TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Tattler Available

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by scott451, Oct 17, 2011.

1. scott451

scott451 KWH-PWR#1349Sprt,S Sig#96

#1 scott451, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    I'm happy to announce, I'm taking orders now for the next batch of tattlers. I expect to ship the first 10-20 this month and the remainder in November. USA and Canada only for now.

The Tattler is not an iPhone or Android app. It's hardware, a small Linux box with a cellular modem. It is connected to the roadster diagnostic connector. It uses simple SMS text messages for status and control and should work with any SMS (text message) capable phone. The tattler can be user installed behind the passenger seat or professionally installed underneath the driver door jam.

Price: $499 + s/h

I would prefer to pre-activate the tattler on AT&T or T-Mobile so I can confirm that everything is working properly.

The following plans are available from the carriers:

AT&T
    $25 Activation
    $20 unlimited SMS
    $10 1000SMS/mo
    $5 200SMS/mo

T-Mobile
    $10 Activation
    $15 unlimited SMS T-mobile
    $10 1000 SMS/mo T-mobile

attachment.php?attachmentid=3152&d=1318847690.png

Here are some of the supported features:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1863&d=1306998401.gif

An installation video can be found here: http://youtu.be/0kZcToGwvZA

The command structure is designed to be simple and SMS/T9 friendly. E.g. "charge stop" and "stop charge" are the same.

Attached below are pictures from the various commands. Commands are in green, car responses are in gray. (this is not an iPhone app, it works on any phone that can send text messages).

IMG_0616.PNG IMG_0618-edit.png IMG_0901.PNG
    IMG_0619.PNG IMG_0620.PNG
    IMG_0900.PNG IMG_0899.PNG

Yes. It should work with any SMS text capable phone.

No. The tattler is not an app. It will work with any Android based phone. It should work with any SMS text capable phone.

You can use your Verizon/Sprint phone to control the tatter. But, No the tattler modem must be activated on GSM network (AT&T or T-Mobile). I am working on porting the Gobi API (linux) to the tattler, but Verizon/Sprint support will have to come at a later date... Sorry.

Yes. If you send me your SIM card, I will install it and confirm it works with the tattler.

Disclaimer: This device sends and receives CAN messages on the CAN0 bus using the diagnostic connector of the Tesla Roadster. Because it uses the same diagnostic connector as the Tesla service technicians, you should shutdown and disconnect your tattler before bringing it in for service. Tattler Solutions, LLC is not affiliated with Tesla Motors, Inc. I don't work for Tesla, nor have any friends that do. I'm just passionate about Tesla's products and understanding how they work. The Tattler is the result of my own analysis of my 2008 & 2011 roadsters and discussions with (and CAN data from) other owners.

Attached Files:

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Scott deserves a lot of thanks for building this very useful gadget. He spent quite a bit of time on it.

For Canadians looking for a phone plan, the least expensive option I could identify is the Rogers "Socialite 20" pay-as-you-go plan. It offers unlimited free texting (within Canada) and costs $20 a month.

Since it's pay-as-you-go you won't have to pay while the car is in winter Storage Mode.

There are slightly cheaper plans here and there, but they charge per text and I figured that with modest usage the Rogers plan would be cheaper.

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Reserved. And a huge THANK YOU to Scott for creating this for the Roadster community.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I don't even have a Roadster Scott, but kudos to you for such an undertaking!

5. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

#5 hcsharp, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
    Scott,

I see that you live where it's warm year-round. Will the cool-down command also warm the car up? For about 5 months of the year we have to plug the Roadster in about an hour before driving to warm-up the battery.

6. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Thanks Scott, can't wait to try it out!

7. strider

strider Active Member

I'm in. Most interested in the cooldown feature as I'm on a TOU meter but want to take care of my batteries.

8. richkae

richkae VIN587

Stupid question:
    I'm on T-mobile with a family plan, can I just walk in with my old RAZR and get them to activate it as another line on my family plan, and then pull the SIM card out and put it in the Tattler?

9. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

fantastic scott! great work,

I hope you will be selling it on our side of the pond soon enough.

10. scott451

Yes. If you send me your SIM, I will install it and confirm it works with the tattler.

11. scott451

Cooldown doesn't heat the battery. I'll add a HEAT command to the new features list.

12. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

Thanks for both developing the Tesla Tattler and making it available.

When might you allow it to be sold/used in Europe?

13. scott451

Probably December. I want to build up a decent user support base before I ship outside of the US. I'm only one person and I have a fun but busy day job, so the Tattler has to be self supported by the users. With Tom and Doug_G on board as beta testers, this shouldn't be a problem.

14. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

That's great. Thanks

15. strider

strider Active Member

So is there going to be a Tattler subforum here on TMC for these kinds of support questions, FAQ posting, etc?

16. scott451

Yes. This thread will become the FAQ thread, as I will update post #1 with FAQs until it gets too big for a post. There will be a support thread where post #1 will collect the progress of releases and feature requests. I do this so that noobies can read the first post and have the most current info without lurking through 50+ pages of chatter :smile:

17. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Android Version

Hello Scott am I correct the Tesla Tatler is only for I-phone at the moment and not for a Driod X? While I would love the application I do not have an i-Phone. Thank you

18. shark2k

shark2k Member

Read the first post that Scott made in this thread. This is not an app for the phone. It uses standard text messaging to control. If you text with your phone you can use this.

-Shark2k

19. scott451

No. The tattler is not an app. It will work with any Android based phone. It should work with any SMS text capable phone.

20. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

So sorry for not reading from the beginning. My bad.

This would make a good Christmas gift. It looks like the box is $499 and then on T-Mobil then $10/month with a $10 activation.

Good work Scott.