Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla switching to open wheel nuts ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20171010_164614.jpg
The tin-covered nuts were deformed by normal use.
Recently, I was in for a service, and they replaced all wheel nuts with some open type, I can see the bolt just fine..

My first thought is that more water/salt will enter the threads by using those ?

Attachments

• 20171010_164614.jpg
    20171010_164614.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 20171010_164614.jpg
    20171010_164614.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 20171010_164614.jpg
    20171010_164614.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 81
View attachment 253109 The tin-covered nuts were deformed by normal use.
Recently, I was in for a service, and they replaced all wheel nuts with some open type, I can see the bolt just fine..

My first thought is that more water/salt will enter the threads by using those ?

I agree that open ends are more dirt/ water attractive. Although, the fully diameter lug threads are not exposed, so it could be worse. There exist black plastic lug nut covers. Maybe they forgot to add them?

Why was Tesla working with your aftermarket wheels, did you ask them to replace your nuts?

I was wondering this too. I thought the policy was not to touch aftermarket wheels?. Perhaps tesla on your side of the world is a but more lenient with mods.

You can always order some lugnut covers. But i would not be concerned with the new lugnuts. I would recomend looking at a portable electric impact wrench or an extendable , just incase they do rust on and you need to remove on the side of the road.

"I thought the policy was not to touch aftermarket wheels?"
that sounds just crazy to me, do you mean your service senter would refuse to do a annual service due to custom wheels ?

I have also extra noiseproofing , so in Autstralia they would deny to fix your door handle due to soundproofed doors ? - (I never heard a complaint about that, they fixed my door handle LED too.)

I was wondering this too. I thought the policy was not to touch aftermarket wheels?. Perhaps tesla on your side of the world is a but more lenient with mods.

You can always order some lugnut covers. But i would not be concerned with the new lugnuts. I would recomend looking at a portable electric impact wrench or an extendable , just incase they do rust on and you need to remove on the side of the road.
My understanding (so take it lightly) from the thread was that aftermarket wheels/ TPMS were non warranty items, and that they might not service the wheel/ tire in general. But they would remove them to work on the vehicle.

Wheels and rubber are also a safety item. For this reason, you'd want to be very certain that lug nuts are properly matched for the wheel. They've changed things up here, so this is something I would check if I were you.

Does the shank style / cone seat shape and angle of the lug nuts they put on conform with the milling of the aftermarket wheel lug holes? Plus, the torque specs may be different than OE.

It's very common for OE nuts NOT FITTING aftermarket wheels properly. Sure they may screw on, but if they're not matched to seat properly... bad things happen.

Last edited:
The old nuts did fit those rims just fine, (normal contact surface wear)
I got the chrome /silver caps today. - the reason I did not get them right away is that they were out.

The new , electroplated , plastic caps, fit the lugs just fine, nice resistance when pushed on.
The Tesla cap-tool does the job well, and fits in the tight holes in the rim, no trouble extracting the caps, and putting them on.

I like the total solution ! Good nuts, that will not deform it's exterior at first use, and good looking caps.

Reactions: mongo and MP3Mike
Wheels and rubber are also a safety item. For this reason, you'd want to be very certain that lug nuts are properly matched for the wheel. They've changed things up here, so this is something I would check if I were you.

Does the shank style / cone seat shape and angle of the lug nuts they put on conform with the milling of the aftermarket wheel lug holes? Plus, the torque specs may be different than OE.

It's very common for OE nuts NOT FITTING aftermarket wheels properly. Sure they may screw on, but if they're not matched to seat properly... bad things happen.

Top tip: make sure you have lug nuts that match your spare tire. (If you have a spare, that is)

...it's a Tesla... what's this "spare" you speak of?

Edit: Realized after rereading thread, there may have been a miscue: I replied to your message due to the content of it (lug nut style), which prompted a childhood memory. It was not meant as a comment directed specifically to you.

Long version: for comedic effect /edit

The spare a reader may or may not have,
In their vehicle that may or may not be a Tesla,
That may or may not use the same style nuts,
As the four currently attached. ;)

There are people that take advantage of the trunk space to carry a spare (an S can fit all 4 tires, I hear), especially if travelling through remote areas with little/ no cell coverage. Those people would be well served to ensure that, if the spare is not the same wheel as the others, that they have lug nuts to mount with. Otherwise::eek: :mad::mad::(

In the style of Burma Shave:
He had a flat
He had a spare
The lugs didn't fit
So he walked from there.

Last edited:
There's a *tool* for that??? (looks) OK, an $8.00 "learning to use chopsticks" plastic gadget.

I just use the tip of a screwdriver to lift the cap until I can grip it with my fingers or a pair of pliers.

Like a fuse puller, it has fingers that grab the bottom of the cover to pull it off. From what I read, it keep the cover looking nicer longer. But yeah, there are other alternatives.