Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are people using their Tesla for watersport gear (surfing, kayak, etc)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner. Trying to gain some insight on other's experience with their approach to surfing with the Tesla security setup. I used to secure my Audi key fob in a padlock attached to my car, but the Tesla key card will not fit in most padlocks. I won't be surfing with my iPhone (my primary key) and assume my phone will have to be turned off completely to allow the car to lock with it inside.

The best option I can think of is a slim waterproof case to hold the key card around my neck while surfing, although this is only ideal during wet suit season in SoCal. Summer is coming though...

Also kayaking, I think turning off blue tooth on your phone is enough so you can leave it in the car.
I'm looking to punch a hole in the key card so I can attach it to a lanyard.
This x-ray shows what to avoid - note the antenna around the perimeter. Imgur

Reactions: buckets0fun
The key cards are waterproof... great for this purpose, I just stick it in my board shorts zipper pocket and swim with it, works great. Yes, don't leave your phone in the car or it won't lock. Presumably turning your phone off would be fine.
According to the manual, just turning off the blue tooth on the phone should do it. I've never tried it, but I can't open the car unless the BT is on.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Tesla Model 3 owner gets RFID chip implanted in his hand to unlock his car with a wave

product_85129400727_xDF2-promo-416x416.jpg

I put a card in this lockbox attached to the rim and put my phone on airplane mode and stash it under the back storage. Once you put your phone on airplane mode, place your card in your pocket because the last door or trunk you close will lock the car. I got stuck once and had to call my wife on a good samaritan's phone to unlock my car. You could also take your lockbox with you and secure it to someplace where you can see it from the ocean.

Been searching for a way to look my keycard when I go surfing as well. Glad I found this thread. For those looking, I found a few solutions that should work. I would lock this to my wheel from what I can see:
WordLock Key lock box – large capacity Secure Realtor Storage Lockbox with 4 Letter Word combination - Indoor / Outdoor Use for surfers, beach and sportsWordLock Key lock box – large capacity Secure Realtor Storage Lockbox with 4 Letter Word combination

Key Lock Box, UPXON Extra Large Key Storage Box

Hope this helps my fellow surfers!