Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla swap? London based 100D owner moving to NYC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla owners

I am moving with work from London to live in NYC in September this year. As I understand it, I won’t be able to supercharge a European Telsa in the US, so I can’t ship it out there. (Or am I wrong?)

I was wondering if anyone making the move the other way - from US to > UK - would be interested in a car swap during the period we’re both overseas.

I have an immaculate low mileage S100D.

House swapping is a relatively understood process, but not sure for cars. If you’re interested, if you know anyone making the move, if you have done something similar, if you know of a site / app for this type of thing, or any other ideas, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks in advance, Paul

If your company pays shipping, as mine did for my RHD Honda CRV years ago, your warranty would only be an issue while overseas. Also, many of owners rarely visit SCs. Depending upon your mileage, that may be a non-issue.

If you ever plan on leaving the city, you really want a supercharger-compatible car here in the US. It's a very big country with long distances involved for many trips. (And if you don't plan on leaving the city... you don't want a car anyways... just uber/subway like everyone else in NYC...).

Reactions: Donz_S and iboy
I imported my Tesla from Canada to the US, so the process is a bit easier within North America but I still had to get a whole bunch of papers from Tesla's Trade Compliance division.

But you are not looking to ship - so on that note...

While going through the process of figuring this all out, Tesla also gave me the option to trade in the car and turn it over in Canada then they'd get me one (of equal value) in the US.

Maybe they'd be willing to work with you in the same manner if you're interested. I imagine its more complex UK to US though.... and the currency conversion factors in with an wider delta.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
I imported my Tesla from Canada to the US, so the process is a bit easier within North America but I still had to get a whole bunch of papers from Tesla's Trade Compliance division.

But you are not looking to ship - so on that note...

While going through the process of figuring this all out, Tesla also gave me the option to trade in the car and turn it over in Canada then they'd get me one (of equal value) in the US.

Maybe they'd be willing to work with you in the same manner if you're interested. I imagine its more complex UK to US though.... and the currency conversion factors in with an wider delta.

Thanks for your reply. That’s interesting -
I’ll ask Telsa to see if they’d do that trade

Nobody read his original post. He's not considering shipping. He's looking for someone to swap cars with, as he's moving from London to NYC, and seeks someone else living in NYC moving to London to swap cars.

UK cars are right hand drive anyway, so they wouldn't work out here.
I did read his post, thank you.

He asked ... I won’t be able to supercharge a European Telsa in the US, so I can’t ship it out there. (Or am I wrong?)

Why would a right hand drive car not work in the USA? UK drivers drive the Channel tunnel to France every day!

Reactions: Donz_S
Nobody read his original post. He's not considering shipping. He's looking for someone to swap cars with, as he's moving from London to NYC, and seeks someone else living in NYC moving to London to swap cars.

UK cars are right hand drive anyway, so they wouldn't work out here.

OP asked (as I did read) “...or am I wrong” which opened up the conversation to what functionality he/she might have if choosing instead to bring the car to USA.

Also, in my post I wrote that I transferred a RHD (Right Hand Drive) Honda to/from Japan and USA. It is absolutely possible and the only real cost is getting the vehicle shipped from seaport to seaport.

OP asked (as I did read) “...or am I wrong” which opened up the conversation to what functionality he/she might have if choosing instead to bring the car to USA.

Also, in my post I wrote that I transferred a RHD (Right Hand Drive) Honda to/from Japan and USA. It is absolutely possible and the only real cost is getting the vehicle shipped from seaport to seaport.

Hi all, thanks as ever for your passion, just to clarify as the OP:

- yes it’s the inability to supercharge that is the main concern for me. We want to be seeing the country, and SC in my view critical..
- personally I’m not concerned about RHD/LHD, as someone posted, very usual for brits to deal with this every time we drive in Europe
- shipping the car is actually not that expensive, (circa $900) - but then there is an alleged issue of apparently having to remove the battery because of explosion risk? At least that’s one thing I read. Possibly BS?
- another issue is that data I believe won’t work and as you can’t change the sim?

I engaged a guy who had created a one off us\ Europe converter (which he kindly offered to lend me) but I am not a rooter / hacker so worried that it might not work / **** the car,... hence the thought of swapping with another tesla owner going the other way

Reactions: Donz_S