Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Taxi fleet SC abuse in Montreal!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_2386.JPG
IMG_2389.JPG
IMG_2388.JPG
Pulled into the main Montreal 12 slot SC last night as I was nearing 40 km of available range.
What I saw floored me!
6 Teo Montreal Tesla taxis sitting there charging. They were a combination of Model S 60D's and Model S's.
This isn't right! They should be charging elsewhere shouldn't they?
I was only getting 63 km/hr charging and the screen said 6 hours 30 min to go.
This is total abuse and now I fully understand why Tesla wants to charge for this come January. They have to do something about this as these chargers are meant for inter city travel only.
As a few cars left, I was able to get 363 km/hr but even that is slow.
Tesla needs to do something about this.
I will check again this morning and report.

Reactions: jbcarioca
IMG_2393.JPG
IMG_2390.JPG
The morning came and yep, 6 more taxis charging.
I came back in the afternoon to top off and I saw one of the same taxi drivers back for a charge.
This blatant SC abuse must stop!
I'm getting 159 km/hr charge rate and I would like to be back in Toronto before the storm, but that's unlikely now.

Reactions: jbcarioca
View attachment 206097 View attachment 206096 View attachment 206095 Pulled into the main Montreal 12 slot SC last night as I was nearing 40 km of available range.
What I saw floored me!
6 Teo Montreal Tesla taxis sitting there charging. They were a combination of Model S 60D's and Model S's.
I was only getting 63 km/hr charging and the screen said 6 hours 30 min to go.
This is total abuse and now I fully understand why Tesla wants to charge for this come January. They have to do something about this as these chargers are meant for inter city travel only.
As a few cars left, I was able to get 363 km/hr but even that is slow.
Tesla needs to do something about this.
I will check again this morning and report.
Took note of your comment about "inter city travel only" and I thought about my situation. I live in a downtown San Diego high rise condo. My building does not have charging available to residents, and it was a major concern when I considered buying my MX. I spoke to numerous sales reps at the Tesla showroom and was told specifically that my car came with unlimited lifetime charging. It wasnt until after I took delivery that I started hearing conversations about the super chargers being available for "Travelers" only. I dont know that I will ever have the ability to charge at my home, so this forces me to utilize Super Chargers or pay charging stations. I have no concerns when folks try to imply Im not entitled to use the chargers, as its my only option, and its an option I paid for when I bought my car.

Now when it comes to commercial charging, I do have issue with that, especially when these guys are "For Profit" companies. Im actually a bit surprised that Tesla allows this type of operation to utilize the charging system. Are they perhaps paying a charging fee? or has it just gone un-noticed up to now?? We have no Tesla cabs here, lucky I guess.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Are the taxi's being moved as soon as they are charged?

That is my biggest issue. To let your car sit after charging is extremely rude, IMO
They are moving them, yes, as the drivers stay in the cars.
But the fact remains that today, for instance, 7 Tesla taxis were there when I left. Only 5 slots available for travellers.
That really slowed down everbody's charging.
I heard that they have 4 chargers at their offices downtown but aren't using them. Surprise surprise.
I agree companies should have their own chargers and not use ones allocated for travellers.

This blatant SC abuse must stop!

It isn't abuse, they bought the car with free Supercharging just like you did. As long as they are moving the cars once they get the needed charge they are fine. (Which given Tesla just implemented idle fees at Superchargers that is likely to happen more now than it did.)

Sure some taxi companies bought private Superchargers to use, but I don't think Tesla restricts Supercharging from commercial customers.

It isn't abuse, they bought the car with free Supercharging just like you did. As long as they are moving the cars once they get the needed charge they are fine. (Which given Tesla just implemented idle fees at Superchargers that is likely to happen more now than it did.)

Sure some taxi companies bought private Superchargers to use, but I don't think Tesla restricts Supercharging from commercial customers.
From what I understand, Elon Musk did not want to sell the cars to fleet services such as police forces and taxi companies because of this reason.
I heard the OPP wanted to buy a fleet of Model S's but were turned down.

• Disagree
Reactions: callmesam
I'm a bit surprised that your charge rate was throttled as badly as it was, if it was in fact due to the heavy use of the superchargers at that time. To the best of my knowledge, if you plug into a station whose paired charger is putting out the maximum power available you'll start out severely throttled, but this throttling should ease up as the other car's SoC rises and more power becomes available for your car. At that point you should have "power priority" even if the other car leaves and is replaced by another thirsty car.

Reactions: callmesam
Actually, I just noticed this thread:

Looks like you can buy a Supercharger

Is it possible that you were actually at this 'private' Supercharger? That could certainly explain the slow charge rate, if the stations were limited to 60kW then the 30kW that you were seeing would make sense if you were using a station that was paired with another actively charging car.

Naw, the OP is talking about this Supercharger: Place Vertu Shopping Centre
I'm not sure why he felt the need to double post it.