Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla taps Apple manufacturing veteran to lead vehicle manufacturing technologies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lump

Mar 31, 2013
So. Cal.
Rich Heley
Tesla taps Apple manufacturing veteran to lead vehicle manufacturing technologies | 9to5Mac
Heley describes his new role at Tesla:
Sr. Director of Manufacturing Technology at Tesla tasked with taking the most advanced car in the world and making it even better. The scope includes advances in Vehicle, Power Train and Battery technologies by conforming the manufacturing process to the best possible design without compromise. Bringing the fit, finish, and materials used to a level unprecedented in the automotive industry as well as continuing to advance the performance and efficiency through advances in manufacturing.

Andddddd.... queue all of the apple haters now.
Personally I think it's a great fit. It's exciting to think of what kind of improvements they can come up with in future models. It's easy to forget that this is the first model that is a clean-sheet design.

Andddddd.... queue all of the apple haters now.
Personally I think it's a great fit. It's exciting to think of what kind of improvements they can come up with in future models. It's easy to forget that this is the first model that is a clean-sheet design.

It does seem like the best way to get a job at Tesla is to have one at Apple.

Both companies have hardcore fanbois and haterz.

I'll say this as someone who doesn't like Apple, but likes Tesla.

Tesla and Apple are both companies with a vision. When people share that vision, they like the companies. But when they don't share that vision, they hate it.

That is the case with me, I support the vision Tesla has of electrification. But I do not support the vision Apple has for smartphones.

I can't of course speak for everyone who doesn't like Apple, but I don't think anyone who doesn't like Apple has any hate for the employees that work there. Especially since employees get shuffled between all companies. I would even argue that it is the opposite, stealing of employees is generally used as a brand status symbol by many fanboys/haters.

Hating on people just because they work at a company is just wrong.

Hopefully he can bring a lot to Tesla. I wonder though what his job will be? Looking at his expertise is he going to make accessories or work on improving fit and finish in manufacturing?