TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla switching to Telus

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jillmark99, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Jillmark99

Jillmark99 Member

I has a ranger out yesterday replacing an airbag on my Model S and the technician was telling me that Tesla is switching to Telus in Canada instead of AT&T. He said they would be doing it via software update with eSIM.
    I though the cars had a physical SIM card?
    Anyone else hear about this alleged switch to Telus?

2. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

I have a ranger coming to my house tomorrow for the same service. I will ask him and report back.

3. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

So the guy I had knew nothing about any switch in carriers. Doesn't mean it isn't happening, he just didn't know.

4. zanary

zanary Member

Switching to eSIM means a new piece of hardware, right? 3G to LTE was a costs, so I assume switching from SIM to eSIM is also a cost that the owner will have to absorb, unless all they are doing is switching out the AT&T sim for a Telus sim...

5. Jillmark99

Jillmark99 Member

Since last software update earlier this week i’m now seeing LTE beside cellular signal in my car. I have never seen LTE before, only 3G. I never had to pay anything. Mine is a 2015 Model S.

6. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

You have a 2015 model with 3G SIM but after a software update you are on LTE?

7. thenaimis

thenaimis Former Tesla Cheerleader

They should switch to Iridium :D

8. Jillmark99

Jillmark99 Member

Well I can’t confirm what kind of SIM my car has because I have never physically seen it, but yes now all of a sudden my car shows LTE next to the little cellular signal. See attached picture.

Attached Files:

9. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

Then your car was manufactured June of 2015 or later. My build date is Feb. 2015 and at time the LTE ship was not fitted yet.

10. rooter

rooter Member

Canada, has cellphones?

• Funny x 3
  11. Jillmark99

Jillmark99 Member

Just check the build date and it was 8/15, so that explains it. Thx

• Like x 1
  12. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

Yes, we have new, state of the art igloos that amplify cell phone reception.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 5
  13. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

From the car's web browser, you can visit one of the sites that will check your IP address. Mine reports an ATT address, usually out Florida.

If you have been switched to Telus, it should show up as a Canadian address.

14. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Actually, Starlink.