Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla tech is great, but other companies are starting to push

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love to have 360 birdseye on my Tesla. I'm sure we will some day. I would prioritize that feature seemingly how Tesla has. Not critical. That said, to minimize the value and perceived value of Tesla's large screen is a joke. It takes someone about 5 milliseconds to comment on how awesome the screen is when they get in my car. Then they say, "that backup camera is amazing."

We had that on a 25 K Infiniti QX50 and we miss it! Had to buy curb guards for the Tesla because of a lack of passenger side viewing on the Model S. I will add that the adaptive cruise on the Infiniti doesn't work nearly as well as Tesla's TACC.

Reactions: MYB_S90D
Sure, however Tesla is way behind on that. See what Waymo cars can do, or even Uber. Then compare to what Tesla is able to do today.

When did Apple ever ship unfinished products? Steve Jobs would never let an unfinished, unpolished product go out. Today, sure, Apple is going down the path of "must ship by holiday season" but even so they don't charge thousands for vaporware features. Elon sold us on AP1 which will "find you anywhere on private property", what he delivered is summon with fine print which is "as long as anywhere is in a straight line out of your garage, within 40 feet, and you are watching to make sure the car doesn't hit anything". There are more examples of Elon selling a grand vision and delivering a joke. Show me when Apple did things like this please.

Tesla has a LONG way to be remotely like Apple.

AP is Beta.
Pre-order is gimmicky to get capital.

well Audi and BMW aren't looking so good for reliability according to the latest JD Power survey (UK), Jaguar, Volvo and Range Rover not exactly stellar either.
View attachment 316116

I don't put a whole lot of value in JD Power, but at least this is a 3 year owners review, and not there initial quality survey, which is meaningless.

Range Rover and Jaguar have historically always been a very unreliable vehicle, and as a result they have some of the fastest depreciation available. At least in North America. (Interestingly, the Volt and Leaf make this list also) There are plenty of repeat customers who love BMW and Audi but swear that they would never own one; they lease them only as they don't want to get into the expensive repairs after warranty expires.

Where are the Porsche and Lexus on this list? Historically some of the manufacturers with the best quality. It looks like an ad for Korean vehicles. This surveys always have to be taken with a grain of salt, because consumers know when they are buying a Kia or a Hyundai they don't have a reputation for reliability, so owners tend to complain less and overlook minor issues than say a Mercedes or a BMW (or Tesla) owner. How many times have you read in these threads about "I bought a 100K car and it _________ ?" " "For a 100 K car it should have better ___________". "I bought a 100K and if Tesla doesn't _______________ I am going to start a lawsuit because I have the money to hire a good lawyer!"

I'd settle for... <much hyperbole deleted>

You are missing the point I'm making.... there are a number of people for whom these baubles and gizmos seem more important than things like range, fast charging network availability, charge rate, energy efficiency, etc...

If that's you, then fine. Everybody has their priorities... I just find them strange when almost the entire point of a BEV is to provide a completely different method of fueling and propelling personal transportation than has been the norm for 100 years.

I'd personally love to have some rear cupholders and NAV waypoints on my S. But I wouldn't trade being able to drive 250+ miles on a charge and access to the supercharging network to get them...

Last edited:
Ive had my Model S for 2 months now and have had my share of other luxury and supercars. IMHO, Tesla has a fantastic electronics stack, and has some gimmicks that others dont have. Tesla is also missing some basics and some forward thinking that the competition has in it's wheelhouse. Tesla has a better electronics stack than nearly anyone. Ive had the current versions of the BMW 7 series and MBZ S-Class and they just dont compare from a infotainment perspective. Hands down, Tesla wins here. Tesla loses in some details. As an example, why doesnt the tesla have surround view cameras? It does a great job with telling me how far I am from walls, but the surround view camera would be nice. The competition has been using these since 2010ish. Why dont we have air conditioned seats? My F250 has air conditioned seats but my Tesla doesnt even have them as an option. From a luxury interior, Tesla has come a long way, but still has a long way to go. For a $130K car, why isnt the top half of the door wrapped in leather? Why isnt perforated or quilted leather an option? Why arent massaging seats an option? Why isnt there a rear climate control option? Why arent there soft-close doors? Why isnt there an electric sunshade? Why isnt there more prolific use of carbon fiber or wood as an option? Why arent there carbon ceramic brakes as an option? Point being that Tesla needs to better understand the luxury market to truly dominate in it. S-class and 7series owners have to make "sacrifices" to come to a Tesla. I did it and have no regrets, but do wish that Tesla should address some of these gaps in their product line.

Reactions: MYB_S90D
That is cool but I find the ability to turn on your a/c remotely or use your phone as a virtual key if you lose/forget/misplace ur key fob far more valuable.

After all, what good is looking around your car if its still 150 degrees inside when you get back to it ;)
when the phone app works. Twice now it hasnt so someone had to bring my key to me at work. Work in a classified building where my fob cannot be taken in because its always transmitting.

The Model S is so outdated and old now that it SHOULD be suffering significant reduction in sales
(if one is to apply historic automotive industry experience), but sales are increasing. I find your argument that Tesla sales will begin to suffer in 1 to 4 years very unconvincing and not based in any observable facts.
I can see what you mean (in bold) but its the only game in town that is styled very well and not looking like some jonnycab from the movie total recall- thats why.

Tesla will need to step up its game soon to keep sales AFTER AND IF porsche/jaguar make good on getting cars to market.
Saw a few M3 driving around recently and saw a bunch at the SC and not impressed compared to the s in styling.Thats just me but it looks like a stunted s and not as sexy as the s.I am glad the M3 is there though.

Blame that on the Model 3!
of course thats true. Was at the SC and ran into a couple(older) that put $ down on the 3 online and were deciding between colors. They wanted an s but couldnt justify the $$$$$ vs the 3 for what you get.I can see that as the 3 may actually have a faster screen and newer tech in it at this point. But the looks of the 3 to me are blah

We had that on a 25 K Infiniti QX50 and we miss it! Had to buy curb guards for the Tesla because of a lack of passenger side viewing on the Model S. I will add that the adaptive cruise on the Infiniti doesn't work nearly as well as Tesla's TACC.
agree...getting too close to a curb is an issue with the model s as is no warning in front spoiler to getting close to a barier

Then you must have the only AP1 Model S that it works (your sig says 2015 Model S90D). Or maybe you just haven't driven a car where it actually works. I've had AP1 and AP2 Model S equipped with Tesla's "blind spot warning" and drive a number of loaners, and will tell you it doesn't work reliably at all. At highway speeds it's 50% accurate at best. Even Tesla took the feature out of their website, and never implemented the mirror light, which was wired in for AP1 cars by the way.

You could google it, or just view the video below:
Audi Q7 - Animation rear cross-traffic assist - Audi MediaTV

Then I guess I must have that unicorn car... Has always worked, never missed a car yet, but I always check visually anyhow so it doesn't really matter either way...

Jeff

I miss that feature too from my Q50, but to be honest, camera resolution on Infinities was so bad, that feature was mostly useless, since you couldn't really tell where the line/curb was.

As an example, why doesnt the tesla have surround view cameras? It does a great job with telling me how far I am from walls, but the surround view camera would be nice.

Elon said they're coming as an OTA enhancement

Why dont we have air conditioned seats? My F250 has air conditioned seats but my Tesla doesnt even have them as an option.
I've got them - discontinued for a while I know, and now being made available again.

Why isnt perforated or quilted leather an option?
Perforated comes with air conditioned seats. Quilted? - Hideous. Just No.

Why arent massaging seats an option?
Massaging seats are utterly beyond me. I don't understand them and like quilted seats I would pay not to have them.

A For a $130K car, why isnt the top half of the door wrapped in leather?
mine are with the premium interior

Why isnt there a rear climate control option?
agree HVAC needs improvements in the MS

Why arent there soft-close doors?
Well the MX has them - I guess it is just a matter of time before the MS gets them. Really I couldn't care a hoot about that tbh.

Why isnt there an electric sunshade?
because Tesla use a high quality heat reflecting glass that negates the need - but ok if it is important to you

Why isnt there more prolific use of carbon fiber or wood as an option?
I've got carbon trim and it is just enough for me. Personal taste - but to be fair the MS is not trying to be an ultra-lightweight hypercar, and I don't think it is trying to be an english wood panelled drawing room either.

Why arent there carbon ceramic brakes as an option?
Doesn't need them - regen takes enough of the load the stock brakes are barely used as it is. Not to mention Carbon discs can be a temperature dependent pain for general road use .

Point being that Tesla needs to better understand the luxury market to truly dominate in it. S-class and 7series owners have to make "sacrifices" to come to a Tesla. I did it and have no regrets, but do wish that Tesla should address some of these gaps in their product line.

Overall Tesla to need to improve i agree, and no doubt they also know this but have to prioritize, though more so on the quality consistency front than anything else.
But yet again we have this view that unless Tesla offer every single option that any manufacturer has ever offered on any car at any time, then Tesla are inadquate. I don't agree.

I very much like the Tesla clean elegant interior, and with some gentle revisions and improved fit and finish I'm just fine with it.

Change it to MB glossy, button infested bling and I would think hard before buying another.

Note also how VAG/Audi/Porsche have gone from hating on touchscreens, well to touchscreens really, the new Mission E (when it is eventually released) appears to have a massively reduced button count. They are moving towards Tesla not the other way around.

Last edited:
Only thing I miss in the Tesla is a surround parking camera. In all other respects I much prefer my X to any BMW or other premium SUV. I expect I would feel much the same about the S too. The all-electric drivetrain, big intuitive touchscreen, OTA updates, AP etc are all still way ahead of the competition. There are specific "tech" features that are better in some cars, but as a complete package non come close IMHO. They just don't seem fully committed to EV given their immense ICE baggage. I'm watching the Chinese efforts more closely for future competition. Some of their concept vehicles look pretty ambitious to say the least e.g. NIO EVE.

because Tesla use a high quality heat reflecting glass that negates the need - but ok if it is important to you

Agree on your perspective in the UK. Try the heat reflecting glass in Texas.

Elon said they're coming as an OTA enhancement

Pretty hard to do when the MS is missing cameras in the mirrors or other suitable locations. Not sure if this is the case with newer cars with FSD.

mine are with the premium interior

Have the premium interior too. Unless something changed on the 2016 and newer cars, the very top of the door is an embossed plastic.

Perforated comes with air conditioned seats. Quilted? - Hideous. Just No.

That's personal preference. AMG, Aston Martin, BMW, apparently disagree with your views on quilted. Its not standard, but its an option.

Doesn't need them - regen takes enough of the load the stock brakes are barely used as it is. Not to mention Carbon discs can be a temperature dependent pain for general road use .

I agree that we don't NEED them, but its a nice option. CCB's hardly dust at all, and they are not noticeably temperature dependent. Not sure why you think they are a pain, when they outlast steel, and outperform steel brakes in nearly every way. Have them on my McLaren, Viper, Porsche, and MB.