  • (Occasionally) Groceries, backpack/laptop bag, small luggage
Cabin/Glove compartment:
  • First-aid kit (nothing fancy, just what you can buy pre-made; be sure to periodically update expired items)
  • J1772 adapter (there's a cutout in the glove box that holds it pretty well and having it there keeps you from having to dig through your UMC bag in the trunk)
  • Small pencil case with 1 ink pen, 1 felt pen, 1 pencil, scratch paper, some length of string, and a can opener/bottle opener/wine key ( ;) )
  • Insurance card/registration and HOV lane sticker (haven't put it on yet...)
  • Matchbox Lincoln Town Car to honor the best car (and platform, Panther body what-what!) ever produced by Lincoln and to remember what got me from A-B before Tesla!
Also, in the cabin I bought a cigarette adapter USB charging thingy. I have a couple different cables to choose from should anyone need a charge. The built-in USB ports I use for thumb drives with music. I made one that has high-energy music for fast driving and one that has down-tempo and jazz/classical for more relaxed trips. They are labeled "Red Pill" and "Blue Pill" :cool:

Congrats on the new Tesla! You're going to love it! :):):)

Edit: Clarification and errant comma

Here's my supplies:
In the Frunk:
An old furniture moving blanket (quilted, usually used as padding for cargo, can be used to keep warm in emergency)
Front license plate.

In the glove box:
A roll of toilet paper that fits in the space where the j1772 adapter goes.
Tire pressure gauge, pencil style.
Pen, pencil, small note pad.
A few business cards.
Registration/Insurance cards.
A minimal paper Tesla Owner's Manual.
A pair of thin gloves (for driving in the winter!)
A tin of Altoids mints.
A USB cigarette lighter adapter (more powerful so I can charge my tablet).

In the back seat:
Front windshield sunshade.

In the back:
UMC bag with a bunch of adapters.
First aid kit.
Collapsible shovel (military entrenching tool).
Snow brush/scraper.
Mylar/plastic tarp, about 4x8 (emergency blanket style)
Universal tire iron.
Compact scissor jack.
Trailer hitch coupler, ball and 4-flat wiring connector.
A couple ratchet straps.
A few rag wipe cloths.

When on a long distance trip, we also add the Chademo adapter, a spare tire (a summer or snow tire, basically whatever is not on the car), and depending on where we're headed, maybe a 30' NEMA 14-50 extension cord. We try to keep the heavy/bulky items out of the car for regular day use.

You guys put me to shame! So I have to up my game and make it sound good.

The frunk:

UMC and std adapters
CAMCO 30Ft extension cable
14-3 adapter
3 wheel chocks
compact scissor jack
Tesla tire inflator gunk
puncture plug kit that has come in very handy
thick micro fiber blanket for padding and cold safety
two bottles of water
heavyweight hoodie
heavy socks
first aid kit
compact tool kit with the basics
thin shop jacket thing to keep clean
lots of nitrile gloves
window cleaner
MF towels
glass cleaning special paper towels
regular paper towels
toilet paper
I store much in the Tesla frunk box, which can double as a cooler

The glove box:

J1772
one MF towel
Tesla quick start
not much else. Rattles around too much.

Driver's seat pouch:

parking garage card
company badge
biz cards
my state park passes

Pass seat pouch:

all my EV charging cards and mini cards
Wheel lock
BlackVue micro sim adaptor

Center armrests:

gum...

Center console:

Change
A little trash container
Great spot for my DSLR when out for a photo sojourn...

Trunk:

Grocery and Costco bags for errands

Needed:

Ice maker
Kegerator
Microwave!

I keep this in the "basement" of the trunk:

EcoReco Electric Scooter : State-of-Art Last Mile Electric Vehicle

It's great for trips when you drop the family off at the hotel/mall/restaurant/etc. to make your way back to them quickly, and then back to the charger to pick up the car when it's done. It also fits nicely in the trunk's basement, along with my Chademo adapter, and I think even if the vehicle got broken into, no one would know it's there. I have the Tesla all-weather trunk mat that covers the carpet so you don't see that there's another compartment below.

Wow, you guys have a lot of stuff in your car! I feel like I need to buy more stuff now!

How does the Tesla tire inflator, work? I get a flat, I use the gunk first or in combination with the inflator and inflate tire+gunk to seal and inflate? Do I need a jack also?
Also, do all Model S's have the spot for the J1772 plug in the glove box? I don't see a spot in mine (early 2016) that it fits into securely.

Planning a road trip next month, wanted to have everything I might need.
Thanks!

You guys put me to shame! So I have to up my game and make it sound good.

The frunk:

UMC and std adapters
CAMCO 30Ft extension cable
14-3 adapter
3 wheel chocks
compact scissor jack
Tesla tire inflator gunk
puncture plug kit that has come in very handy
thick micro fiber blanket for padding and cold safety
two bottles of water
heavyweight hoodie
heavy socks
first aid kit
compact tool kit with the basics
thin shop jacket thing to keep clean
lots of nitrile gloves
window cleaner
MF towels
glass cleaning special paper towels
regular paper towels
toilet paper
I store much in the Tesla frunk box, which can double as a cooler

The glove box:

J1772
one MF towel
Tesla quick start
not much else. Rattles around too much.

Driver's seat pouch:

parking garage card
company badge
biz cards
my state park passes

Pass seat pouch:

all my EV charging cards and mini cards
Wheel lock
BlackVue micro sim adaptor

Center armrests:

gum...

Center console:

Change
A little trash container
Great spot for my DSLR when out for a photo sojourn...

Trunk:

Grocery and Costco bags for errands

Needed:

Ice maker
Kegerator
Microwave!

Do you have third-row seats?
I don't think I have any special supplies in my car besides a backup inflatable booster seat for the third-row seats.
Could you please elaborate on the inflatable booster seat? My son (3,5 y.o.) complains that he cannot see the cars, and thus refuses to use the 3rd row seats. Thus i wonder if the booster seat would help and which one you use.

Also, do all Model S's have the spot for the J1772 plug in the glove box? I don't see a spot in mine (early 2016) that it fits into securely.

The newer cars don't. My 2015q2 S85D doesn't have a spot for the J1772 adapter in the glovebox, so I put it in the round UMC bag (there's even a place to hold it IIRC).

I carry a fair amount of stuff when I go on trips (maybe not as much as some people up thread!) but if I'm close to home I travel a lot lighter (no CHAdeMO adapter for example). I have a checklist to tell me what to load back in the car for a typical road trip.

Bruce.

The newer cars don't. My 2015q2 S85D doesn't have a spot for the J1772 adapter in the glovebox, so I put it in the round UMC bag (there's even a place to hold it IIRC).

I carry a fair amount of stuff when I go on trips (maybe not as much as some people up thread!) but if I'm close to home I travel a lot lighter (no CHAdeMO adapter for example). I have a checklist to tell me what to load back in the car for a typical road trip.

Bruce.

That's really interesting to me that the J1772 adapter spot went away. I was pleasantly surprised when I found it. My car is March 2015 but not a D. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

First day I had the car, I charged at a J1772 spot in the lot next to their apartment (for the novelty, really) and was digging around in the satchel for the adapter. After the car was done I decided I would be clever and keep it in the glove box. To my surprise there was a little cutout that looked sorta close to the adapter shape! Regardless, I would've kept the adapter in the glove box, space allotment or not ;)

Bruce.
I'm a fan of checklists, would you mind sharing yours? Got a new 70d this week and a hyper-organized wife 5 years ago :). Trying to impress her :)

• Funny
Reactions: NikeWings
I'm a fan of checklists, would you mind sharing yours? Got a new 70d this week and a hyper-organized wife 5 years ago :). Trying to impress her :)

Sure...here ya go. Once again this is my "trip" checklist, defined as a journey where the plans involve an overnight stay or at least two charging stops. Obviously adapt to your own situation. A little bit of customization and I'm sure she'll be impressed. :)

Trip Checklist
Service
- [ ] Check tire pressure (48 psi)
- [ ] Clean windows and mirrors
- [ ] Clean backup camera
Charging
- [ ] UMC
- [ ] NEMA 14-50 (240V RV)
- [ ] NEMA 5-15 (120V)
- [ ] NEMA 5-20 (120V)
- [ ] NEMA 10-30 (240V dryer)
- [ ] NEMA 14-30 (240V dryer)
- [ ] J1772 adapter
- [ ] CHAdeMO adapter
- [ ] evGO card
- [ ] Chargepoint card
Other
- [ ] Fastrak transponder
- [ ] Tire repair kit
- [ ] Windshield cleaning supplies
- [ ] Screen cleaning wipes
- [ ] Kleenex
- [ ] Paper towels
- [ ] Wet Ones / Hand sanitizer
- [ ] Trash bags

Bruce.

Thanks for the reply, no wonder I wasn't able to find it! ☺️
Thanks for the list, it'll come in handy this summer.

Sure...here ya go. Once again this is my "trip" checklist, defined as a journey where the plans involve an overnight stay or at least two charging stops. Obviously adapt to your own situation. A little bit of customization and I'm sure she'll be impressed. :)

Trip Checklist
Service
- [ ] Check tire pressure (48 psi)
- [ ] Clean windows and mirrors
- [ ] Clean backup camera
Charging
- [ ] UMC
- [ ] NEMA 14-50 (240V RV)
- [ ] NEMA 5-15 (120V)
- [ ] NEMA 5-20 (120V)
- [ ] NEMA 10-30 (240V dryer)
- [ ] NEMA 14-30 (240V dryer)
- [ ] J1772 adapter
- [ ] CHAdeMO adapter
- [ ] evGO card
- [ ] Chargepoint card
Other
- [ ] Fastrak transponder
- [ ] Tire repair kit
- [ ] Windshield cleaning supplies
- [ ] Screen cleaning wipes
- [ ] Kleenex
- [ ] Paper towels
- [ ] Wet Ones / Hand sanitizer
- [ ] Trash bags

Just curious. Why 48psi? Compromise between 45 and 50psi?