Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla switching SR models to LFP batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only time NCA really needs heating is before charging. Otherwise it’s a waste of energy with little benefit. The only time I’ve found it to be worthwhile is prior to departure on a road trip, getting the battery up to temp with shore power rather than battery power in preparation for Supercharging. For around-town use, preheating is a waste.

The amount of energy required to heat the battery depends on how cold the battery is. Keep in mind that the 1,000 lb pack will heat very slowly. As @USBSeawolf2000 described above, a 10°F rise took 15 minutes and about 1 kWh. To go from 0°F to 50°F will take considerably more time and energy.

I think it’s also important to highlight this part of Tesla’s webpage. I’ll be very interested to see how people like their LFP packs this winter in Canada - seems they’ve been selling very well up there.

View attachment 726745
the LFP battery isn't available in Canada yet. apparently there was a few delivered to Vancouver and sold on existing inventory, but then those deliveries got pulled without explanation and shipped back to California.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
the LFP battery isn't available in Canada yet. apparently there was a few delivered to Vancouver and sold on existing inventory, but then those deliveries got pulled without explanation and shipped back to California.

@Goulag correct, not yet. However, Teslas announced a few days ago that they will be transitioning to LFP for all standard-range vehicles globally. Timeline wasn't announced, but I'm pretty sure Canada is still part of the globe, so it's coming.

Keep in mind the SR doesn't have battery warmers like the X and S. When you pre condition in the 3 it just makes the entire motor inefficient to create wasted heat.

Technically correct that it doesn't have a dedicated battery heater like the S & X. Model 3 pre-heat pump uses the motors to generate heat for the battery pack, while all current Tesla models use the heat pump to generate heat for the pack. There is no real difference in heating performance between the vehicles except RWD pre-heat pump Model 3, which can only provide about 3 kW of heat to the battery pack - basically a non-issue.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Motor heat is used first to heat the battery. The heat pump uses battery heat first to provide cabin heat. That's one of the reasons LFP batteries charge so slowly in the cold.
It may be true if you preheat off the battery. I have only preheated off the Wall Connector and I did not observe the battery temp drop.

Here is 26 mins preheating with 8kW start to 6.3kW end at 30 deg F cold soaked overnight.

Cabin temp was reached within ~5 mins. The rest was maintain it and heating up the battery.

When I left, the average battery temp was at 54.5 F per ScanMyTesla app. Had 20kW regen at 81% SOC.

1637949304806.png

Last edited: