Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "T" carbon fiber badge project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I'm starting on a project and wanted to share to TMC as I go.

A little background on me.
I work in aerospace as a composite technician. Having worked at a few different companies and with many composite fabrication methods, I've had the opportunity to implement those skills to my personal “fun" projects. The main reason I got started in composite manufacturing (after my 10 year career in banking came to an end via market crash) was because of my love for auto racing and cars in general. I've had a few different makes of cars but have always been a BMW enthusiast. I have owned an E36 M3 for the last 12 years and really enjoy it. I also drive a Chevy volt as my daily. I got the volt last year when I started at a new company and my commute turned into 110 miles round trip. The volt is my first experience with EVs and I never thought I'd want one even though I always thought tesla's where great looking and seemed good on paper. Now having enjoyed the volt (and test driving a few tesla's), A Tesla has become my goal. A Model 3 or used S is now the question.

After all that, what is my point!?

The point is, I'm start the process of making some carbon fiber replacement parts.

To start, I will be using a Tesla hood badge from a model 3 to scan and create an exact 3d model in solidworks, then CNC an aluminum mold. Parts will be made using plain weave prepreg carbon fiber, then maybe 2x2 or 4x4 twill weave.

Other ideas are to complete the "set" with a trunk Tesla badge. Thinking bigger and more complex, model S exterior and interior door handles, model 3 exterior door handles..

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress as I move through the first project "Tesla model 3 hood badge".

I'd love to hear any comments (why am I bothering doing this), questions or suggestions of parts you wish where carbon on your Tesla.

If you made it this far, Thanks for reading this long post!

Attachments

• 2AF74FA0-7A79-4F1D-AB76-C3373854834E.jpeg
    2AF74FA0-7A79-4F1D-AB76-C3373854834E.jpeg
    495.6 KB · Views: 268
  • FF8D256E-62AF-4C5A-94A3-14320CC4DD83.jpeg
    FF8D256E-62AF-4C5A-94A3-14320CC4DD83.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 248
  • F35E41D1-8C09-48C4-9767-2A18C196A149.png
    F35E41D1-8C09-48C4-9767-2A18C196A149.png
    857.4 KB · Views: 253
Interesting idea, one question I have, can you get the arc of the "T" to be the same as the trunk.
How thick are you going to make the "T" and will it be two pieces?

Yes, once I make the front badge then I'll start on the rear curved one. I'll be able to create the same arc. Correct, the badge is two piece. The "T" and the above "shield"

I am still in process of getting the good badge into solid works. Then I'll probably print a 3d one to make sure the model is exact before having the CNC machine the mold.

I work in aerospace as a composite technician. Having worked at a few different companies and with many composite fabrication methods, I've had the opportunity to implement those skills to my personal “fun" projects. The main reason I got started in composite manufacturing (after my 10 year career in banking came to an end via market crash) was because of my love for auto racing and cars in general. I've had a few different makes of cars but have always been a BMW enthusiast. I have owned an E36 M3 for the last 12 years and really enjoy it. I also drive a Chevy volt as my daily. I got the volt last year when I started at a new company and my commute turned into 110 miles round trip. The volt is my first experience with EVs and I never thought I'd want one even though I always thought tesla's where great looking and seemed good on paper. Now having enjoyed the volt (and test driving a few tesla's), A Tesla has become my goal. A Model 3 or used S is now the question.

The point is, I'm start the process of making some carbon fiber replacement parts.

To start, I will be using a Tesla hood badge from a model 3 to scan and create an exact 3d model in solidworks, then CNC an aluminum mold. Parts will be made using plain weave prepreg carbon fiber, then maybe 2x2 or 4x4 twill weave.

Other ideas are to complete the "set" with a trunk Tesla badge. Thinking bigger and more complex, model S exterior and interior door handles, model 3 exterior door handles..

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress as I move through the first project "Tesla model 3 hood badge".

I'd love to hear any comments (why am I bothering doing this), questions or suggestions of parts you wish where carbon on your Tesla.

Interior door handles would be awesome! I just worry about exterior door handles about wear. And with how often they fail it could be more problematic.

The rear lighted “T” for the Model 3 in kit form is now available. I would like to see someone

assemble a kit and attempted an install to see what kind of changes may need to be maid in

order to make the install process eazy for the average Model 3 owner.

If your local to Philadelphia or are willing to make the trip, speak up. Cost of the kit for the Model 3 is
under 150

Did you ever finish this project ? I was looking for a matte finish CF T for front and back for my 3.