Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla surprise-unveiled its new roadster at its semi truck unveiling event...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
apologies for posting it in local HK forum, some of us may not see it otherwise

Tesla CEO Elon Musk unveils a surprise new car: A ridiculously fast Roadster

i have zero taste in car aesthetics so i'll leave the sujective praise up to others. here're some numbers!

2+2 seats
200 kwh battery (yes, 200 kwh! tesla claims 600+ miles range)
0-60mph (approx 0-100km/h) in 1.9 seconds YES YOU READ THAT RIGHT
0-100 mph in 4.0/ 4.1 seconds (reported differently on different sources)
no mention on its curb weight
no mention on number of motors

accepting USD 50k deposit, base model priced at USD 250k. If you were at the event and put down USD 50k deposit straight away (with no idea of final price tag), you get a joy ride in that one.

----------------------------------------------------------------

personally i think having the fastest production car at that price is a steal. i'm guessing it'll go with two motors instead of one at each wheel - torque vectoring is all good but the bottleneck for tesla car performance has been its boat-like width (model S and X are not sports cars tho, admittedly), battery cooling and the sheer weight of the car.

if they can keep this new roadster at/below the 3500 lbs weight mark, it should do very well in corners due to the super low centre of gravity. even taking my own pre-facelift model S 70D around a big empty roundabout at speed was a lot of lateral G-force whilst the car held to the ground like it's on rails. i've only felt stronger lateral G at the same roundabout in a nissan GTR. having this Roadster at a lighter weight would be something to behold.

*the big, empty roundabout was at a remote place with zero cars/ population around and was done safely, and no i'm not a chav thanks