Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S4WRXTTCS

May 3, 2015
Snohomish, WA
I can't seem to find any way to actually email or message Tesla about an Autopilot/FSD issue.

It used to be that for non-urgent stuff you could message them, and they'd get back to you some time later. But, that seems to have disappeared.

If you're someone who prefers to write detailed bug reports how do you send them to Tesla?

Now just going through this exercise on Tesla's website.

Contact Us will bring you to
Contact | Tesla

That looks promising as you can submit a question/comment, but it makes you select one of two powerwall/solar related topics. Okay, so that's not what I'm looking for.

Let's try the support page.
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

My issue isn't on any of the FAQ ones so I'll ask a question.

Going through that I come to chat with us where it says Our agents are only available between 7AM and 3PM PST, Monday through Friday. That seems like a really short window of time.

This page shows a time window of 4:00am to 8:30pm PST, but I can't remember which steps I took to get there.
Customer Support

I am aware of the "bug report" feature in the car, but I've never heard of Tesla following up on it with a customer. Instead its kept on the car for Service to look into an issue. It's not a service related issue though.

I can't seem to find any way to actually email or message Tesla about an Autopilot/FSD issue.

It used to be that for non-urgent stuff you could message them, and they'd get back to you some time later. But, that seems to have disappeared.

If you're someone who prefers to write detailed bug reports how do you send them to Tesla?

Now just going through this exercise on Tesla's website.

Contact Us will bring you to
Contact | Tesla

That looks promising as you can submit a question/comment, but it makes you select one of two powerwall/solar related topics. Okay, so that's not what I'm looking for.

Let's try the support page.
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

My issue isn't on any of the FAQ ones so I'll ask a question.

Going through that I come to chat with us where it says Our agents are only available between 7AM and 3PM PST, Monday through Friday. That seems like a really short window of time.

This page shows a time window of 4:00am to 8:30pm PST, but I can't remember which steps I took to get there.
Customer Support

I am aware of the "bug report" feature in the car, but I've never heard of Tesla following up on it with a customer. Instead its kept on the car for Service to look into an issue. It's not a service related issue though.
Hahahahahahha!!!

Contact Tesla? Expecting a follow up?! And you’re not a new owner?

• Love
Reactions: dhrivnak and GreenT
Sorry, can anyone explain to me why, given this thread and SO MANY others like it, Musk is now the wealthiest human on the planet?
Bezos often states that Amazon is a success because he intentionally made it obsessively customer friendly.
Yet Tesla is the opposite.
I await the day when they will reverse course, add well manned service centers, so I can buy back in again?

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Bezos has the luxury on not needing to make anything or deal with any product issues. He is just a middle man that charges a markup to vend other companies products.
He makes it easy to return items, because it cost him nothing. Pushes all those costs back on the hundreds of thousands of smaller companies that make the products.
Bezos does not produce any products, but just runs the merchantile store.

Bezos is only the 2nd richest person on Earth because of his recent divorce that gave 1/4 of his $ to his Ex. Otherwise he would still be the richest.

• Disagree
Reactions: dhrivnak and GreenT
Sorry, can anyone explain to me why, given this thread and SO MANY others like it, Musk is now the wealthiest human on the planet?
Bezos often states that Amazon is a success because he intentionally made it obsessively customer friendly.
Yet Tesla is the opposite.
I await the day when they will reverse course, add well manned service centers, so I can buy back in again?
Lack of competition. Which is coming.

The real question is, how does Tesla survive once that competition arrives and they have been building nothing but ill-will with the customer base that made them successful.

Bezos has the luxury on not needing to make anything or deal with any product issues. He is just a middle man that charges a markup to vend other companies products.
He makes it easy to return items, because it cost him nothing. Pushes all those costs back on the hundreds of thousands of smaller companies that make the products.
Bezos does not produce any products, but just runs the merchantile store.

Bezos is only the 2nd richest person on Earth because of his recent divorce that gave 1/4 of his $ to his Ex. Otherwise he would still be the richest.
You completely missed my point.
Bezos still obsesses over his customers.
Let me rephrase by saying "ridiculously wealthy" so we remove Bezos ex from the equation?
Musk really makes nothing either ... his staff make the product. We could, if it were less expensive, probably buy Teslas on Amazon and get far better service. Amazon would not put up with Tesla's lack of service.

Last edited:
My point is that while he may obsess over his customers, doing so cost him almost nothing in his electronic world.

It is no easier making a telephone call to someone in authority at Amazon than someone at Tesla.

Both companies want to engage the efficient digital communications while reducing person to person feel good communications.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
My point is that while he may obsess over his customers, doing so cost him almost nothing in his electronic world.

It is no easier making a telephone call to someone in authority at Amazon than someone at Tesla.

Nonsense. I buy stuff from Amazon almost daily and contact with them is FAR easier than after 2 years of owning Tesla. Maybe it's easier in Europe?

Reactions: dgb62

Both companies want to engage the efficient digital communications while reducing person to person feel good communications.
False. I’ve been able to get ahold of someone at Amazon and get a resolution within minutes when I have issues.

Obviously I’m not communicating with anyone in the C-suite, but what organization runs its support like that?

Hahahahahahha!!!

Contact Tesla? Expecting a follow up?! And you’re not a new owner?

Ha, back when I got my first Tesla in 2015 you could message them, you could call them without any major wait times, and you could even email the local service manager. If you needed to escalate some issue there was some VP that you could email. In fact for a little bit there was a Tesla service rep person that occasionally browsed this forum.

Things were so good that at one point there was an special email address just for autopilot feedback.

They even had a PR department for handling the media.

Now days they don't have any of that.

It's pretty messed up when I can text Alaska Airlines at pretty much any hour of the day for a refund or other issue, and they'll respond quickly. But, with Tesla it's like 7AM-3PM M-F only.

I'm really jealous of the Silicon Valley Tesla owners because they at least have a strong local club that is able to get Elons attention on issues. Now I'm looking into joining the local Tesla owners group in WA state because I'm pretty convinced that the only way to get Tesla to fix anything is through regional owners groups. Elon tends to respond to tweets from region reps more often than random tweets.

Basically it comes down to the inescapable fact that NoA glitches that are specific to certain areas that could easily be fixed if anyone bothered to look into it.

I tend to be someone that lets companies know of problems fairly often. Like about once a week I let Digikey know about something broken on their website. It's usually not their fault, but some supplier will change their website and that breaks links.

I've also had pretty good luck reporting pot holes, and other road issues to my local county where they've fixed them really quickly. With Apple I routinely report issues with Apple Maps. I haven't reported Apple TV issues yet (the Apple TV 4K has a lot of Atmos issues), but I'm pretty sure I could if I tried.

But, with Tesla? I haven't been able to get anything fixed. There is no feedback loop.

All the Map issues are still broken like they were 6+ months ago
All the NoA issues are still broken like they were 6+ months ago.

False. I’ve been able to get ahold of someone at Amazon and get a resolution within minutes when I have issues.

Obviously I’m not communicating with anyone in the C-suite, but what organization runs its support like that?

With Amazon my luck depends on what department it is.

I've had no problem with refunds, etc.
I haven't had any issue with canceling things like CBS All-Access, but its weird that they make people contact them to do that.

I've been totally unable to get them to fix an issue with CBS All-Access on the AppleTV app where it glitches on a random commercial, and then I can't get it past that point in a show. Numerous people have reported the issue on forum, and have described similar problems trying to get amazons attention to it. The email address Amazon provides in the app for App issues doesn't work. I stopped using the App as a result of that, and I use the TV app instead as it actually works.

With Tesla its frustrating because they openly admit that Autopilot/FSD/etc is in beta. So if its in beta why isn't there a feedback channel? There should be a bug report website.

Lack of competition. Which is coming.

The real question is, how does Tesla survive once that competition arrives and they have been building nothing but ill-will with the customer base that made them successful.

I think we're already seeing customers leave Tesla either for a less produced product, for better service, and for a more finished product (versus beta everything). We especially see it in Europe where the Audi E-tron is popular, and the Porsche Taycan is starting to gain a lot of popularity as well. I do expect Tesla to stay competitive as they did an ace move by opening a factory in Berlin. Plus they started shipping Chinese made Model 3's to Europe, and those have been shown to have better quality (due to improvements at the factory, and processes). Tesla also is way more limited in Europe on using "the future" to sell current products as the customer protection laws in Europe are stronger.

Europe is important because of how massive VW is.

State side the most important thing for Tesla to do is to improve customer service, initial quality, and service.

It's been shown that customer service builds empathy with the customer. Where a customer will be more understanding of a problem if they feel like it's being actively worked on.

For example I had an issue with a Whoop Strap in not reading my heart rate correctly during extremely intensive workouts. It would just glitch out, and would read much lower. Both my Apple Watch, and a chest strap functioned correctly. Whoop had great customer service even to the point where I felt guilty for returning it. I only returned it because at the time I was dealing with too many products that didn't work. I just wanted a product that worked so I ended up getting an Oura Ring. It doesn't do much, but hey it works.

I think its also about expectations.

With Cars they used to be mechanical devices where the relationship was with the dealer or mechanic.

Now that they're predominately SW the relationship is more like Apple, Microsoft, etc.

The real danger isn't really the Germans, and definitely not the Japanese car manufactures. The real danger is Hyundai (through partnership with Apple), and Chinese car companies. Companies that will package an EV solution into a very customer friendly form for not a whole lot of money.

I feel like Tesla is starting to lose the very thing that made them successful. That was their ability to deliver a nice packaged solution. It's a nicely packages solution of SW upgrades, Supercharger network, and a service network. They still have those, but then they disconnect the customer lots of times before the customer has even taken delivery.

I first ran into this "how do I get a hold of anyone" during a service issue with Tesla supercharging billing (it wasn't letting me supercharger as it said I had a pending charge).

Reactions: GreenT
You completely missed my point.
Bezos still obsesses over his customers.
Let me rephrase by saying "ridiculously wealthy" so we remove Bezos ex from the equation?
Musk really makes nothing either ... his staff make the product. We could, if it were less expensive, probably buy Teslas on Amazon and get far better service. Amazon would not put up with Tesla's lack of service.

If Bezos obsessed over his customers, Amazon's search wouldn't suck so hard.

Ha, back when I got my first Tesla in 2015 you could message them, you could call them without any major wait times, and you could even email the local service manager. If you needed to escalate some issue there was some VP that you could email. In fact for a little bit there was a Tesla service rep person that occasionally browsed this forum.

Things were so good that at one point there was an special email address just for autopilot feedback.

They even had a PR department for handling the media.

Now days they don't have any of that.

It's pretty messed up when I can text Alaska Airlines at pretty much any hour of the day for a refund or other issue, and they'll respond quickly. But, with Tesla it's like 7AM-3PM M-F only.

I'm really jealous of the Silicon Valley Tesla owners because they at least have a strong local club that is able to get Elons attention on issues. Now I'm looking into joining the local Tesla owners group in WA state because I'm pretty convinced that the only way to get Tesla to fix anything is through regional owners groups. Elon tends to respond to tweets from region reps more often than random tweets.

Basically it comes down to the inescapable fact that NoA glitches that are specific to certain areas that could easily be fixed if anyone bothered to look into it.

I tend to be someone that lets companies know of problems fairly often. Like about once a week I let Digikey know about something broken on their website. It's usually not their fault, but some supplier will change their website and that breaks links.

I've also had pretty good luck reporting pot holes, and other road issues to my local county where they've fixed them really quickly. With Apple I routinely report issues with Apple Maps. I haven't reported Apple TV issues yet (the Apple TV 4K has a lot of Atmos issues), but I'm pretty sure I could if I tried.

But, with Tesla? I haven't been able to get anything fixed. There is no feedback loop.

All the Map issues are still broken like they were 6+ months ago
All the NoA issues are still broken like they were 6+ months ago.
I was also an owner of a 2015 Model S and back then, service was responsive to a degree I had never experienced. In a good way.

It really all went downhill with the M3 launch when they decided not to scale appropriately.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Back in 2012? Service was INCREDIBLE!
I remember moving cross country. On my arrival Tesla called me to let me know my (12V) battery needed replacing as it had called home.
Ranger came out and replaced.
Next day got stuck on the side of the road; called the 800 number; they answered the phone with my name. (My call had been routed based on my area code..)
Knew where I was, had car towed within 5 minutes and had a taxi take me home.
It was like a private club. Loved every second of it. And, of course, when I took delivery there were no superchargers!
How times have changed.