Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Support Frustrations - Hacked Account

Koflo

Jan 15, 2021
Aubrey, tx
Hey everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Last night I noticed a fraudulent charge on my bank account from Tesla for $540. When I went to go get into my Tesla account I noticed that I could no longer reach my account as my credentials were no longer accepted. When I tried the forgot my password route, it tells me it doesn't even recognize my email. Bummer. The other thing is I never once received an email from Tesla that my account is being hacked or that the email or password is being changed. I know that my email wasn't compromised with 2 step auth on and a randomly generated password being my password.

So I did what any sane person would do which was to claim fraud through my bank and cancel that card, then call Tesla support this morning. So I called a total of 5 times. First time I called the lady redirected me to the general car support team which luckily for me isnt open during the weekends. So I called back, she said she would try to help me and put my on a brief hold...until hanging up on me. I called back, she answered and within 30 seconds, she hung up again. Called back again, different person this time who redirects me to roadside assistance. So I call roadside assistance. Roadside assistance tells me there is nothing they can do and I have to call general car support which happens to be closed during the weekends. After back and forth, he told me that I will have to wait until Monday when the car support team gets back in the office. So learning lesson to everyone, if your account is unreachable during the weekend, Tesla will do nothing. That person will have free will over your account for 3 days was what I was told.

Has anyone experienced an issue like this? Does anyone have advice to give me? At this point I'm at a loss of words.

TespaceX

May 1, 2020
CA
Hey everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Last night I noticed a fraudulent charge on my bank account from Tesla for $540. When I went to go get into my Tesla account I noticed that I could no longer reach my account as my credentials were no longer accepted. When I tried the forgot my password route, it tells me it doesn't even recognize my email. Bummer. The other thing is I never once received an email from Tesla that my account is being hacked or that the email or password is being changed. I know that my email wasn't compromised with 2 step auth on and a randomly generated password being my password.

So I did what any sane person would do which was to claim fraud through my bank and cancel that card, then call Tesla support this morning. So I called a total of 5 times. First time I called the lady redirected me to the general car support team which luckily for me isnt open during the weekends. So I called back, she said she would try to help me and put my on a brief hold...until hanging up on me. I called back, she answered and within 30 seconds, she hung up again. Called back again, different person this time who redirects me to roadside assistance. So I call roadside assistance. Roadside assistance tells me there is nothing they can do and I have to call general car support which happens to be closed during the weekends. After back and forth, he told me that I will have to wait until Monday when the car support team gets back in the office. So learning lesson to everyone, if your account is unreachable during the weekend, Tesla will do nothing. That person will have free will over your account for 3 days was what I was told.

Has anyone experienced an issue like this? Does anyone have advice to give me? At this point I'm at a loss of words.

This is the (unfortunate) Tesla way.

If your concern does not fit nicely into one of their cookie cutter boxes, there’s little support. I’m actually surprised you were able to get someone from Tesla on the phone other than emergency roadside assistance.

Koflo

Jan 15, 2021
Aubrey, tx
Thanks everyone for the replies, here is a small update: After the 7th call and begging the local service center to look into my account at the very least, we found and fixed the issue. Someone got into my account and changed the email address on my account. This oddly enough does not send any notifications to the original email. So this attacker created an identical email to mine just at Outlook instead of Gmail. Thankfully, the hacker didn't change the password so the Tesla rep just let me know what the email was and I was able to login with that email and my password. From there I changed the password and set up 2FA. I then saw that a charger was purchased under my account. So I called FedEx and FedEx is going to do a return to sender so the hacker will never get the package.

TeslySnipes

Mar 25, 2021
MO
This exact same thing happened to me, I was able to use your info and log into my account and change the information back. I also changed the account information and setup 2FA. Thanks for saving me the massive headaches of having to call in.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC