Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla tech advantage vs current and future competitors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great article; The current competitors are to far from Tesla. And their cars cant fit a bigger battery. But I think it all comes Down to the superchargers, and the Gen3 range.

But that girl...
Why isnt she working in Tesla? Or is she maybe the annouencer of supercharger? :p This is so insane, goodbye Shell, BP, Exxon, Statoil. etc..

excellent- thanks for that Alex and I particularly agree with your conclusion regarding the forward competitive advantage they will enjoy;

And I imagine it will continue. The runner up winner in the INtel comp won on a SuperCapacitor invention (Tesla should put her through school)

18-year-old Eesha Khare invents a revolutionary device that can charge a phone in 20 seconds - Sci/Tech - DNA

Musk commented on the atricle avout the girl, that he hoped that technology would be out there when gen3 arrives.
Unledd its tesla getting that technology, it would be bad.
I guess it also hints to that gen3 have some lower range

Tesla's big advantage over everyone is the connector! By going along with the limited vision of the current "standard" connectors, other brands have forever limited their charging rate. Only Tesla knew that high current rates are REQUIRED for maximum success of an EV. By the time the other brands figure this out, Tesla will already have a nationwide supercharger network. Other brands will have to pay Tesla to use it, or make one of their own at high cost. This is going to be interesting. It is not about the cars, it is the connector!

Tesla's big advantage over everyone is the connector! By going along with the limited vision of the current "standard" connectors, other brands have forever limited their charging rate. Only Tesla knew that high current rates are REQUIRED for maximum success of an EV. By the time the other brands figure this out, Tesla will already have a nationwide supercharger network. Other brands will have to pay Tesla to use it, or make one of their own at high cost. This is going to be interesting. It is not about the cars, it is the connector!

They know that they need a high rate of charge but the problem is the proprietary computer systems that allow for the high rate of charge. This is what the Tesla Model S' specialty is and this is where the strengths lie for Tesla. The computer talks to the charger and constantly adjusts to make sure the batteries are not overloaded.

AlexW - Great first post! Excellent overview, would love to see you expand this analysis to also include:

1) Ford Focus Electric
2) Fiat 500e
3) As mentioned above, charging advantage of Tesla vs. these competitors

Would be great to see a follow-up piece to expand on this analysis even further...

No other brand has the ability to build out a supercharger network like Tesla simply due to the relationship with SolarCity. I assume most competitors don't have a SolarCity to work with meaning they may build out a charging network based on fossil fuels or any other non-environmentally friendly thing defeating the purpose of an EV in the end.

excellent- thanks for that Alex and I particularly agree with your conclusion regarding the forward competitive advantage they will enjoy;

Thanks kenliles. I'll be writing a lot more about Tesla, follow me @teslational.

But I do have to point out that my conclusion was not actually that Tesla has a clear competitive advantage going forward. Against a lot of the competitors yes, but against the Renault, and in particular the Fluence Z.E., almost none.

While I'm a big fan of Tesla, I want to always be careful about being factual and clear-eyed. If the evidence says Tesla only has a 2% advantage over one of its competitors, I'm don't want to downplay that.

Thanks for reading.

AlexW - Great first post! Excellent overview, would love to see you expand this analysis to also include:

1) Ford Focus Electric
2) Fiat 500e
3) As mentioned above, charging advantage of Tesla vs. these competitors

Would be great to see a follow-up piece to expand on this analysis even further...

I'll definitely look up the specs on those cars and add them to the table. I guess a graph would be nice too.

Quantifying the charging advantage is a great

Last edited by a moderator:
No other brand has the ability to build out a supercharger network like Tesla simply due to the relationship with SolarCity. I assume most competitors don't have a SolarCity to work with meaning they may build out a charging network based on fossil fuels or any other non-environmentally friendly thing defeating the purpose of an EV in the end.

I wouldn't put too much weight on the SolarCity relationship. Yes, Elon's involved in both, but I'm sure there are a lot of companies that can, and have, built solar panel-based charging stations, and would happily do so for current and future competitors to Tesla.

I'd agree with previous posts in the thread, though, that the higher amperage charging the Model S supports is a real advantage. I'd say that's more important, for as long as that advantage exists.

And one other thought. Having solar-based charging stations vs grid-based charging stations would be a cost advantage for Tesla, but I doubt it will be much of a product advantage. For Tesla to succeed on a mainstream scale, it cannot rely on customers being greenies who care about where their electricity comes from. Tesla has to make better cars with a better driving experience, period. Environmental benefits should only be thought of as icing. Much the same way on a financial basis, Tesla is not counting on ZEV credits. Tesla wants to be, and absolutely should be, evaluated on automotive margins, just like any other car company.

I agree. I think "Green" definitely matters to a big chunk of the market but at the same time the Model S got 99/100 from Consumer Reports based on amazing driving ability and all other car things. Electric was just icing on the cake.

I just worry that the Gen3 is too far away that it gives others time to catch up. The Gen3 is going to be the best selling car in the world. I can't imagine it otherwise. The Model S is an amazing car but i can't afford it. If there was a true lease price, then maybe i can get it for 2 years but no way i can pay $900+ out of pocket for 60+ months no matter what the implied savings on gas and time are.
The Gen3 will give you an out of pocket price of $400-500, something like a BMW 3 series or Benz C Class. Then on top of that you get your savings of gas and time. The Musk Math on the Gen3 is going to be so enticing it'll be hard for it not to be the best selling car in the world or at least america considering you'll have FREE "gas" via the supercharging network.

Other manufacturers creating lots of really good electric cars is not something I worry about. It's something I hope for.

I don't think the Gen3 will fail if other companies get similar priced EV's out at the same time or sooner. I just think that being first is a big competitive advantage. General market acceptance will happen and other companies will join the EV world or they will risk losing tons of business to Tesla and the likes. I just hope that Tesla really stays ahead of the curve when it comes to technology and in turn will give Tesla something like a 50% or higher market share of the entire auto market.