Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla support for powerwall sales options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on SCE.

So the tariff is TOU-D-A. It's a whole house TOU account.

I have 3x Powerwalls, so I have to cycle 40.5 kWh per week. During each day, I cycle from 8-10kWh through the batteries during peak hours (2pm-8pm nowadays, used to be 12-6pm when I first started on the program.)... So, by Friday, I get to the minimum. On the weekends, I run on batteries 8:30am- 9:30am... By Monday, I'm at 100% to start, and go all over again.

I'm on Advanced, Cost-Saving, and 50% reserved for power outages.
Thanks.
Okay, looks like you SCE tou-d-a rates are like PGE's eva-2. Meaning super high rates during main time of day, and much lower during dead of night?

If I have 5, I would need to use 67.5 per week, or about 10 per day, just would need to use between 3 pm to midnight. I use way more than this. Just in the winter I have days I do not get close to this much from solar. And this year is way above normal since we have had so little rain.

My only concern is during the summer. Things really get hot in the evening but I guess this is the time I put out lots of solar also.

Thanks.
Okay, looks like you SCE tou-d-a rates are like PGE's eva-2. Meaning super high rates during main time of day, and much lower during dead of night?

If I have 5, I would need to use 67.5 per week, or about 10 per day, just would need to use between 3 pm to midnight. I use way more than this. Just in the winter I have days I do not get close to this much from solar. And this year is way above normal since we have had so little rain.

My only concern is during the summer. Things really get hot in the evening but I guess this is the time I put out lots of solar also.
My panels are 8 years old, so my summertime peak is 40 kWh of production and last Summer was the least amount of time that I've hit that peak...

It takes my system 2 days to fill up the batteries from empty, That's why my reserve is 50%.

My production is reliably in the 30-34 kWh in the Summer, so, it's good to skip the approximately $0.50 per kWh that it costs to use energy from 2-8pm in the Summer peak (M-F) hours... But it's still not enough to really justify the batteries for economic reasons, but helps "lessen" the sting and the additional backup for PSPS mitigation is cool.

Happen to have the details, meaning, is it 100% because of batteries, or is it some part because of solar? Just keep trying to understand what folks are doing if its 100% batteries. Not sure I even use that much to start with

Good question. It is no doubt both, but I am not sure how you separate them.

In the summer, most of the usage comes late in the afternoon when the solar is declining and the Powerwalls have been at 100% since noon, and we move into peak rates. Then in the evening when the sun is gone we still run some A/C and that is powered by the Powerwalls until after the peak rates drop. But with the net metering, we had been sending power back to PG&E since 11:30 or so.

I guess I could spend time digging through the data from the TEG and the PG&E meter, or I could spend time doing work and paying myself more money. Maybe I can automate all of this since I capture the TEG state every 20 seconds into a database. Another project to add to a long list.:confused:

Good question. It is no doubt both, but I am not sure how you separate them.

In the summer, most of the usage comes late in the afternoon when the solar is declining and the Powerwalls have been at 100% since noon, and we move into peak rates. Then in the evening when the sun is gone we still run some A/C and that is powered by the Powerwalls until after the peak rates drop. But with the net metering, we had been sending power back to PG&E since 11:30 or so.

I guess I could spend time digging through the data from the TEG and the PG&E meter, or I could spend time doing work and paying myself more money. Maybe I can automate all of this since I capture the TEG state every 20 seconds into a database. Another project to add to a long list.:confused:
When I read a post just the other day from a person says the savings in load shifting in batteries is tiny, just trying to get as much real data as possible. From what I am seeing, just having lots of solar and being able to stay on the tou-c rates, gets me a zero true up. So for me, adding batteries for money savings does nothing. And with my generator, am technically ready for a power outage. But, the batteries have more cool factor. :( But am not liking the ev2-a rates, and the thoughts of having to play with stuff.

When I read a post just the other day from a person says the savings in load shifting in batteries is tiny, just trying to get as much real data as possible. From what I am seeing, just having lots of solar and being able to stay on the tou-c rates, gets me a zero true up. So for me, adding batteries for money savings does nothing. And with my generator, am technically ready for a power outage. But, the batteries have more cool factor. :( But am not liking the ev2-a rates, and the thoughts of having to play with stuff.

Forgot about the EV rate factor. Guess. I need to add that into calculations when I get a new Tesla without Free Supercharging. :(