Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla technicians unable to diagnose electrical problem in 2018 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We purchased our Model S from Tesla; it appears it was being used as a test drive model. We love the car. However a few months ago the car was putting up multiple errors on the dashboard and the car would not stop. I called Tesla customer service and the car had to be towed into he service center. The car was with the service center for weeks before they were able to “correct” the problem. The car was picked up and in less than 24 hours the car started displaying the error codes and would not start. The car was again towed to a service center. The car has been in the service center since mid March (it is now mid May). The car was in the diagnostic stage for weeks when it was determined the car needed a BMS. Tesla order the BMS on or about April 21, 2022. As of this writing the part is on “back order” (never mind that I was able to order a Tesla brand BMS on my own and received it 3 weeks ago).

If the problem was the BMS, I would think this would have been one of the dirt things they would have tried. So I have been without my car since March 2022 and only able to “discuss” the status by text.

Has anyone had a similar situation and is so, how did you resolve it? And any input on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Gary

The BMS is in the sealed rear part of the battery pack, I'd be surprised if they were ordering a BMS to replace and not a full battery, either way, not much you can do other than maybe press for a replacement battery whilst they repair your pack. I've heard them do this to get you back on the road.
Takes 30 mins to sway a battery pack in a SC.