Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Support Frustrations - Hacked Account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Last night I noticed a fraudulent charge on my bank account from Tesla for $540. When I went to go get into my Tesla account I noticed that I could no longer reach my account as my credentials were no longer accepted. When I tried the forgot my password route, it tells me it doesn't even recognize my email. Bummer. The other thing is I never once received an email from Tesla that my account is being hacked or that the email or password is being changed. I know that my email wasn't compromised with 2 step auth on and a randomly generated password being my password.

So I did what any sane person would do which was to claim fraud through my bank and cancel that card, then call Tesla support this morning. So I called a total of 5 times. First time I called the lady redirected me to the general car support team which luckily for me isnt open during the weekends. So I called back, she said she would try to help me and put my on a brief hold...until hanging up on me. I called back, she answered and within 30 seconds, she hung up again. Called back again, different person this time who redirects me to roadside assistance. So I call roadside assistance. Roadside assistance tells me there is nothing they can do and I have to call general car support which happens to be closed during the weekends. After back and forth, he told me that I will have to wait until Monday when the car support team gets back in the office. So learning lesson to everyone, if your account is unreachable during the weekend, Tesla will do nothing. That person will have free will over your account for 3 days was what I was told.

Has anyone experienced an issue like this? Does anyone have advice to give me? At this point I'm at a loss of words.

Last night I noticed a fraudulent charge on my bank account from Tesla for $540. When I went to go get into my Tesla account I noticed that I could no longer reach my account as my credentials were no longer accepted. When I tried the forgot my password route, it tells me it doesn't even recognize my email. Bummer. The other thing is I never once received an email from Tesla that my account is being hacked or that the email or password is being changed. I know that my email wasn't compromised with 2 step auth on and a randomly generated password being my password.

So I did what any sane person would do which was to claim fraud through my bank and cancel that card, then call Tesla support this morning. So I called a total of 5 times. First time I called the lady redirected me to the general car support team which luckily for me isnt open during the weekends. So I called back, she said she would try to help me and put my on a brief hold...until hanging up on me. I called back, she answered and within 30 seconds, she hung up again. Called back again, different person this time who redirects me to roadside assistance. So I call roadside assistance. Roadside assistance tells me there is nothing they can do and I have to call general car support which happens to be closed during the weekends. After back and forth, he told me that I will have to wait until Monday when the car support team gets back in the office. So learning lesson to everyone, if your account is unreachable during the weekend, Tesla will do nothing. That person will have free will over your account for 3 days was what I was told.

Has anyone experienced an issue like this? Does anyone have advice to give me? At this point I'm at a loss of words.

This is the (unfortunate) Tesla way.

If your concern does not fit nicely into one of their cookie cutter boxes, there’s little support. I’m actually surprised you were able to get someone from Tesla on the phone other than emergency roadside assistance.

Thanks everyone for the replies, here is a small update: After the 7th call and begging the local service center to look into my account at the very least, we found and fixed the issue. Someone got into my account and changed the email address on my account. This oddly enough does not send any notifications to the original email. So this attacker created an identical email to mine just at Outlook instead of Gmail. Thankfully, the hacker didn't change the password so the Tesla rep just let me know what the email was and I was able to login with that email and my password. From there I changed the password and set up 2FA. I then saw that a charger was purchased under my account. So I called FedEx and FedEx is going to do a return to sender so the hacker will never get the package.

This exact same thing happened to me, I was able to use your info and log into my account and change the information back. I also changed the account information and setup 2FA. Thanks for saving me the massive headaches of having to call in.

This exactly what happen to me this morning ! I log in to my bank account trying to make a payment and realized I had a pending order from Tesla for $540. I’d check my email to see maybe it’s my insurance however I paid my insurance last week then I saw a transaction that I did not purchase. I can’t even log into my Tesla account because it would say they don’t recognize the email or password. May I ask was this resolve for you ?

It happened to me on Sunday morning. In my case the hacker strategy was to flood my personal email account (linked to the Tesla account) with spam registration emails to all sorts of genuine websites, hoping I won’t observe the “order received” or “order dispatched” emails. I did catch the latter... and Tesla responded to my email to say it’s cancelling the order and refunding me.

Obviously some low life nobodies realised the fact that Tesla is not asking for the 3 digit CVC code on cards registered on Tesla accounts, and that many people did not switch the 2 factor authentication on and their passwords are probably already dumped from other low key accounts on password databases.

Suggestion is : switch 2FA auth immediately. Additionally: Can we put pressure on Tesla to enable the 3 digit CVC card code at each purcase??

Ditto here. Received a bunch of spam registrations emails on tues morning but was tipped off by a AMEX notification that a large purchase was pending. The next day I recieved and email from Tesla that a Wall Connector for 541 dollars was being shipped to "me" to an address in Longview Texas. I checked my VISA on file with Tesla and found the charge and squashed it with the CC Company while emailing Tesla to advise them of the fraud. I decided to place a tracking alert on the package and it appears Teslas has not made any effort to recall the package as Fedex shows it to be in Mesquite Texas and to be delivered to "me" tomorrow. (sunday)

there is no support phone# I can't understand they sell $100k+ cars and don't have a PR department I bought from a private party service with a smile? the complete opposite make up stories on lies they created and only wanted a even exchange for a part they sold me a week earlier. I'm on my way to San Jose I mean palo alto headquarters

Sorry to hear that. But with online accounts hacking is to be expected. You should use temp credit card number like ones Capital One provides. They can only be used by one vendor and you can always lock them when not in use, so no unauthorized charges. Hackers are less likely to hack your account if your credit card can't be used at will. It is wise to lock or freeze your credit too. Now a days you get free weekly credit reports so you can monitor all charges.

Definitely register a new Tesla account with new email and link to your current Tesla VIN. You can remove the old Tesla account thus disabling access on your Tesla using your touchscreen controls under authorized drivers.

Thanks everyone for the replies, here is a small update: After the 7th call and begging the local service center to look into my account at the very least, we found and fixed the issue. Someone got into my account and changed the email address on my account. This oddly enough does not send any notifications to the original email. So this attacker created an identical email to mine just at Outlook instead of Gmail. Thankfully, the hacker didn't change the password so the Tesla rep just let me know what the email was and I was able to login with that email and my password. From there I changed the password and set up 2FA. I then saw that a charger was purchased under my account. So I called FedEx and FedEx is going to do a return to sender so the hacker will never get the package.
I had the exact same thing happen and you just saved me! They also used outlook.com and didn't change the PW.

How is it possible that Tesla doesn't require 2-step email verification to change your email address?

How do they let CC charges through without CVV2 code?

Reactions: trisk
1650135925793.png

Reactions: viper2ko
My account was resest to a protonmail account

problem is my original email is now considered a new account as when i tied to sign in it created it.

so my orders And existing car are associated to an incorrect email and i have not been able to email/contact anyone to help resolve it. I spoke to a local service/sales center and they did not know how to handle this

i can’t believe there is not anyone or department to handle this

i tried to sign into the false protonmail account and it is now locked from false attempts…

help please…who do i email/call?

My account was resest to a protonmail account

problem is my original email is now considered a new account as when i tied to sign in it created it.

so my orders And existing car are associated to an incorrect email and i have not been able to email/contact anyone to help resolve it. I spoke to a local service/sales center and they did not know how to handle this

i can’t believe there is not anyone or department to handle this

i tried to sign into the false protonmail account and it is now locked from false attempts…

help please…who do i email/call?
I'd call back the service center or call another and tell them they need to figure it out. You could probably transfer the car to a new account by selecting the add car from 3rd party option on the account and then upload registration and license again but that's probably the wrong way to handle it. I would make a service center fix it or point you to who can.