TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla "taxi" video

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by clp1, Nov 6, 2016.

1. clp1

clp1 Member

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

This video is from the Dubai Future Foundation

There's a big push in Dubai for self driving vehicles to make 25% of all trips on public streets by 2030.

3. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

And from over 6 months ago, so it's not related to the recent AP2.0/Fully Self Driving announcement by Tesla. (Just an FYI in case anyone thinks the technology shown in the Model S in this concept video is what Tesla plans to offer)

4. clp1

clp1 Member

How do you think they will make it work then? I'm sure it won't be just like this video, but to completely dismiss all of it? I thought it was kinda neat to think they could have something like that on the windows.

5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

We can completely dismiss it as anything associated with Tesla besides the car in the video.

In all likelihood, Tesla will use the center screen for user input.

OLED touch displays on windows would be cool though, but I wouldn't want fingerprints all over the window.

6. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Huh? I didn't dismiss anything. The title of the video is "New TESLA technology car (self driving taxi-car)". I was cautioning readers of this thread that the video is old and is not from Tesla, so they should not assume what's shown in it has anything to do with Tesla's recent announcement.

7. clp1

clp1 Member

I guess I named the thread wrong...I know it wasn't from Tesla, just thought the idea was neat.

Personally, I have no idea how the ride network will work, I am curious though since I a thinking of getting the full autonomous version of Model 3 depending on what options come in at price wise.

Do you think riders would be sitting in the front then, in order to reach the center screen? Is the new Model S steering mechanical yet or "fly by wire". What would stop someone from turning the steering wheel (or hitting the brakes) while riding if they sit in front? "fly by wire" you could just disable input from the steering wheel.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Why ?

9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Because Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum wants it to be so. The plan will cut down on costs and traffic accidents. The project will be a joint venture by Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority and the Dubai Future Foundation.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Thanks,

I found this fluff piece that perhaps had a grain of useful information, saying
    I don't know why that should be so but at least a motivation is offered. Unsaid but my speculation, there is concern about future air quality, and given the oil kingdom's penchant for govermentalized solutions an autonomous EV fleet run by the local DOT may be attractive. Or maybe they just don't like the foreign riff-raff who tend to drive taxis. Trumpism exists everywhere.